Embankment Road T&RSMD

Steadfast

A while since the last update, there's been a few new arrivals at the depot recently.

66725 has joined the fleet, here seen arriving with another refurbished mk3 from Derby

post-6899-0-52311900-1353603471_thumb.jpg

Next is a first look at a test back dating of the layout, the signage is all velcro'd on to allow for rebranding, the idea being I can run whichever era I fancy. The 47 I've had for ages, being a respray and detail job based on the new model 47 from when it was first released. There's another couple in the cupboard, one of which will be getting Intercity Swallow. The 101 is a stunning model and I've been looking for an excuse to buy since it was released, and rolling back to the early 90s gives that. Anyway, photos

post-6899-0-61826600-1353603468_thumb.jpg

post-6899-0-82860100-1353603469_thumb.jpg

post-6899-0-50084900-1353603473_thumb.jpg

post-6899-0-10649800-1353603476_thumb.jpg

post-6899-0-28004900-1353603478_thumb.jpg

post-6899-0-07969800-1353603480_thumb.jpg

In time there'll be either an NSE or a Large Logo 50, Scotrail/NSE 47706 and some Intercity HST stock too. I'm not sure, but I think the 150 probably should be in the earlier 'Sprinter' branded livery rather than the Regional Railways it carries

jo

• Like 19

I would say not enough tractors, but that would be pointless, because even an infinite number of tractors still wouldn't be enough tractors! :sungum:

I know should know having spent several hours operating it, but where's the long grass at the front right of the layout from? It looks especially good in the low down shots!

Cheers,

Jack

Edited by Rods_of_Revolution
  • Like 1

Hi guys,

Alex, that sounds like a good 50 to do. I am a little undecided, whilst I love the NSE livery on them, a large logo one would be easier to paint, and I could get away with it on a railtour with my present day stock. Hmmmmmmm decisions!

Jack, I've got a pair of tractors in front of me now, but they're going DRS blue :sungum: I'm tempted to get an RfD machine when Farish bring out the refurbished 37s. As for the grassy bits, its all around the car park at the front of the layout. It's been there about a year I think...

jo

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks guys

It'll be dual era Swifty, the signage on the layout front is just velcro'd for easy changes.

All that needs to change on the layout is one depot sign and the road vehicles. The rest is suitably neutral I think off the top of my head

I'd never abandon the current day look, it's what I know best, but Intercity Swallow and NSE have a certain appeal lol

Jo

• Like 2

Hi Jo,

Are you still un sure about what to colours to paint your 50? I would Reccomend large logo as defience, BR blue as Exeter, that green livery on 50007 (don't know what it is) and my favourite Load Haul. The lining on 50007 may drive you crazy and same with NSE, lot of masking on a little model! :)

Is your fantastic layout appearing at any shows this year as I would love to see it? Are you at showcase this year?

Thanks,

Tom

Edited by Swifty11
  • Like 1

Cheers Rob, I think the building helps a tad! ;-) I agree, whilst the LoadHaul 50 looks ace, it's about 15 years too late for me.

Hi Tom, I'm still a bit undecided on livery but it'll probably be revised NSE or large logo with NSE logos, no reason other than being my favourites on a 50. I haven't done any wok on the 50 yet, so plenty of time yet to decide.

I'm booked into Plymouth in August, so that'll be like a mini homecoming of sorts for the layout. The layout has done Showcase, attending in 2012, sorry!

Jo

• Like 2

Another candidate that goes with the FGW theme for the class 50...

Found this on the railwaycentre.com

May have to scroll down a bit...

http://www.therailwaycentre.com/Picture of the Day index/Old_POD_March2007.html

Oooooh now that is an eyesore! I'd have to do it class 57 style if I took that route!

A couple of nice pics of FGW refurb stock moves there though!

jo

Edited by ewsjo
  • Like 1

Cheers Rob, I think the building helps a tad! ;-) I agree, whilst the LoadHaul 50 looks ace, it's about 15 years too late for me.

Hi Tom, I'm still a bit undecided on livery but it'll probably be revised NSE or large logo with NSE logos, no reason other than being my favourites on a 50. I haven't done any wok on the 50 yet, so plenty of time yet to decide.

I'm booked into Plymouth in August, so that'll be like a mini homecoming of sorts for the layout. The layout has done Showcase, attending in 2012, sorry!

Jo

Shame I really wanted to see it up north!

Just posted a few links of an FGW 50! Posted a second link, you have to scroll down a bit on the link

• Like 1

Oooooh now that is an eyesore! I'd have to do it class 57 style if I took that route!

A couple of nice pics of FGW refurb stock moves there though!

jo

Have to agree! It dosent look too brilliant, thankfully it's just a mock up on a website, I don't think the FGW suits the 50 and if it's applied in real life I think it should be classed as vandalism!

Note the pink nameplate on the side. (I guess named Barbie lol)

• Like 1

I've seen that pic before Tom, good to see it again, reminded me it's on my 'to do' list!

Thanks Bob, glad you enjoyed the pictures!

jo

You never know, you could pick up a broken power car at a model shop and convert it?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Sooooo, a bit of progress with some rolling stock for the 1990s. The new Farish Mk1 is a lovely little model, but a few little tweaks can make it better for modelling them in more recent times. Most of the end steps were removed with electrification taking place in the 1960s, leaving just the lower one or two in place. Bright orange ETH sockets were fitted to a large number of them too. Arguably a lot of work isn't visible mid-train, but since the layout is about shunting individual vehicles it was worth the focus on the little details. I'm tempted to looking into having some ETH sockets 3D printed or etched to speed this work up considerably.

First up the Farish Mk1 TPO has had some weathering and the previously mentioned ETH socket, made from plastic strip, with some 0.2 mm wire for the cable. Air pipes and a drop head coupler are fitted. You notice the lack of a Rapido or other coupling, more on that in a bit.

post-6899-0-95535000-1361725667_thumb.jpg

The blue Mk1 has had the same work, but with the addition of the removal of the end steps. The heavier weathering and standard BR blue paint made this a bit less daunting than the TPO, hence that one retaining the steps.

post-6899-0-74968800-1361725669_thumb.jpg

post-6899-0-22011800-1361725671.jpg

So, the couplings. You've probably noticed that one of the air pipes on each buffer beam looks a bit chunkier than those around it. So, what is it? It's elastic, with a 1x1mm magnet superglued to the end. The idea is a shameless rip off, sorry, designed with compatibility in mind, of the magnetic couplings devised here by Jack. I've developed the idea a little in that both ends of the rolling stock have both magnets, so should have double the strength, as well as allowing stock to be used either way round to improve flexibility when shunting.

post-6899-0-80978800-1361725672_thumb.jpg

Another benefit of this system, is that locos can carry full bufferbeam detailing at both ends, something I'm keen on to improve their appearance. All that's required is to remove one of the plastic air pipes, and replace with part of a steel staple.

post-6899-0-82503400-1361725676.jpg

post-6899-0-93751800-1361725674_thumb.jpg

The less said about the test coupling of my stock to Jack's the better, as, ummm, guess who managed to fit the magnets so it repels the original conversions...anyway it's not a major problem, I've only done these two Mk1s so far as a test, so it'll be easy to fit new, neater, elastic and rotate the magnets 180 degrees. Also, it means I can fit slightly longer elastic to be on the safe side to prevent derailments. The plan is for all non Microtrains fitted stock to gain the magnetic couplings, so allowing proper shunting of the train of TTAs etc.

jo 

• Like 11