Embankment Road T&RSMD

Steadfast

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments guys, here's the latest little project, started Sunday and did some more before work this morning. Well, yesterday morning now I guess. Anyway, the folk at Embankment Road have somewhere to park now.

The pic shows marking out, the bushes are Noch strips, like green stick on moustaches, stuck down with superglue.

post-6899-0-97352500-1320109825_thumb.jpg

Here's the current progress, the tarmac texture was Games Workshop acrylic, Fortress Grey with Chaos Black washes to darken the shade. Various lighter and darker washes were added to give variety in texture, including the sweep of cars coming into the spaces. The brick pattern (read paved) plasticard was cut earlier, and will be painted before fixing down

post-6899-0-49755100-1320109972_thumb.jpg

I've also added some plastic dummy lights to the layout, a pack of Faller street lights of varying styles. Double headed around the fuel point, with downlighters elsewhere, will photograph when I get chance

More soon

jo

• Like 7

• 3 months later...

So...it was mentioned before, and I said no. But I was in East Somerset Models yesterday, and saw a Farish bodyshell for sale. I spent the rest of the day thinking how best to achieve what I want...that is, a class 50!

post-6899-0-60343900-1329079317_thumb.jpg

The body will be given a nose job and detailed. The bogies are from the new model 37, at this point its sat on a pair from what will be DRS 37038. I plan to get hold of a spare pair, and the black rings that the bogies clip into. This will be used with a spare motor and a home made chassis. These bogies are a world away from those used on the Farish 50 (and old style 37) chassis, so it's worth the effort to use them

post-6899-0-04686000-1329079334_thumb.jpg

Now, paint wise, LoadHaul is oh so very very tempting, but I think more than likely I'll be doing Defiance in Large Logo with a grey roof, as it was for most of the era of the layout

post-6899-0-40081100-1329079327_thumb.jpg

More soon, including a car park update

jo

• Like 7

Wow! Where have I been!

Some brilliant progress since I last checked in here. The class 60 night shots make me want to go and buy one! :D

Looking forward to paying more attention to this one in the future!

Regards

Lee :)

Enjoyed reading through just now, especially your experiences with foamboard. I'm thinking of using it myself as weight will be a key concern for me really, so it being very lightweight will be rather good!

Cheers, foamboard is definitely advantagious in terms of transportation, just be careful every time you throw a point that the layout doesn't slide away!

jo

Looks an interesting project, good job in East Somerset Models I was too distracted by the imminent pub visit or I may have purchased something Heljan and O gauge...

It's going to be tricky moving the steps on the bogie, I look forward to see how you tackle that. As well as rebuilding the cab, that's gotta be a more difficult job than John Merrick's plastic surgeon has!

Cheers,

Jack

Edited by Rods_of_Revolution

Yeah it was so tempting to leave with more than I did lol! I know what you mean about the O scale stuff

I'll do a proper workbench thread on the 50 once work commences, but yeah, the surgery will be rather, erm, involved! The steps aren't a problem, they're a separate moulding so just ping them off, then fill the holes. Making replacements to the 50 style could be, erm, interesting!

jo

• 3 weeks later...

So the photo of a confused cat was the result of a quick photoshoot in Sunday's sunny weather. Here's a few of the kind of thing I was aiming for, trying out some new angles. Some work, some don't. I'm not really sure what 60054 is doing on Laira, though...

post-6899-0-83046300-1331597162_thumb.jpg

A 153 goes into the shed for maintenance

post-6899-0-13998000-1331597193_thumb.jpg

Various stock stabled outside the depot

post-6899-0-32035000-1331597273_thumb.jpg

post-6899-0-51663400-1331597283_thumb.jpg

post-6899-0-36866200-1331597292_thumb.jpg

post-6899-0-94263500-1331597338_thumb.jpg

Some overviews

post-6899-0-24545200-1331597738_thumb.jpg

post-6899-0-68464100-1331597755_thumb.jpg

153 comes off the depot, followed by the 60

post-6899-0-99929300-1331597746_thumb.jpg

post-6899-0-89873900-1331597764_thumb.jpg

08947 waits to drag a power car out for refueling

post-6899-0-82805600-1331597781_thumb.jpg

43136 is the power car in question, having undergone bogie maintenance

post-6899-0-00612500-1331597798_thumb.jpg

And finally an SPA was left here last weekend after some engineering work

post-6899-0-61512700-1331597817_thumb.jpg

Any thoughts on what works and what doesn't please guys? Thanks!

jo

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Lovely layout and based on an interesting prototype by comparison with most TMD layouts.

Even painted darker, I do think the Noch hedge lets things down. It does look like a moustache or perhaps a draught excluder. You could certainly do better with carpet underlay. Or if you really want to go for the "full monty" some brass etched tree bits.

• Like 1

Jo, who cares what 60054 is doing on Laira, what a great set of pics !

Ive followed this with interest from the start, loved the way the scratchbuilt structures were executed, especially that roofline and now youve produced a cracking set of pics. The first of 60054 had me double take as did the high overhead 153 shot.

To get anyone to double take in OO is an achievement but to do it in N is brilliant.

Looking forward to that 50 being finished, no filthy Lo~@H*ul though...........please !!!!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Nice work Jo - I think the side on and three quarter views work best for me.

In terms of the hedge why not try a little static grass instead?

HTH

Edited by bcnPete
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jo

Very nice job, but as you asked about what does and doesn't work.... when I look at the depot end on I feel that it looks a little "unfinished." Trying to put my finger on it, I think it's a combination of the very even, unweathered colouring, and the lack of any window bars in the glazing - I am not familiar with the prototype but having a single pane of glass that large *looks* unrealistic, even if it is authentic.

Having said that, it's only the very very high standard of everything else that highlights those points!

Also, I am especially impressed with the weathering on the underframes of your units and coaching stock - care to share the technique?

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 1

Must get my FGW Mk3s finished......and the 150!!!

Later;

STU from EGDL

Hello Stu,

I'm looking forward to seeing your FGW stuff - I know it's been on the go a while. Which reminds me I must finish the 150, its currently only decalled on one side...

Lovely layout and based on an interesting prototype by comparison with most TMD layouts.

Even painted darker, I do think the Noch hedge lets things down. It does look like a moustache or perhaps a draught excluder. You could certainly do better with carpet underlay. Or if you really want to go for the "full monty" some brass etched tree bits.

Hi Joseph, I agree it's far from perfect for the time being, but I've been weighing up options. Now cheaper devices are available, I may well give static grass a go like Pete suggested, or maybe some of the "Kermit Dandruff" used on the other bushes on the layout

Jo, who cares what 60054 is doing on Laira, what a great set of pics !

I like it!

Ive followed this with interest from the start, loved the way the scratchbuilt structures were executed, especially that roofline and now youve produced a cracking set of pics. The first of 60054 had me double take as did the high overhead 153 shot.

To get anyone to double take in OO is an achievement but to do it in N is brilliant.

Cheers Jon, coming from you that's quite a compliment! As you've shown, natural light helps! As for the Loadhaul comment.... :nono: hahaha don't worry, it'll be large logo! Loadhaul's for 60s :sungum:

Trying to put my finger on it, I think it's a combination of the very even, unweathered colouring, and the lack of any window bars in the glazing - I am not familiar with the prototype but having a single pane of glass that large *looks* unrealistic, even if it is authentic.

Hi Ben,

Here's a photo of the real thing - dividing bars and all http://www.flickr.com/photos/dmc1947/5759380103/

The one piece glazing was thrown in to get it finished for its first exhibition, and was something I was planning to return to, but had forgotten until now!

Also, I am especially impressed with the weathering on the underframes of your units and coaching stock - care to share the technique?

Of course - it's nowt more than a couple of jars of Railmatch enamel! Previously I'd only used Frame Dirt and Sleeper Grime, whichever came to hand, but the 153, 60054 and the mk3s use brake dirt too for the first time.

Step by step that applies to the 153 and mk3s, once the chassis is separate from the body:

- Pick out the details in correct colours (orange wheelslip kit, yellow springs, rusty exhaust etc)

- Brush on a relatively thick coat of Sleeper Grime, let it dry for 10 mins or so

- Take a soft brush, about 8-10mm dia dipped in white spirit. Wipe most off on a piece of Kitchen Roll, then use it damp to remove most of the paint. On the 153 this left it in recesses etc, and on the mk3s it gave a streaking effect down the skirting, around panel joins etc.

- Brake dust was airbrushed over the bogies, ends of the underframe for that thrown up by wheels, and plows

- A light - medium coating of Sleeper Grime was then airbushed to blend it all together. On the 153 a very wet brush of white spirits was used to remove the excess from the solebar, steps and plows, leaving a brown residue in the corners

HTH

jo