Brunel Terrace (GTH Phase II Completed)

I have finally completed Phase II of the GTH project - which has now become "Brunel Terrace". This was fairly easy to do - although rather fiddly and time consuming. As always, the digital camera is very cruel.

Anyway, to set the scene: Brunel Terrace contains many desirable period residences, is near the station :icon_thumbsup2: and the shops - would suit professional couples/young families. Although some of the properties need attention and may need modernising, all are Grade II Listed...

post-123-12570867411149_thumb.jpg

The local GP is on the corner...

post-123-12570869221288_thumb.jpg

The milkman delivers daily (remember that?:unsure:)

post-123-12570869819063_thumb.jpg

The local copper (PC Steve "tiny" Large) keeps an eye on the place...

post-123-12570870660027_thumb.jpg

post-123-12570871315064_thumb.jpg

Some of the neighbours are keen urban gardeners...

post-123-12570871824423_thumb.jpg

One end of the road is more upmarket...

post-123-12570873410583_thumb.jpg

than the other...

post-123-12570873785172_thumb.jpg

In the 1930s, people often stayed in and made their own entertainment :D

post-123-12570874947013_thumb.jpg

In all a nice place to be...

post-123-12570875577873_thumb.jpg

Now, having indulged in some scene setting here are some construction notes:

• The access piers were made of plasticard and sanded to fit. Due to the fact that the resin castings had warped during the moulding, no true straight edge exists :(, so every access pier is different from its' neighbour - which was a real pain in the a*** to do
  • Railings are cut down Faller HO factory railings - they are, most certainly, too high for the terrace but are acceptable
  • The pavement is laid (badly by the council [that's my story, at least]) with individual paving stones, painted various shades of grey and weathered with Tamiya NATO black. Some laser cut cardboard manholes have been installed, which I may either paint or remove.
  • The street lamps are OO and are wired in series, I may go back and rewire them in parallel as they seem to be a little too dim when run on 12v (my variable power supply for the non motive portion of my layout only goes to 12V)
  • The street furniture (Lamps, street sign and the telephone box) are pretty much fixed in terms of what I want to put there, although I may change the telephone box to an earlier model (I have a very nice brass kit for a very early phone box type)
  • The bike is from Preiser -- very fiddly to assemble and paint
  • The patient and the policeman are also from Preiser (I think - either that or Faller) and are HO - hence the small plod (I think that in the 1930s the Police had to be a minimum of 5ft8in+ or so - which is 22mm at least, the HO copper is smaller)
  • All "front gardens" have something in them - whether plants of garden furniture (as shown) or crates of beer (not shown)

The next (and semi-final) phase of the GTH project is to paint, assemble and fix the roofs and chimneys in place. I have a spare chimney/dividing wall casting and I will see if I can install a working smoke unit in one of the castings. Finally, I'll complete the wiring harness and make a removable back plate for the GTH. Then, it gets plonked on the layout. :icon_wave::icon_clap:

As always, comments, criticisms and mild ribaldry welcomed.

F

I have just spent the last two evenings staying in the Paddington area (a reasonale base for visiting Expong when travelling from Plymouth)and feel certain we walked down this street looking for a reasonable pub.

Wally

If you go to Trinity Church Square in South London (not too far from London Bridge) you'll get a real sense of Deja Vu - as Brunel Terrace is based on Trinity Church Square (almost, but not quite, faithfully)

F

If you go to Trinity Church Square in South London (not too far from London Bridge) you'll get a real sense of Deja Vu - as Brunel Terrace is based on Trinity Church Square (almost, but not quite, faithfully)

F

Many thanks for the location, I have just looked on Google Earth and the pictures there reinforce my original observations!

Plus not to far from the "Market Porter" in Borough Market to complete my other requirement

Fantastic peice of moddleing, judgeing from the photos alone the lights look about right to me , trouble is, of course, that a camera will always distort the levels of light, the best thing to do would be to wire them in parallel but be able to vary the voltage supplied to them, just my 2 cents of, more then likely, blindingly obvious.

But it is a really convincing street scene.

• 4 weeks later...

Well done, most impressive. Possibly most impressive of all is what doesn't show in the photos, and that is the detirmination to carry on with the repetition and get them all right. I appreciate that. Having just finished a project with an 8 repeat (and facing another 8 to finish) I found that the first one is 'fraught' with decisions and uncertainties, the second one incorporates all the learning of the first, the third ought to be easier (unless you havn't written down all the decisions and measurements you've garnered from the first two), and it goes downhill from there because there's less 'new' to it all!

I'd be interested to know what the raw resin castings looked like (or have you already RMwebbed that elsewhere?).

In respect of the lights, unless this is an exhibition layout, I'd always vote in favour of dim lights. My criterion is: how do they look after the eyes have had at least five minutes to get used to the dark. IMHO only then can you judge if you're acheiving a realistic pool of light under the lamppost or whatever. I've also found that to adequately photograph that effect, the digital camera is likely to need some 'general' light onto the model.

So good luck with your further property developments.

Cheers,

Tony

I'd be interested to know what the raw resin castings looked like (or have you already RMwebbed that elsewhere?)

I have, but here's a photo of a pile of raw (i.e. not "cleaned-up") castings

post-123-12596799494042_thumb.jpg

In respect of the lights, unless this is an exhibition layout, I'd always vote in favour of dim lights. My criterion is: how do they look after the eyes have had at least five minutes to get used to the dark.

Tony

To the naked eye, the lighting looks quite accceptable under "normal" room lighting. Under "night time conditions" (my layout is in an adapted cellar with only one small window - lights out means very low level illumination) it looks very good and quite atmospheric.

It certainly was a steep learning curve and I am almost (but not quite) tempted to bin it and start again with new castings (as you say it'd be easier to do and the results would be better [at least to my eyes]), but I can't bring myself to throw out 2 years of work....:angry:

• RMweb Gold

I am almost (but not quite) tempted to bin it and start again with new castings (as you say it'd be easier to do and the results would be better [at least t my eyes]), but I can't bring myself to throw out 2 years of work....:angry:

Bin it? Don't you dare.

(But if you do, let me know when the bin men are due so that I can rescue and recycle it :icon_winker:)

Archived