City of Truro - Bachmann - 3717 Livery

S.A.C Martin

There should be a law against painting GWR locos in lined black (quote)

There probably is! Well, they outlaw anything that's fun! And this was huge fun. I wonder why people get so worked up about a coat of paint. Have you seen the new Lynton & Barnstaple 2-6-2T doing its test runs in plain black. All it needs is the lining.....

CHRIS LEIGH

• RMweb Gold

Mine arrived today and rather nice it is too although the orange lining is definitely too 'heavy' and rather let's the side down on what is otherwise an excellent representation of 'this year's livery' on the prototype.

And that livery sets off a couple of questions as I found on a Glos & Warks Railway website (who repainted the protype) the comment that it is painted in the livery it now carries because it is the correct one for the loco's mechanical condition. That seems fair enough - top feed was applied to the class from 1911 onwards so the 1906 'black frames' livery is appropriate (assuming 3717 received a top feed pre-war). But then an apparent anachronism and something which needs explanation the loco, real and model, carries a blue route availability 'disc' on the cabside but according to the RCTS history such disc were not applied until 1919 - although I suppose it is conceivable that the pre-war livery might have survived the conflict.

But that does not explain why the loco has a blue disc when the 'Cities' were red restriction? Were the 'Cities' reclassified to blue for some reason (although a good ton over the maximum axleload for blue) or has 'someone' got it wrong at some time and an error has been carried on through? Although it should be noted that the spoof black livery correctly carried a red disc. Anyway what we do seem to have in this version of 3717 is an accurate model of an inaccuracy on the real loco - always something to watch out for when taking details from preserved prototypes.

N.B. In the pics below the effect of light on the green shows up very clearly and at some angles misrepresents what looks like a fairly good reproduction of the prototype colour. The loco in the prototype photo is 3715 'County of Hereford'

post-6859-128234247096_thumb.jpg

post-6859-128234249325_thumb.jpg

post-6859-128234251258_thumb.jpg

post-6859-128234253324_thumb.jpg

Mine came today too, but I've only had a chance to take her out of the box to briefly admire her! It's a lot easier to see the detail in The Stationmasters photos than looking at the actual model! All being well, she's going for a running-in turn on Monday.

I agree, the boiler and firebox bands do appear far too bright and heavy, especially when compared with the lining on the cab side and tender, (and also compared with Hornby's boiler bands). At least it's not like Bachmann's Hall, on which all the lining is very bright and heavy.

When talking about the green earlier, I ommited to mention the 'City' 4-4-0 should carry a darker green than the accepted 1928 version, however, seeing as the model is a model of a preserved loco it is therefore correct.

It is often said that colour and lining don't scale down too well, and look better if more vivid. So a slightly lighter green wouldn't look out of place at all.

Anyway I thought i'd share these, since i'm not allowed to have another model of it:

post-6819-128245695537_thumb.jpg

post-6819-128245707227_thumb.jpg

post-6819-128245714448_thumb.jpg

Not sure if this has been mentioned or not, but the springs on the tender are the strengthened type fitted from the 1925 onwards. They first seem to have been fitted to 3500 gallon tenders and then extending to use on 3000 and 2500 gallon tenders. Certainly wrong for the pre war livery, though there is a photo of "Killarney" at Shrewsbury with a tender in this condition albeit in unlined green

Regards,

Craig W

It is often said that colour and lining don't scale down too well, and look better if more vivid. So a slightly lighter green wouldn't look out of place at all.

Speaking as one of this country's top professional model painters for the past 38 years, I have tended to disregard what the text-books and theorists have to say on the matter and have always sprayed locos in the correct colours. Once one starts off down the road of modifying primary colours, the truth gets left behind.

Lining is a different matter. It is virtually impossible to reproduce fine lining exactly to scale in 4mm, and so white lines look garish and red lines appear invisible. Sympathetic compromise is the solution in this instance. White for lining out is toned down with cream and black. Orange lining (as on GWR locos) is best carried out in a tan colour. It needs to be there but should be almost invisible from a distance. Red is transparent and needs an additive such as artists oil paint. Red lining also needs to be very slightly 'overscale' for it to register as part of a livery. These were the results of experimentation carried out many years ago by another Pro painter Alan Brackenborough and myself in an attempt to create effective liveries. The lining colours mentioned work equally well in 7mm scale. But tampering with the primary loco colour is unnecessary.

Larry Goddard

Spray Painting & finishing

• RMweb Gold

I rather like the look of this version.

But already have the earlier one from NRM.

Mmmm sell the first or have two versions of the same loco? unsure.gif

C'mon Garry - bite the bullet and stop prevaricating :D Doesn't matter if you have two as they carry different numbers so it would only look a bit odd if you saw both at the same time and compared the nameplates :lol:

And it would go nicely with some of your diesels as it is in precisely contemporary 2010 'heritage railway' livery and not in 'correct for period' historical livery as far as details are concerned.

BTW it does look better with red headlamps as in 298's pics but this introduces a further potential anachronism as we now have a loco in fully lined 1906 livery, carrying a post 1919 route availability disc (of the worng colour) and headlamps painted post 1915 red. I wonder how long the pre-war lining lasted on the real 3717?

It's such a shame I don't get paid until friday this coming week - I'm at the NRM mid week to meet up with some friends for a day trip, and I think 3717 will be there at the NRM in both full and 00 scale... :(

On the plus side - doesn't she look smashing? I hope they keep that livery on her a tad longer, I like it better than the previous livery with the double lining, if I'm honest.

• RMweb Gold

C'mon Garry - bite the bullet and stop prevaricating :D Doesn't matter if you have two as they carry different numbers so it would only look a bit odd if you saw both at the same time and compared the nameplates :lol:

And it would go nicely with some of your diesels as it is in precisely contemporary 2010 'heritage railway' livery and not in 'correct for period' historical livery as far as details are concerned.

BTW it does look better with red headlamps as in 298's pics but this introduces a further potential anachronism as we now have a loco in fully lined 1906 livery, carrying a post 1919 route availability disc (of the worng colour) and headlamps painted post 1915 red. I wonder how long the pre-war lining lasted on the real 3717?

Lol.

Ah but you see my diesel fleet is 70's, 80's and early 90's.

So maybe decision made then if this is a recent livery for Truro.

Unless this livery goes back to then. If not that's £150 saved.:-)

Archived