Much Wittering in N gauge.

DDolfelin

Thanks, Kris.

Obviously still a work in progress.

The difficult part of the exercise was making a graduated circular wall with a road on top.

I think I've cracked it now and, with some buttresses and capping it should look OK.

Another Canal Basin update.

post-7041-098931600 1288976635_thumb.jpg

I often forget, but if anyone is interested in following this adventure, just put your e-mail address on my website ⬇ and you get sent details occasionally.

As far as I know there aren't any issues with spam and the like.

• 3 weeks later...

More progress.

The circular, wall-top, road has been laid with Wet & Dry,

the Canal Basin sides have been fitted with bollard things to tie up the narrow boats (and a lifebelt),

a ground frame hut has been made for one turnout,

a better church has been scratchbuilt,

the single signal post has been installed and a number of mundane improvements have been accomplished.

Plotting to provide road markings now.

Although I can paint small and accurately, I think the best way might be to paint them roughly in light grey before I paint the tarmac colour.

That way I can cut in precisely and cover the light grey with sharp lines.

The alternative might be to paint the tarmac first and then apply matt transfers for the markings.

Unless someone knows better!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Peter,

I've just spent a most enjoyable hour reading this thread from start to finish and, as one N Gauger to another, I would like to express my total admiration for what you have achieved to date. I think we both have similar views of the Kestrel kits but I love some of the modifications you have done to them, particularly the church. :P

I know exactly what you mean about painting 'the little people' having just finished 2 sets of 120 Noch figures myself. I think one of them is the same as yours with the deer and horses. I'm using artists acrylics though which I find to give better coverage than Humbrol.

Now that I've found your thread I will be watching your further progress with great interest as I'm sure you will keep up the good work.

Is it just your hand that's from China?

No Peter. My wife is also from China.:lol:

If you ever get to Hong Kong there's a bar in Wanchai called 'The Old Chinahand' where a lot of the expats hang out. I've spent many a happy hour (or three) in there myself and can thoroughly recommend the Full English Breakfast they start serving at 5:30 am. Just the thing after a hard night enjoying yourself.

I recognise the term 'Chinahand' from books I read as a kid, Trevor.

Mostly about sea-faring chaps familiar with remote exotic places.

The nearest I've got to China was a stopover in HK and I was close to exhausted at the time.

Didn't have the time or the energy to look for a full English. sad.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, Don. Very pleased to have you back!

Here's another little addition, a scratch built caravan.

It's the same size as my thumbnail.

Wasn't too happy with it at first but it's grown on me now because other folk like it.

post-7041-0-46776300-1293174675_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Here is the Market in a more complete form:

post-7041-0-53167800-1295734132_thumb.jpg

... and an odd shaped bus from Berlin bashed to look more like an excursion bus for Much Wittering Most Extraordinary Silver Band

post-7041-0-72425300-1295734310_thumb.jpg

post-7041-0-84326400-1295734423_thumb.jpg

Now gone to the paint shop for appropriate excursion colours.

Advice please from other N gaugers:

I need some (plastic not metal):

Dustbins, Non-working street lamps (1940s - 1960s), Telegraph poles, telephone boxes, Belisha beacons, traffic lights etc.,.

The few I've seen on offer are, frankly, not to my liking.

I suppose I could make them all myself but life is too short and I have other things to do.

Does anyone know of recommended suppliers for these items?

Maybe we could do a photographic comparison test?

Thanks for any advice.

Archived