Much Wittering in N gauge.

DDolfelin

I have never made a tree in this scale.

Usually, in 00, I would use real twigs to make the trunk and branches.

In this attempt, I am using a soft wire core to help support a Milliput coating.

The plastic coated multi strand wire is assembled in three sets of three and twisted together and assembled by twisting, cutting cleanly to form a level base.

I've stripped the ends and twisted again in the hope I can eventually form them into something realistic.

The Milliput is roughly rolled into a very small carpet snake and flattened and then crudely wrapped around trunk and main branches.

I want a rugged old tree so I'm not being too precise at this stage.

A flattened blob of Milliput on plasticard provides a base which I can eventually stick down firmly.

The Milliput (as you will know) is easily shaped with the help of water, or, when dry, with the Dremel or scalpel.

So, this is not a "How To" - more a case of "How Can I?".

post-7041-128254844019.jpg

Here is the result of the first 'dipping'.

Looks promising.

post-7041-128254847851.jpg

... and, presently in the hands of the Patent Office, is my revolutionary system for 'dipping' N trees.

Fortunately we had some titled folk to a formal dinner recently so I had saved the Pot Noodle container for the tree to drip into.

The PVA is old stock which is past its best and will be discarded once I've built the forest/dries up.

post-7041-128254851133.jpg

First 'dip' into foliage.

Very pleased.

post-7041-128254853691.jpg

The system seems to be working and the foliage is bulking up nicely and is firmly attached - although it is still possible to abrade grains of the clumping.

More 'bulking' to do and then the more pleasurable bits like shaping the tree, giving it the hair lacquer treatment and painting.

post-7041-128254857881.jpg

... and this is more or less it.

Just have to find some N size acorns.

post-7041-128254862413.jpg

When I saw the first picture of the tree frame and dunked in white glue, I thought it looked awful. However, as I saw the step by step progress arriving at the finished article, I have to say I am impressed.

• RMweb Premium

Hi DD

You're kinda good at this!

Keep up the good work, and keep us posted - I picked up quite a lot of tips there which will help me when layout time finally comes.

Everyone is being very nice to me - thanks.

The paint is Humbrol Acrylic.

A bit expensive because one only gets a teaspoonful for about £1.30ish.

I have about thirty little pots now to provide a decent range but they need replacing at regular intervals.

The matt versions are my preference.

I like it because of the density of the pigment, although it can be well-watered for weathering purposes.

Everyone is being very nice to me - thanks.

The paint is Humbrol Acrylic.

A bit expensive because one only gets a teaspoonful for about £1.30ish.

I have about thirty little pots now to provide a decent range but they need replacing at regular intervals.

The matt versions are my preference.

I like it because of the density of the pigment, although it can be well-watered for weathering purposes.

Thanks for the information I now know what to look for when I make a start

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

When I saw the first picture of the tree frame and dunked in white glue, I thought it looked awful. However, as I saw the step by step progress arriving at the finished article, I have to say I am impressed.

I was scrolling down this thread and when I got to the tree pictures I thought that I'd add a comment. Then I scrolled down a tiny bit more and found that Bob had already written almost exactly what I was going to say!

The transformation from the original former to the end product is really quite remarkable: the painting, in particular, is beautifully done and makes a tremendous difference. Good work.

Jim

Good of you to say so, Jim.

Progress on Much Wittering has slowed during a ten day trip South, including Cornwall.

I've also started to produce individual items (sheds and things) as not everyone has the space/money/need for full scale dioramas.

Some are on my website but I also have a cautionary tale:

Overnight I made the elements of two barrel topped sheds for a friend.

In the morning, horror!

The sheeting I had used for corrugations on the roof had reacted to the poly and bubbled.

I've ordered new stocks from a different manufacturer and tried to rescue the originals but I'm not happy with it and will start again.

Cheesed off about it.

post-7041-009504600 1284963424_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived