Devon Photo updates/Dawlish Donkeys

This year should see the elimination of the much loved (?) Dawlish Donkeys using Class 142/143 units. These will be replaced with 150's from the start of the December timetable.

I've updated my fotopic site and make no apologies for adding quite a few images of them. Also is the class 67 cardiff-paigntons and a few other sightings including the King Edward I on the Torbay Express

fotopic update

Here are a couple of tasters

post-8268-128255721782.jpg

post-8268-128255724386.jpg

Some very nice stuff!

Brings back happy childhood memories, spend several holidays in the caravan park at Dawlish Warren. Me and dad made sure mum requested a van near the railway line when she booked!

Remember diving out of the bath to see 50149 for the first time!! :D

• RMweb Premium

Nice stuff :)

I believe we're keeping the 143s, the 142s will return North though when we can get hold of enough 150s.

Yes indeed, nice stuff

What has the North done wrong to warrant sending the 142s

They were yours to start with, we just borrowed them. :D

(PS, they are going back in working order though, so better nick than when we got em!)

the south west had its own skippers from new, that they soon sent northwards. think sending the 142's south in a knackered condition was payback for the pile of dross that the skippers were when they arrived in the north

• RMweb Gold

the south west had its own skippers from new, that they soon sent northwards. think sending the 142's south in a knackered condition was payback for the pile of dross that the skippers were when they arrived in the north

The 'Skippers' which went north had in some cases hardly turned a wheel in traffic as we banned them on safety grounds almost as soon as we got them. And once Derby Research had found the things spent more time with their wheels in the air than on the rails on the Exmouth branch that was it and they were on their way, thank goodness.

The 'Skippers' which went north had in some cases hardly turned a wheel in traffic as we banned them on safety grounds almost as soon as we got them. And once Derby Research had found the things spent more time with their wheels in the air than on the rails on the Exmouth branch that was it and they were on their way, thank goodness.

But you ended back up with them. Obviously it was the state in which the pway was maintained on the route rather than the skippers fault that meant they were airborne for much of the journey .

I understand that it was excessive wear to the flanges and the terrible relentless squealing that got them booted out of cornwall. Suppose the good news is that you're keeping the 143's, well at least for the time being.

But you ended back up with them. Obviously it was the state in which the pway was maintained on the route rather than the skippers fault that meant they were airborne for much of the journey .

I understand that it was excessive wear to the flanges and the terrible relentless squealing that got them booted out of cornwall. Suppose the good news is that you're keeping the 143's, well at least for the time being.

The issue in Cornwall was curvature + grades, with the units physically not being able to cope with some particular combinations. "Not fit for purpose" effectively.

That's not such a problem on the "Devon Metro" branches - they have also had a lot of PW work in recent years so even on the bits that are still jointed are not too bad (although i've not been brave enough to sample Barnstaple since they came down!) :D

• RMweb Gold

I'm afraid you've been given a misleading story then. The reason the 'Skippers' were barred so quickly was because of their inability to safely and consistently operate track circuits. Within a couple of days of them entering full service the number of reported wrong-side track circuit failures was reaching worryingly serious levels - hence their withdrawal.

When Derby Research investigated they carried out tests on the Exmouth branch they found that because of the vehicle's suspension design they were forever compensating for track irregularities that didn't exist. This problem was especially marked on cwr and on track with a good 'top' and at that time no easy solution could be identified. So the Western refused to operate the trains in passenger service, and they were sent elsewhere.

I'm afraid you've been given a misleading story then. The reason the 'Skippers' were barred so quickly was because of their inability to safely and consistently operate track circuits. Within a couple of days of them entering full service the number of reported wrong-side track circuit failures was reaching worryingly serious levels - hence their withdrawal.

When Derby Research investigated they carried out tests on the Exmouth branch they found that because of the vehicle's suspension design they were forever compensating for track irregularities that didn't exist. This problem was especially marked on cwr and on track with a good 'top' and at that time no easy solution could be identified. So the Western refused to operate the trains in passenger service, and they were sent elsewhere.

Not because they had the Wheels off the track then?

What has been done to make them stay on the tracks in Devon? taken them pixie's out of the ballast thenbiggrin.gif

• RMweb Gold

Excellent fots of the King and the 142's.wink.gif

Be a shame to see the 142's leave Devon. They have certainly added a bit of interest on the branchlines.

Thanks for that. It was a shame it was King Edward (again) its been the same blasted kettle for the last four years, was hoping for something else for a change.

If wish you can view the last 3 years kettle trips on my old Fotopic site where you will find it in the Devon 2009/2008 listings and the collection for 2007

When the "Slipper" units first came down here, we regularly went up the Gunnislake branch for a few pints on a Saturday night. The modus operandi was train to Gunny then walk back to Calstock stopping at a few venues on the way. We never missed the last train home as the noise they made could be heard in every pub in the village, although we appreciated this the locals did complain somewhat!

Perhaps the mods done to make them stay on the track nowadays can be likened to Magnadehsion.

Wally

• RMweb Gold

What has been done to make them stay on the tracks in Devon? taken them pixie's out of the ballast thenbiggrin.gif

Perhaps if you cared to read what I had written you would realise that nothing has necessarily been been done 'to make then stay on the track', derailment was never a problem with them as as I'm aware. What has been done is that they have been fitted with a 'track circuit actuator' to make up for the poor wheel/rail contact and to achieve more reliable operation of track circuits.

Hence the reason why they were banned by the Western Region has been sorted and presumably they now are much safer when it comes to operating track circuits (or people are less inclined to regard failure to operate track circuits consistently as a serious hazard - which I don't think is likely to be the case).

I did care to read your previous post and this is what you wrote.

And once Derby Research had found the things spent more time with their wheels in the air than on the rails on the Exmouth branch that was it and they were on their way, thank goodness.

This would suggest that the things were floating and had their wheels off the rails.

The trains weren't exactly a great success in Cornwall. The AHB's ( automatic half barrier) crossing were a mixture of Track-circuit & Treadle type, so non-reliable trains had to have an attendant at the crossing in case they didnt activate the sequence.

The squealing was an issue though, especially at Gunni & Liskeard. The were interesting years - getting the loco hauled and various DMU lash- ups until the equally vile 155's arrived.

We sometimes get a guest 143 or 142 into the County though, especially on a Sunday with Exeter crews working through. They're sent straight back though!

• RMweb Gold

I did care to read your previous post and this is what you wrote.

And once Derby Research had found the things spent more time with their wheels in the air than on the rails on the Exmouth branch that was it and they were on their way, thank goodness.

This would suggest that the things were floating and had their wheels off the rails.

Er yes, hence they didn't operate the track circuits. But they were 'derailing' in the normal sense of that term, they were just not in contact the railhead all the time and there was no risk of derailment due to the lifting - according to Derby Research that is. Unless the suspension has been retuned I can't see that the situation will have changed on, say, cwr with a good 'top' although spring degradation might well have made a difference I suppose.

• RMweb Gold

But they were not 'derailing' in the normal sense of that term, they were just not in contact the railhead all the time and there was no risk of derailment due to the lifting

Mike - I am assuming that you meant to insert the word 'not' above, where I have presumed to put it?! ;)

• RMweb Gold

In terms of the exchange of posts between yourself (Mr Oatcake) and The Stationmaster, and speaking as a current railwayman, I can't think of anyone on this forum better qualified than him to comment on the actions taken back then with regard to the W.R. 'Skippers', (and indeed on any other operational issue facing the Western Region at that time and since).

It's fair to say that the effect of these vehicles on the sharper-curved branch lines was/is also an issue, and whilst Craig occasionally gets them on the main line in Cornwall, you will not find them on branch lines west of Plymouth.

On CWR especially, they're actually not that bad a ride, now, and if anything, the greater problem in Devon since they came back has been capacity and seating and the general environment for passengers. What is also true is that the FGW depot at Exeter has put in an enormous amount of work into the fleet to make them more mechanically reliable, and the FGW 'miles per casualty' for the 142/143 fleet operating in Devon has improved significantly, and was recently 'mentioned in despatches' in a professional joint industry meeting.

I believe when the 142's first appeared on the branches they were doing extremely low mileage betweeen tyre turnings ( only a few thousand)

For anyone who is worried 14x's still don't trip tca circuits - they now have a large ring fitted underneath which induces a current in the axles, reducing the resistance between both rails so they rarely fail anymore!

The Capn's been around long enough to see the full evolution of the Devon class 142's. I agree the Exeter boys worked marvels with sets. The one "moth-balled" set or Christmas Tree was even restored to service (001 I think).

Track quality has certainly helped the ride on board, and I remember ex steam Drivers looking on aghast as they were being trained on the Chocolate & Cream ones at Truro in 1985. Does anyone remember Penzance Driver Stan Harris & St Blazey Guard Vic Millington receiving Customer Service awards on TSW news (or was it Westcountry or Westward back then) at Truro arriving on one in 1986?

I have some photos on my website of them in service on the mainline & branches in chocolate & cream, and some in the snow at Par in 1985.

142016 in the yard at Truro behind Rusty's office

post-2613-128298481893_thumb.jpg

142025 squeals past St Dennis Jn in 1985, just after the box had been taken down.

post-2613-128298483175_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Evening,

Craig's fots of the Chocolate and Cream Class 142's on the Newquay Branch look good. Be nice if Hornby re-did this livery as well.

St. Dennis Junction looks forlorn and nothing remains of it now-all returned to nature. Once there stood a signal box above the 142 and the branch made its way to Burngullow or the Retew Branch. The line runs up to Parkandillack from Burngullow now. Reading the Newquay Branch (Vaughan, 1991) it's quite interesting to hear about the then proposed re-opening of the branch back to Burngullow so as to avoid the low bridge on Goss Moor. He talks about HST's using this line in the future but the A30 road improvements put paid to all these proposals.

Using this idea, one of my furture projects is to build a layout based around Trevisco dryers, but with the branch still open to St. Dennis Junction, thus enabling the running of units too.

Note the spoil wagons in the last of Craig's shots in the sidings. There was also once a spoil tip here and one of the most unusual things to happen here in 1991 was the removal of the lining applied to the hoppers on the newish CDA wagons because of contamination to the clay.

Mark

• RMweb Gold
142016 in the yard at Truro behind Rusty's office

Even that office (where the great man himself once interviewed me on his own, for a job he'd already given to someone else! ;) :rolleyes: ) is now just a slab of concrete.

What Craig's photo also shows, is the additional sidings that were still in situ and being used at the time. I wish they were still there today!

142025 squeals past St Dennis Jn in 1985, just after the box had been taken down

Even the remaining bullhead track here is due to be relaid this autumn!

Archived