Model Rail 148

dibber25

We might have different reasons but I'm with Chris Leigh on the question of perfect binding: NO!

Reason (not the same as logic in this case) is that I usually read mags in bed. (boy at the back: out!).

Stable bound is much more workable in this envirnoment.

Good night,

Glover.

• RMweb Gold

I know this isnt the place for a discussion on it, but I have to say that if the penalty for having a magazine thats as full as Model Rail is to have it perfect bound rather than saddle stiched, then so be it.

I dont have a problem with perfect bound magazines - Hornby (my other regular purchase) and Railway Modeller (occiasional purchase) are both perfect bound.

• RMweb Premium

Chris:

On the question of production time, I just looked at my bound copy (reprint) of Volume 1 of The Model Railroader (1934). I note in there that questions raised one month were often answered the next. But a layout design query in March wasn't answered until June (with diagram).

Since I just bought the Sepember issue today, I don't expect to see the next one for a month. But I did see 3 different months of it available in 2 stores of our big chain.

• RMweb Gold
We might have different reasons but I'm with Chris Leigh on the question of perfect binding: NO!

Reason (not the same as logic in this case) is that I usually read mags in bed. (boy at the back: out!).

Stable bound is much more workable in this envirnoment.

I've never liked perfect binding for a completely different reason.

Pictures and plans sometimes go across the page join (I'm probably using the wrong word here, but I don't know the correct one!).

Although the people putting magazines together would probably aim to restrict this to the centre pages, if at all, with staple bound, using any 2-page plans in perfect bound would mean breaking the binding.

There would also be similar problems with plans that take up all of one page.

Some people might wonder if this is one reason why recent issues of a number of magazines seem to have less plans than their forebears. I don't think this is the reason.

• RMweb Premium

I agree, another good issue, The only complaint I have is that in my sub copy the middle pages - the article on building a JLTRT Class 20 - do not seem to be stapled into the mag and fell out onto the workbench.

Yep centre page has departed on mine after opening magazine twice. NOT impressed :angry:

Hi

Ah its not just me then. Mine has as well. :(

Cheers

Paul

Great mag, great articles just wish the paper was better, i bet its been said a thousand times.

Has anyone asked if there is a possibility of .pdf versions?

Regards

Pete

I'd like to request them all be available for subscription online.

1. We in the 'States (and presumably anywhere else out of Europe) get them instore up to 3 months after publication date - now that's not a big issue (sic) but it can make some time related info inside redundant.

2. If you subscribe from the 'States not only do you pay through the nose for the privilege but you never get any special offers or free issues offered to the British readership.

If online then I could read at exactly the same time as the locals (some events I may fly over for, obviously not when by the time I read it is past date).

Sorry, don't mean to put you on the spot Chris - all this applies to the other magazines too.

Best, Pete.

Not a bad issue (although I got three copies of the eHattons flyer, one is more than enough...)

Interesting piece about the real life lineside engine shed/complex

I can't wait for the next one however, an idiots guild to starting weathering is something I've been waiting for :)

Guest Max Stafford

I notice the review of Clan MacGregor states that the loco has an incorrect shedplate. In fact Kingmoor was 12A from 1958 and is the correct code for the model as portrayed.

Good feature on engine sheds that answered a couple of my own questions.

Dave.

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Chris:

I just picked up a copy in New York.

The price seems to be less than I pay in Canada, but not enough to make it worth a special trip.

However, the Superquick coaling tower article is much too short; there are no diagrams or intimate pictures of the mechanism that he added.

Archived