Model Rail 148

dibber25

PUBLICATION DATE: SEPTEMBER 9th

(no non-availability complaints till at least the 10th, please)

Locomotive sheds themed issue with a preview of our first Model Rail Live event at Barrow Hill Roundhouse on September 25/26.

Reviews -

Bachmann Class 105 Cravens DMU, Heljan Class 26/0, Dapol 'N' Britannia, Geoscenics wagon loads

St. Marnock Shed 'O' layout

Masterclass: Turntables - George compares them and shows how to fit and power them

Superquick coaling tower

Model Rail Live preview - including the first public appearance of Dave Lowery's Bevet for 20 years.

LMR shed operating practice.

How to prepare and paint a loco (Jones Goods)

Improving a Scenecraft shed

Netherhall & Fletching (Sr layout)

Just Like the Real Thing Class 20

Roundleigh layout

Supertest: Water products

Masterplan: Fengate TMD

Plus all the regulars.

Netherhall & Fletching (Sr layout)

Yay, can't wait to see which of Chris Nevard's pics have been used and how much editing has been done to our write-up

biggrin.gif laugh.gif cool.gif

It's their event - I think we can allow a bit of plugging.

Up to a point. This month's plug was useful in helping me to decide to go to the N gauge show (also sponsored and plugged) instead. But I hope next month's plug contains something new rather than just a repeat.

Model Rail Live is a new event. We need to maximise the number of visitors. Yes, there will be some people who know all about it. There will also be some who don't, who are first time Model Rail readers, etc. Developments are happening all the time and the preview is a chance to keep readers up to date, at least up to last wednesday, with the latest developments. Not everyone has access to the website - we still have many readers who don't 'do' computers.

CHRIS LEIGH

• RMweb Gold

... or the 17th in some places, if similar posts about recent issues are anything to go by?

Joking aside (or not, as the case may be), the locomotive "prep and paint" article could be interesting. Unlike in some countries, "British" RTR manufacturers don't tend to offer unpainted versions of their locos and rolling stock - which can be rather frustrating for anyone trying their hand at "bashing".

The "Superquick" build could also be interesting - especially if it says what glue was used in the test build (and how the stuff was made to work properly). To be honest, I've never had much luck with card modelling - I've always found polystyrene and brass so much nicer to work with (even if there are health and safety traps for the unwary)! This is a shame, as I gather that card can be very useful when building "mock-ups".

Changing the subject, how long before the "release date" do magazines have to be "put to bed" - is there a standard figure - or does it vary? I'm just curious how much computerized typesetting and page layout etc have changed things, compared with "how they used to be" in the days of "hot metal".

Changing the subject, how long before the "release date" do magazines have to be "put to bed" - is there a standard figure - or does it vary? I'm just curious how much computerized typesetting and page layout etc have changed things, compared with "how they used to be" in the days of "hot metal". (quote)

That information would, I feel, be commercially sensitive, since it probably varies from one magazine to another depending on various factors. In my experience it hasn't changed that much from hot metal days. Computerisation has certainly speeded things up on the production side but the distribution is where the time is taken.

CHRIS LEIGH

• RMweb Gold
... probably varies from one magazine to another depending on various factors. In my experience it hasn't changed that much from hot metal days.

Thanks - that's all I wanted to know - my wording could have been better, but I certainly wouldn't want you to give out any commercially sensitive info.

Regards,

Huw.

Thanks - that's all I wanted to know - my wording could have been better, but I certainly wouldn't want you to give out any commercially sensitive info.

Judging from my experience with the magazine for the charity I work for, the last thing that usually gets done is the "news" page so the latest up-to-date stuff can be featured - I would assume the same for modelling magazines just in case there are any surprise releases that they can squeeze a picture or review in and hopefully have passed their competitor's deadlines to get 'first dibs' on mentioning the item.

Much of the content of magazines - layout features, "how to" guides etc aren't particularly time sensitive so they'll be done anyway and if they get popped over to the next issue no problem, but it'd be pointless reviewing the latest Bachlimby release 3 months after everyone else has.

I agree, another good issue, The only complaint I have is that in my sub copy the middle pages - the article on building a JLTRT Class 20 - do not seem to be stapled into the mag and fell out onto the workbench. Now is somebody trying to tell me that I should buy one of these kits rather than take the easy option of getting a Heljan one. :lol: :lol:

Regards,

Steve.

• RMweb Gold

Re subscribed to this mag last month starting with this issue.

I see subscriber copies started to land 4 days ago.

Publication date was yesterday.

And still no subscriber copy has arrived with myself.

Mmmm good start, always used to get it a couple of days ahead of publication date.

A phone call me thinks.

I agree, another good issue, The only complaint I have is that in my sub copy the middle pages - the article on building a JLTRT Class 20 - do not seem to be stapled into the mag and fell out onto the workbench.

Yep centre page has departed on mine after opening magazine twice. NOT impressed :angry:

Same here too, not that I'm bothered. I thought a good edition this month. I particularly enjoyed the step by step guide to disposing of a loco (on shed). I certainly had only a vague idea of working on sheds and I'm sure a lot of younger folk won't know about the workings of a steam mpd, so I found this very useful. I now have a shed on the road into the mpd as the signing on/off point

Don't normally buy MR but it had an EMU on the front....

The Southern Electric layout was quite nice, but it's a shame there wasn't more detail about the EMUs beyond a list of the kit manufacturers. Perhaps a follow up article just about the EMUs wouldn't go amiss?

Oh and (being pedantic) the unit in photo 4 is a 2-Bil with an all steel driving trailer rather than a post war Hal. I've not seen one of these modelled before.

Oh and I enjoyed the ranting letter about the lack of GWR models, and the last paragraph of the editorial response. wink.gif

cb900f,

no need to apologise, that's the sort of detail we should have picked up before the photoshoot :P :lol: :P .

pete_mcfarlane,

all the EMUs are owned by Ayran Snowsill (mentioned in the article) and he has built / bashed most of them, and he is part owner of ayjay models as well as the resident EMU anorak/fanatic :lol: . If you would like any details on the EMUs please feel free to drop an email to secretary@uckfieldmrc.co.uk and he will forward it on to Aryan.

Kev

Sorry about the stapling/loose pages problem. We're up against the limits of the technonology here - the wires cut into the paper when you get to high numbers of pages. Increase the paper thickness and it gets worse. A large number of pages plus a thicker paper = equals perfect binding. I've a PERSONAL dislike of perfect binding and resisted it in my time as Editor. Ben and the rest of the team may take a different view and if the problem of loose pages becomes widespread we may have no alternative.

CHRIS LEIGH

Archived