L&B Replica "Lyd"

Oldddudders

I asked the same question on another forum and it seems it was only intended to help fundraising and had been knocked about a bit during the build so rather than start running with a tatty paint job they went into FR works black. Some pics show damage to the paint around the smokebox and fixing points.

Ahhh Thats fine then.

I'd hate to think some poor bugg*r had spent weeks tirelessly working at a beautiful job.

Excellent work and a credit to all concerned.

• RMweb Premium

.... I did wonder, however, under what auspices the F.R. managed to run something ahead of the train hauled by 'Lyd', to get that amazing footage? I thought 'two in the section' running at speed with not much separation wasn't allowed anywhere?....

Yes I wondered about that too, I wonder if there are any FR experts who could cast light on how it was achieved?

• RMweb Gold

I'm by no means an expert, but you should really bookmark this site (not just this page) http://www.roger-dimmick.fotopic.net/c1884288.html :)

Quite right - this man can handle a camera! He does have a slight advantage over some of us - I think he does marketing or similarly serious work for the WHR, so knowing what's doing what and where it will be at any time is a mite easier for him!

• RMweb Gold

Utterly wonderful bit of craftsmanship there, and a pure joy to see the footage of it working.

I did wonder, however, under what auspices the F.R. managed to run something ahead of the train hauled by 'Lyd', to get that amazing footage? I thought 'two in the section' running at speed with not much seperation wasn't allowed anywhere?....

I wonder if the separation has been reduced by a telphoto type lens? Anyway as far as 'two in the section' are concerned the procedure nowadays is quite simple - you risk assess and then prepare, issue, and apply a suitable safe method of doing the job having preferably got it ok'd by 'an independent competent person' if it looks at out of the normal. ROGS allows you to do that and as we're not talking passenger carrying trains (I hope :huh:) all should be relatively straightforward, I think.

Oh and you make sure you keep a full record of it all in case someone from HMRI happens to see it on the internet (which at least one railway failed to do with some of its 'dodgy' goings on according to my grapevine) - not they they had bothered with anything from the RA to the method statement so I heard :blink:

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks for the explanation Mike, as one of the Red for Danger generation two trains in one section feels instinctively dodgy though I do realise that there were occasions when it was permitted.

It usually frightens me stiff Neil but let's face it we used to do all sorts of 'out of the usual' things on BR in years gone by. Nowadays even some of the things we regarded as 'everyday' are deeply frowned upon as 'potentially dangerous' in RSSB/NR circles.

Simple point is that thing have moved on and while I hold some very 'traditional' (usually called 'old fashioned') views on operational and other railway safety procedures there is a need to recognise that there are different ways of safely doing things in different circumstances. But that is no excuse for cowboys, things must be done properly, records kept, and personnel trained etc.

I remember how nervous I felt on some Swiss mountain lines when I realised that they were sending up trains one after the other on a single line with just a quarter of a mile or so between them. Later I found that the Snaefell line does the same thing except that they have a double track that they seem to treat as two parallel single lines!

Still, it never seems to cause any problems!

I wonder if the separation has been reduced by a telphoto type lens? Anyway as far as 'two in the section' are concerned the procedure nowadays is quite simple - you risk assess and then prepare, issue, and apply a suitable safe method of doing the job having preferably got it ok'd by 'an independent competent person' if it looks at out of the normal. ROGS allows you to do that and as we're not talking passenger carrying trains (I hope :huh:) all should be relatively straightforward, I think.

Oh and you make sure you keep a full record of it all in case someone from HMRI happens to see it on the internet (which at least one railway failed to do with some of its 'dodgy' goings on according to my grapevine) - not they they had bothered with anything from the RA to the method statement so I heard :blink:

Mike is spot on here - the operation was risk assessed, a method statement prepared, and as Mike states, neither Moelwyn and Wagon 63 (the camera train), nor Lyd and "A Set" were passenger trains.

This is not the first time the FR has operated multiple trains in section:- during the recent "Quirks and Curiosities" weekend the railway operated a "cavalcade" across the cob, during which I travelled in the rail mounted Landrover - being stuck in a queue on the cob is nothing unusual - though being stuck in a queue on the cob on railway is a rather odd experience!

In addition last November we operated a series of photographic charters on the Welsh Highland - these were operated in an "absolute possession" - suspending the use of staff and ticket working, and using a Person In Charge of Possession (PICOP) and two way radio to communicate precise instructions to locomotive crew.

In short, as long as your not carrying paying passengers, you can do virtually anything so long as it is planned thoroughly and properly assessed.

Bruce

(Who recently qualified as an FR guard)

• 2 weeks later...

Perchance it sleepeth.............no longer.

As the Saturday afternoon shadows lengthen Lyd lifts her train from Killington Lane towards Woody Bay.

DSCF2518.jpg

There was no black edged card on the wreath fitted to Lyds smokebox, a copy of the legendary wreath sent on the last day of operation 75 years ago and placed on the buffer stops at Barnstaple Town Station, it was inscribed " To Barnstaple and Lynton railway with regret and sorrow from a constant user and admirer. Perchance it is not dead but sleepeth."

DSCF2357.jpg

Axe was working trains seen here pulling up the grade into Woody Bay

DSCF2485.jpg

Sid was operating driver experience rides within station limits with Axe standing in the platform and the cab of newly to be constructed replica Baldwin Lyn in front of Sid.

DSCF2466.jpg

But star of the day without a doubt was Lyd seen here drifting into Killington Lane.

DSCF2496.jpg

and lifting her train again into Woody Bay

DSCF2464.jpg

coaches 14 and 102 from the Ffestiniog Railway made up Lyd's train, no 14 was originally L&B coach no 15.

DSCF2465.jpg

Axe between Killington Lane and Woodybay.

DSCF2503.jpg

Woody Bay station poster

DSCF2352.jpg

Sid and Lyd at Woody Bay.

DSCF2344.jpg

Yeo was also operating trains at Woody Bay

DSCF2374.jpg

Sid

DSCF2372.jpg

Lyd heads down the grade away from Woody Bay.

DSCF2367.jpg

Lyd on shed, taking on water.

DSCF2396.jpg

Lyd between Killington Lane and Woodybay and my transport for the day.

DSCF2522.jpg

Cover of L&B Album

DSCF2529.jpg

Axe again between Killington Lane and Woody Bay

DSCF2508.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks for the explanation Mike, as one of the Red for Danger generation two trains in one section feels instinctively dodgy though I do realise that there were occasions when it was permitted.

I agree, Neil, 'two in the section' just goes right against the grain, although thinking back, the cavalcade at Shildon or Rainhill back in the 1970s/1980s must have been done on similar principles.

This feeling of 'unease' is reinforced by 'severe frownings' by HMRI in recent years on permissive working of passenger trains, although I guess the operative word there was 'passenger'...

• RMweb Gold

I agree, Neil, 'two in the section' just goes right against the grain, although thinking back, the cavalcade at Shildon or Rainhill back in the 1970s/1980s must have been done on similar principles.

This feeling of 'unease' is reinforced by 'severe frownings' by HMRI in recent years on permissive working of passenger trains, although I guess the operative word there was 'passenger'...

You'd be frightened stiff by some of the things which used to happen for special events way back in the past (like the 1930s, but possibly even the 1950s in a few instances) where specials conveying passengers were not only worked into sections controlled by 'temporary block posts' (man plus telephone plus set of flags) but were even 'queued' in a block section waiting to detrain the passengers.

I can easily remember when portions were propelled onto passenger trains (front or rear) as part of everyday working and in not a few cases, quite legitimately, over points not fitted with facing point locks. Our perceptions change ;)

You'd be frightened stiff by some of the things which used to happen for special events way back in the past (like the 1930s, but possibly even the 1950s in a few instances) where specials conveying passengers were not only worked into sections controlled by 'temporary block posts' (man plus telephone plus set of flags) but were even 'queued' in a block section waiting to detrain the passengers.

I can easily remember when portions were propelled onto passenger trains (front or rear) as part of everyday working and in not a few cases, quite legitimately, over points not fitted with facing point locks. Our perceptions change ;)

Just a quick note to say that Lyd will next be in operation at the Ffestiniog Railway Vintage Weekend, working this Friday and Sunday. These will be its first passenger workings on the FR.

Cheers

Bruce

Archived