L&B Replica "Lyd"

Oldddudders

This is one replica I really want to see!

Has there been a reference to her final livery anyway? (Though all over black is how I imagine Lew ending up in Brazil, probably with red rods...)

This is one replica I really want to see!

Has there been a reference to her final livery anyway? (Though all over black is how I imagine Lew ending up in Brazil, probably with red rods...)

I believe the plan is to finish it in Southern Livery (per Lew). The rather nice gloss black finish seems to be Boston Lodge's standard approach for steam loco's released for running trials - when I was last in N. Wales back in '07, Earl of Merioneth had just such a finish having been put into traffic in a bit of a hurry.

Lots more photo's here: http://roger-dimmick.fotopic.net/c1879968_25.html

Adam

I believe the plan is to finish it in Southern Livery (per Lew).

I hadn't realised that the loco was like Lew in appearance - almost a shame as it would never look right in L&B livery. But that's minor!

• RMweb Gold

Why do I find this a much more heart-warming reconstruction than Tornado? Perhaps I see steam having a real place on NG & preserved railways, while Tornado is clearly aimed at - and has been very successful on - the main line. Odd, but that's how I feel about it.

• RMweb Gold

A rather splendid video of the test run here, rated at 5 coaches on the WHR and 8 (10 according to some sources though) on the Festiniog. She's a bit more powerful than the originals due to some changes to boiler pressure and cylinder size.

• RMweb Premium

I hadn't realised that the loco was like Lew in appearance - almost a shame as it would never look right in L&B livery. But that's minor!

I feel it's a pity because I imagine the original L&B livery (I've seen it described as holly green) would have been very attractive.

It's a curious thing to me that all the nostalgia about the L&B seems to be directed at the Southern era rather than its independent days, although there can be very few if any active enthusiasts who can remember the line when it was open at all. Perhaps it's because of the large number of excellent and highly atmospheric photos taken in the line's dying days.

Andy

• RMweb Gold

A rather splendid video of the test run here, rated at 5 coaches on the WHR and 8 (10 according to some sources though) on the Festiniog. She's a bit more powerful than the originals due to some changes to boiler pressure and cylinder size.

Thanks Paul - excellent film. The bloke on the pump trolley with the camera on the back must have been a bit puffed when they got to the top!

• RMweb Gold

I feel it's a pity because I imagine the original L&B livery (I've seen it described as holly green) would have been very attractive.

There is another 2-6-2 of the original pattern slowly under construction somewhere which I guess is why the FR backed project chose to base it on Lew?

This mentions all three.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lynton_and_Barnstaple_Railway#Modern_replicas

Plus the L&B are aiming to do the 2-4-2 Lyn which can carry either livery too.

Isn't there another 2-6-2 of the original pattern slowly under construction somewhere which I guess is why the FR backed project chose to base it on Lew?

Plus the L&B are aiming to do the 2-4-2 Lyn which can carry either livery too.

Unsurprisingly, that information can be found on the L&B Rly's (rather good) website:

http://www.lynton-rail.co.uk/railway/projects/yeo

Information concerning Lyn can be found here.

Adam

Dates for your diaries if you would like to see Lyd this year:

11th/12th September - Welsh Highland Railway 'Superpower' weekend. Special for project supporters and then first revenue earning passenger trains.

16th/17th/19th September - in steam at Launceston Steam Railway. Trial runs on the Thursday/Friday but only hauling passenger trains on the Sunday at present.

25th/26th/27th September - Lynton & Barnstaple Railway gala. Ride in an original L&B carriage behind Lyd from Woody Bay station. Prebooking highly recommended for the Saturday & Sunday - see www.lynton-rail.co.uk/lyd/

8th/9th/10th October - Ffestiniog Railway Heritage weekend - Lyd will be making a 'brief' appearance as the most recent example of Boston Lodge workmanship.

She should remain in plain black livery for these events. However she may very briefly appear at Launceston in a slightly different livery...

So far Lyd has been tested up to an empty 9 carriage train on the FR - approximately the equivalent of 8 loaded carriages. The intention is she will be tested with 10 on (and possibly more) in due course. Likewise there will be tests of her haulage capacity on the WHR - first solo trains will be with 4 carrs.

Incidentally one of the supporters who contributed money towards building Lyd rode on the L&B before it closed - I gather he is very much looking forward to riding behind an L&B loco once more!

• RMweb Gold

She should remain in plain black livery for these events. However she may very briefly appear at Launceston in a slightly different livery...

Oh please put a BR cycling Lion on the tanks biggrin.gif that would be fantastic.

Fantastic news.

I am a little curious over the livery though.

Totally understand Boston Lodge's outshopping of all new locos in gloss black but......

Weren't LYD's side tanks fully painted and lined out in SR green when displayed at York a few years ago ?

Seems a terrible waste of someone's beautiful handiwork covering up all that SR lining.

No matter, a beaut and another very big feather in the Boston Lodge cap.

Wonder if the next project is a brand new replica of a erm Alco 2-6-2T which is parked at the back of the shed.

• RMweb Gold

Weren't LYD's side tanks fully painted and lined out in SR green when displayed at York a few years ago ?

Seems a terrible waste of someone's beautiful handiwork covering up all that SR lining.

I asked the same question on another forum and it seems it was only intended to help fundraising and had been knocked about a bit during the build so rather than start running with a tatty paint job they went into FR works black. Some pics show damage to the paint around the smokebox and fixing points.

• RMweb Gold

Utterly wonderful bit of craftsmanship there, and a pure joy to see the footage of it working.

I did wonder, however, under what auspices the F.R. managed to run something ahead of the train hauled by 'Lyd', to get that amazing footage? I thought 'two in the section' running at speed with not much seperation wasn't allowed anywhere?....

Archived