If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×

Is this a LNER tender

• RMweb Premium

Definitely LNER I think.

The underframe, springs and cut outs match the tender on a picture I have of a K1 (62070), although the curve at the top of the side sheet at the cab end is not quite right.

Maybe it's off a B17 or K3 or other Gresley?

Keith

Pretty sure that is a model of the LNER standard 4,200 gallon flush sided type, used behind many examples of several Gresley designs: K3, O2, J39, D49, B17, V2. Wheelbase should scale to 7'3"+6'3", length over underframe 22'6"(you have to subtract a little for the absent bufferbeam and dragbox front), height above rail to top of side sheets 10'10".

Agree this is definately an LNER Group Standard tender; the underframe is right although I thought it may be back to front but it is right. The oblong cut-out should be at the front.

The body is puzzling as it is not a normal Group Standard flush side shape. The cut out at the front of the side sheet is way too long (is that the GWR angle...??) Thought it might be a P1 tender which were distinctively different but it is not; also it is not a V4 which I thought might be different. I am sure I have seen something like it but cann't place it at present.

Sorry cann't be much more help. Need access to Yeadon's Register (the one on tenders) but my copy is buried deep in the cupboard at present. Also don't really recognise parentage of model; intially thought it might have been Crownline but don't think so as the filler is brass. I think you might be right it could be a Jamieson or even Jidenco; don't have much experience of them.

Richard

• 2 weeks later...

Had a chance this morning to check through all my libery. I can confirm that it is a LNER 4200 Gal Group Standard tender and is one of a few variants of style!

Quick skim through photos suggest that this type was fitted to some J39, K3, K4, V2, B1 and D49. Could not find any photos of this style fitted to B17 (they all seem to have had the more common style with the small front cut out or the step sides). Looking through the photos the style of your model sems less common than the other type of flush sided tender.

What have you decided to do with your tender in the end?

Richard

Richard and Coachman, thanks for the replies. I sold it on Ebay as a Jamieson type LNER tender, as I rembered seeing at least 1 Jamieson tenderless loco being sold recently, so atleast 1 person is looking for one.

Before I got too attached to it,I decided to get rid of it(I have too many items that have been put away as 'it might come in handy'). I am a great believer in the theory of listing spares and unwanted items on Ebay as I buy a lot from others, so I put it into practice.

It sold for about what I brought it for, so I lost out on the postage I paid (and I underestimated the cost of sending it), still I have had a very good run lately and was due a misshap.

Archived