"Wales, Rails, Rain & Steel" A micro steelworks layout... in the rain!

marc smith

I will definatly be popping over for a chat and some photos if thats ok marc? laugh.gif

Neil

Great Neil,

You're welcome to pop along & chat - -please let me know who you are -

just so I can put a face to a name (or a username!)

You're welcome to take pics, but it may be difficult, as really a tipod is required

.... don't know if that's Ok with Andy?

... or I could set the layout to daylight mode

Cheers

Marc

• RMweb Gold

Come along & say hello at this Saturdays members day,

Oh I'll be taking a break from Summat sometime to have a good look at your mirrored side panel - planning a similar thing on Fourgig - See you on Saturday ;)

Thanks marc, i will definatly make myself known, ill be helping out on Outon Road and at some point ill be giving ian a hand, ill be ok without a tripod im sure, in fact my new camera arrived today but my tripod hasnt so i cant use it anyway laugh1.gif

im sure ill get some shots in night mode, just as its ment to be.

great layout marc

Neil

Great to see the layout yesterday, well inspired by it and Hendre lane. I like the use of the foamboard as well, I came home thinking I've got to build something!!!

Look forward to seeing your next project.

Steve.

Loved this at the members day Marc. its all about atmosphere and even with the intense heat in the hall I fancied getting my coat on! As an ex steelworks research technologist it brought back a few memories of walking round the less trodden areas of teeside and aldwarke. What would really give this layout some beans is some recorded steelworks sound. All the banging and distant hum of the arc furnaces etc would be fantastic. Those things are undbelievably loud. I visited magna in sheffield about 6 years ago and they have a simulated arc furnace there. I can tell you the simulation is no where near as loud as the real thing!

Great work

Cav

Thanks for all the above kind words folks!

Really enjoyed the day on Saturday

there were some craking layouts & models

but most of all, it was just great to meet some fellow rmwebbers,

and most of all, have a chat - my throat is still a little sore!

• RMweb Gold

Hi Marc, Great to chat on Saturday, the layout looks even better in the flesh although it actually is smaller than it looks on here! Anyway, it was well worth the effort for the 'rain', it kept us feeling just a little cooler in that room blink.gif

Hi Marc

Enjoyed our chat on Saturday. Although I have never commented on this thread before, I have followed it , and it was a pleasure to see the work in the flesh. Brilliant modelling combined with clever lighting, mirrors and sound effects, I came away from the layout feeling damp and cold, even though it was in the mid 20s in the room.

Hope we have the pleasure of seeing it again out in the public domain, any news on exhibitions.

Gary

Thanks again for the kind words

Yes, the cd of thunderstorm sounds made me feel cold too,

so I was wondering what everyone else was talking about, when they said they were warm

Perhaps next year, I'll build a layout set in the snow....

and maybe build it in a fridge :laugh:

....2012 challenge? :rolleyes:

Cheers

Marc

• 4 weeks later...
Guest oldlugger

Hello Marc,

Really lovely work! Loads of atmosphere and photographic interest. In such a small space you managed to avoid making things look cramped or overstated. The low relief buildings are some the best I've seen and the track looks most convincing. 10/10

All the best

Simon

Hi Marc,

I've just come out of the attic having been juggling around my buildings on Dragon Steels (still dont know if that's going to be the actual name yet! Thoughts!?).

I'm puzzling over what to do for one of my scenic breaks. The right hand side of the layout has a road overbridge and the left side part of a rail served loading/unloading shed. Would you by any chance have a pic showing the end of yours where you have your rail connected shed? I'm just wondering how you blended it in as that was one of the things puzzling me and stalling my progress amongst other things.

We should defo arrange that beer soon too?

Cheers

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Marc,

Haven't seen you on here for a while, but I do know that you've been busy with the gigs.

I think I'm all sorted for the scenic break where my rail served loading/unloading point will be now. Over the last couple of weeks I've been fitting in a good few hours here and there in between other stuff. The track is now permanently down and wired, some buildings have been marked out and some groundwork has appeared at the right hand end. As soon as my camera is sorted I'll get some pics taken.

Talking of groundwork, how did you go about creating your basic ground cover? I'm aiming for grimy steelworks conditions like you have done. I realise you have set your layout on a gloomy wet South Wales night but any pointers on this would be very much appreciated. I'm afraid I'm not much of a whizz when it comes to scenery.

Hope the gigs are going well by the way?

Cheers

• 1 year later...

HI folks,
Not posted anything on here in ages!
But looking about at other topics,
I've noted a couple of people mention modelling rainy effects.....

It isn't a difficult effect to create,
but base colours do need to be quite a lot darker;
grey-ish roads need to be almost black,
but you do need some tonal variation in there too

You also need quite a bit more gloss than you think
I gave all surfaces several coats, before they started looking "wet"

I really should get around to finishing that article I started on the layout

However, I had problems in that the photography was tricky...
My camera is a few years old, and tending to produce "noisy" images in low-light....

Anyhow, just a couple of pics I took a long while back

Cheers again

post-2973-0-48745500-1368532286_thumb.jpg

post-2973-0-10906200-1368532314_thumb.jpg

Edited by marc smith
  • Like 10

Hi Marc, I wondered what happened to this after the members day at Stafford,

How about a video,then we could all appreciate the wonderful Welsh weather and get that summer feeling again, (its just started raining here in South Derbyshire), it might go out and record some, hahhaaa

Andy

• RMweb Gold

Glad this has reappeared.
A while back my uncle had been to an exhibition and when I saw him last he described a superb layout that was there, it was a Steelworks and wet. 'Oh yes,' I said, 'Marc Smith's Rain, Rails, Wales and Steel!', 'You know too much' was the reply.

He loves the layout.

Edited by Worsdell forever
  • Like 2

Hi again, and thanks once again for the kind comments.....
I originally planned the layout as being just 2 foot six, on the visible section
as I had only wanted to run 08 shunters

However, I really do like 37's - although in truth

37's only ever seemingly "arrive" in 1 road of the layout
They are a tad to big to do any shunting on such a small layout of that particular design
It's just 3 foot 1 in length.....

There are times when I wish I had made it a bit larger,
but others when I'm quite happy with it as it is.....

WRR& S has done a few shows - Swindon, Cardiff, Lord & Butler, Stormex and Minehead spring to mind
.... honestly, I forget which shows I did, and with which layout :O

Anyhow, I really really MUST finish that article
I now have a 2nd, more current digital camera, and hopefully
this will produce less "noisy" pics
I'm busy over the next month with shows and the like,
and finishing Cashmores - so it'll be a while yet....

Anyhow, here's a rather dark, gloomy shot of an 08, shunting the loading shed....

Marc

post-2973-0-88676800-1368606097_thumb.jpg

• Like 11