Modelzone Red Bank Parcels

WhiteRoseRambler

My Dad got a call on Friday to say Metro Centre had them in, he will be picking them up today. I don't think the price is too bad as it works out at just over £25 a coach which is about RRP for a standard release, hopefully post some pics for others to see tonight.

What was so famous or interesting about the RedBank Parcels?

It was long (lengthy) as well as long-running, and brought plenty of sixteen-wheelers across the Pennines down the years. Because of these factors it acquired something akin to a cult following, despite being nocturnal, and by being so long-lived it saw a massive variety of parcels stock, before ending up with a pretty standardised GUV composition.

Out of interest, the muppets in charge of the Birmingham MZ yesterday were unable to find these vans, either in store or on the 'system.' Numpties. rolleyes.gif

What was so famous or interesting about the RedBank Parcels?

I think its fair to say the Red bank (Heaton - Manchester Red Bank CS) was perhaps for parcels what the Bristolian / Caledonian / Mid day Scot / Atlantic Coast Express were to passenger trains.

Throughout its history had a wide variety of motive power (In steam days frequenty double headed) and stock pooled from every region. Got some DVD footage on Diesel and Electric Blue 2 of it storming through Hebden Bridge behind a class 40, mainly GUVs, CCTs, BGs with one of the CCTs rocking from side to side like a ship in a storm. Inspirational stuff!

It was long (lengthy) as well as long-running, and brought plenty of sixteen-wheelers across the Pennines down the years. Because of these factors it acquired something akin to a cult following, despite being nocturnal, and by being so long-lived it saw a massive variety of parcels stock, before ending up with a pretty standardised GUV composition.

But also the motive power would vary on it. 25's, 31's, 40's, peaks, 47's all had a stint on this train - think it was whatever the depot had available.

But also the motive power would vary on it. 25's, 31's, 40's, peaks, 47's all had a stint on this train - think it was whatever the depot had available.

Indeed. It was a veritable smorsgabord of Best of British Blue traction.

I meant to add, that of course what adds to the mystique is the fact that it is completely un-recreatable today.

The outward nocturnal working was mainly newspaper traffic from the Manchester Presses - the withy grove press (now the Printworks and for a time when captain Bob had the reigns of the Daily Mirror called, I kid you not Maxwell House) was justacross the road from its point of origin, Victoria. Its the return working of empties which tends to be the most photographed as it was in daylight - and longer, the out working often being two trainloads.

Finally got round to uploading, if you ask me the photos do not do them justice

post-6918-082873000 1283892192_thumb.jpg

post-6918-049964400 1283892210_thumb.jpg

The white box on the side of the 2nd coach says "return empty to Red Bank Carraige Sidings Manchester TOPS Code 35698 (I think that is the number)

post-6918-010064200 1283892228_thumb.jpg

post-6918-034504500 1283892257_thumb.jpg

post-6918-031457500 1283892272_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the info.

As the standard GUV is about £20, is there anything different with these other than the weathering and numbering? Cannot recall if the standard issue GUV has Newspapers on it.

Bachmann's first Blue GUV 39-272 had the words "Express Parcels" on the sides and was numbered W86479 (I think), whereas the current 39-272A has no traffic branding and is numbered 93133. A third version 39-272B is due shortly. The Bachmann publicity photo is of the first model, so who knows what if any traffic branding it will have.

As far as use is concerned, you could happily mix "Newspapers", "Express Parcels" and unbranded GUVs in parcels trains, but when used in IC passenger trains I really only remember seeing unbranded Blue GUVs on the WR, where it was common to see a Blue GUV at one end of a rake of MK2a-c stock behind a Western or a Class 50. The WR seemed to prefer using GUVs to BGs, or maybe they carried cars? There are plenty of examples in the various Ian Allan colour albums of diesels on the WR.

• RMweb Gold

Bachmann's first Blue GUV 39-272 had the words "Express Parcels" on the sides and was numbered W86479 (I think), whereas the current 39-272A has no traffic branding and is numbered 93133. A third version 39-272B is due shortly. The Bachmann publicity photo is of the first model, so who knows what if any traffic branding it will have.

As far as use is concerned, you could happily mix "Newspapers", "Express Parcels" and unbranded GUVs in parcels trains, but when used in IC passenger trains I really only remember seeing unbranded Blue GUVs on the WR, where it was common to see a Blue GUV at one end of a rake of MK2a-c stock behind a Western or a Class 50. The WR seemed to prefer using GUVs to BGs, or maybe they carried cars? There are plenty of examples in the various Ian Allan colour albums of diesels on the WR.

Thanks very much for the information :)

Hi all,

Can you tell me what the individual numbers of the vans are? I assumed they were going to be numbered in the original number systems, 86xxx, but appear to be 93xxx and 94xxx. I hope I'm wrong, wanted to purchase this set.

Mick

M94068 is the Express Parcels branded version whilst the model which carries the Red Bank Label is M93890, hope this helps.

Archived