D5900 Baby Deltic "New Build"

bluex5

Guest stuartp

I was reffering to the 37 in the article as they are a minefield.

It was the old Hornby one when it was the only game in town. It was quite impressive.

• RMweb Gold

Where'd the 30k come from JE, was it in the press release?

If that's an out-turn projection, I'd go further than saying it's good value, I'd add the adjective optimistic. blink.gif

It's probably the estimated cost of the paperwork :blink: Once the Inspectorate get their teeth into it then it might well be seen as no more than an out-turn projection (for the paperwork).

I hope this goes to plan. I have been aware of this plan for a few months now, as I have a friend who is involved with the DPS. AFAIK, detailed CAD drawings and FEA calculations had to be done to make sure it was safe to cut the class 37 superstructure and that it could maintain its structural integrity once rejoined. One of the problems is that the class 37 cab and nose taper in a fair bit, but the cab and nose of a baby deltic are full width. I hope they incorporate all the mechanical drives from the engine to the traction motor blowers and compressors, etc, so it has the realistic whirring clunking sound as the engine screams its guts out.;) Looking forward to this one.:) Lets hope someone finds a MAN power unit soon aswell. NBL 21 anyone?:D

Much as I'd love to see an NBL diesel reborn it's not going to happen unless someone did a full "new build". The baby deltic project has a complete prime mover plus the availability of EE bits including a shell that at least gives a starting point for recreating a Class 23. There are no mechanical parts or superstructure still in existance for any of the NBL locos as far as I'm aware.

Guest Max Stafford

For any hypothetical Class 29 rebuild, wouldn't a Paxman Valenta do the job? I understand that there would have been certain developments of the basic lump to meet the different needs of the class 43, but would it be that different?

Dave.

AFAIK, the Paxman Valenta was based on the Paxman Ventura used in the class 29's. I think the experience gained by BR with the Paxman lump in the class 29 was one of the reasons they went with the Valenta on the HST's. From what film footage I've seen so far, it appears that the class 29's didn't scream like an HST.

Out of interest where were the 309 bogies suposed to have come from? Afterall the one opportunity tograb them ended happier than that in that all of the 309s availible were preserved!

m0rris

The idea was being discussed at the time when the beloved 309's were still working on the GE main line.

IIRC Ken Joy who was behind the Class 21 project about 10-15 years ago bought a pair of 309 bogies and found an NBL-MAN L12V-21B engine, but couldn't get enough interest or donations to get the engine or to get the project to proceed. It was along time ago so apologies if my memory is playing tricks and I've got me facts wrong.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Looks like someone is planning some 1:1 scale kitbashing...:

http://www.preserved-diesels.co.uk/2010c/37372_1.htm

Yes, they wanted to have the loco on show at the MRLive! event but one exhibitor wanted the doors shut as it was too draughty.

I have my Baby Deltic Beer in the fridge for tonight after making a donation yesterday to this fine project :D

They certainly have my support and I will be making my donation in due course. They can also use any of my Class 23 images for their PR campaigns if it helps in any way.

Does this mean that as the DPS have two spare Deltic cab ends that DP2 also becomes a possibility??????????

I'd better sign off now!!!!!

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 7 years later...