D5900 Baby Deltic "New Build"

bluex5

I'm glad some of the RMweb massive are awake, unlike myself!!!!

The power unit should have most of the "field mods" implemented by EE to improve availability, and it's been fettled by some guys who know Deltic engines inside out. Once they had all been rebuilt the locos availability wasn't too bad, although a mixed traffic Type 2 was never the best place to use a Deltic engine.

So basically, they want to take a gas axe to a 37 then bolt together parts of it and stick on other bogies? If we did that in the modelling world, we would be branding nut jobs! However this is a unique project and proper ambitious. I like the idea of this as its not just another cl37 restoration.

Blimey - I never saw this coming!

Good luck to those involved in this project - to my mind the diesel equivalent of Tornado (not so much in the prestige side of things , but the recreation of a missing class).

We can only hope that somebody can unearth a Paxman lump to build an NBL type 2 around for the next one....

It appears that this is full size railways copying railway modellers and kit bashing a loco together I bet the DCC Chip will be impressive!biggrin.gif Good luck to this group; it will be great to see the finished product. The Baby Deltic was always a favorite loco of mine, unfortunately I only managed to see D5905/9 at Stratford after they were withdrawn.

Xerces Fobe

• Like 1

Where'd the 30k come from JE, was it in the press release?

If that's an out-turn projection, I'd go further than saying it's good value, I'd add the adjective optimistic. blink.gif

The number is listed on the website...

If they already have a working power plant, generator, tractions motors on the Class 20 bogies, all the expensive parts, and free labor...

Supaned, Tornado was built out of brand new components. This is been built from comonents already there.

I know Tornado is a new build , I was using the analogy of creating a long lost locomotive class - be that by a total new build such as Tornado(though IIRC , there are some "real" A1 parts on it) , or by a cut-and-shut such as this proposed Baby Deltic.

Either way , we get to see a locomotive that is long extinct.

The number is listed on the website...

If they already have a working power plant, generator, tractions motors on the Class 20 bogies, all the expensive parts, and free labor...

You may have a point Pete; I'm more used to the typical heavy overhaul prices the leasing companies deal in - those guys wouldn't get any change from 30k for a single overhauled bogie for a Class 90 unsure.gif

I think it deserves a donation - once the pay cheque clears, I'm sending some money. The chance to see a class 23 in my lifetime? Yes please.

*And yes, I'm aware it'll be a representation to some degree, but then so is Lyd, Tornado, Taliesin...and none of them are any less "real" locomotives for it.

£30,000 - if all us like minded souls chipped in £30 each, they'd be halfway there in a month or so. :)