A1 60152 Holyrood

Guest Max Stafford

Guest Max Stafford

What it says up there really. When Inchkennet is finally constructed, it will essentially operate in three periods; 1955-6, 1963-6 and 1967-70.

For the 1955-6 period is this machine 60152 Holyrood, a Haymarket-based A1. The model is a straight off the shelf Bachmann 'King's Courier'. The finish was arrived at via a layered process. Firstly the model had Lifecolor acrylic 'weathered black' applied to the roof, tender top and interior and on top of the running plate. From the same source, 'frame dirt' was sprayed onto the underframe and roof dirt sprayed onto the bodywork from the top down. Most of it was immediately removed. A wash of Mig productions 'dark wash' was then applied to the bodysides and boiler and again wiped off. T cut was then applied over the bodywork and gently rubbed to a muted shine. For the tender top and insides, a blend of Mig 'rail weathering' pigments was applied then sealed in with 'fixer' black and dust shades from this set were then stippled onto the cab roof, boiler top and running plate before applying the fixer again. The penultimate touch topsides was to quickly pass from fore to aft with a light spray of Humbrol acrylic matt varnish. Only the top is really intended as the target to provide a muting of the glossy upper surfaces and to seal in the pigment-weathered areas.

A very light dry-brushing of Metalcote 'gunmetal' finished off the body.

Underneath, two tasks remained. A mix of Gunmetal and light grey enamel was applied to wheels, axleboxes, buffer heads and lubricators. A final well-thinned mix of Metalcote polished steel, mixed with leather (no 62) and a bit of gloss varnish was then applied to the rods and valve gear.

The overall impression intended is that good turnout typical of 64B in the 1950s.

post-6676-128381542163_thumb.jpg

post-6676-128381543841_thumb.jpg

post-6676-128381546771_thumb.jpg

post-6676-128381549886_thumb.jpg

post-6676-128381552752_thumb.jpg

post-6676-128381555333_thumb.jpg

Like Chard says...subtly understated. What I like is how she's also got a bit of shine about her; the boiler work is superb and from the pictures I've seen of these loco's, they're not always that dirty.

I think these three loco's you've done are masterpieces Dave and thanks for imparting them trade secrets ;)

Cheers

Andy

Max, where did you find that 80' piece of wood to mount that real A1 on :O . The effect you've got here is fantastic. Some locos need a heavy amout of weathering, others were well cared for, and this is clearly a representation of a well maintained first-line machine that is just showing signs of "use". Fantastic is all I can say... everything elese has be said by others on this, the Jub and K3 threads. I will try the buffing-up with Tee-cut on my next project... Thanks for sharing this.

• 1 month later...

What it says up there really. When Inchkennet is finally constructed, it will essentially operate in three periods; 1955-6, 1963-6 and 1967-70.

For the 1955-6 period is this machine 60152 Holyrood, a Haymarket-based A1. The model is a straight off the shelf Bachmann 'King's Courier'. The finish was arrived at via a layered process. Firstly the model had Lifecolor acrylic 'weathered black' applied to the roof, tender top and interior and on top of the running plate. From the same source, 'frame dirt' was sprayed onto the underframe and roof dirt sprayed onto the bodywork from the top down. Most of it was immediately removed. A wash of Mig productions 'dark wash' was then applied to the bodysides and boiler and again wiped off. T cut was then applied over the bodywork and gently rubbed to a muted shine. For the tender top and insides, a blend of Mig 'rail weathering' pigments was applied then sealed in with 'fixer' black and dust shades from this set were then stippled onto the cab roof, boiler top and running plate before applying the fixer again. The penultimate touch topsides was to quickly pass from fore to aft with a light spray of Humbrol acrylic matt varnish. Only the top is really intended as the target to provide a muting of the glossy upper surfaces and to seal in the pigment-weathered areas.

A very light dry-brushing of Metalcote 'gunmetal' finished off the body.

Underneath, two tasks remained. A mix of Gunmetal and light grey enamel was applied to wheels, axleboxes, buffer heads and lubricators. A final well-thinned mix of Metalcote polished steel, mixed with leather (no 62) and a bit of gloss varnish was then applied to the rods and valve gear.

The overall impression intended is that good turnout typical of 64B in the 1950s.

Looks really good. What part of the country are you modelling?

• RMweb Gold

That's nice Dave.

I tell you what I'd like to see modelled - that line of semi circular swirls at the top of the boiler where when it was only a half hearted effort at cleaning it marked the limit of what they could reach standing on the running board.

• RMweb Gold

Dave

Pure gorgeousness! All in all, the very definition of subtlety and less very much being a whole lot more! Your new(ish) camera is also clearly working well. When I spoke to you at ther SECC you were still working off your phone!

Great stuff - is Inchkennet going to be EM BTW?

Gus

I tell you what I'd like to see modelled - that line of semi circular swirls at the top of the boiler where when it was only a half hearted effort at cleaning it marked the limit of what they could reach standing on the running board.

There speaks a cleaner and it's a good point too. Nicely weathered as usual Dave, although I am dissapointed you are tempting me to want an A1 when I'm broke! ;)

Guest Max Stafford

Thank you for all these kind comments lads :blush: . It looks like I got 60152 pretty right and it certainly conveys the impression I hoped it would. The loco is still OO and much as EM appeals to me, regauging approximately 60 locos doesn't... :unsure: :D

For those not in the know, Inchkennet is set in the eastern central part of Scotland, somewhere close to Stirling with equal CR and NB influence!

Been a bit quiet on the modelling side of late, but I've just finished (more or less)my J36 project which I'll post up tomorrow.

Dave.

• RMweb Premium

That's nice Dave.

Lovely model, you should be well pleased with it.

Re the boiler cleaning - don't alter it!

The Haymarket cleaning regime was more thorough than what was the norm at most sheds. The tops of the boilers were also cleaned along with everything else on a regular basis. For an example of this there is a wonderful photo of Auld Reekie on the Forth Bridge taken by Eric Treacy in his book Lure of Steam page 198. Taken from above it shows the top of the boiler gleaming like the rest of the loco.

Guest Max Stafford

This is a much trickier finish to achieve than a heavily weathered loco, but with a bit of practice the effect shown here is quite achievable in time.

Dave.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived