Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

nce power cab info required

english electric

It will "remember" the last state of things even if they are not selected. However, when you re-select an item that is not in the recall stack (two locos or units only with a Power Cab), you will have to redo the light and function settings for that item.

The only other proviso is that you have sufficient power for the twenty items you want to keep running. As a rule, I found that with a 2 amp power supply, I could have at least ten locos sitting with lights on, while running two others at the same time. Having a train of six lit Hornby Pullmans didn't cause any problems either.

I'm not so sure....

There is a stack limit in most controllers, and entry level systems like the PowerCab are around 10 or 12. More expensive systems have bigger stacks (and usually more current).

If a loco falls off the stack ( ie. stack full and loco not being driven ) what happens to its lights ? There won't be a DCC signal on the track reminding it to keep the lights on.

I don't have a PowerCab to experiment, but it would be easy for anyone else to do the experiment - dial up the first loco and turn its lights on, then dial up and "drive" imaginary locos (leave each at non-zero speed) until the stack overflows.

And then there is current limits. For just lights, I doubt its an issue (assuming LEDs), but the PowerCab is a small output, and increasing the available track current requires an upgrade; either more boosters, or to a more powerful system.

I think there was a bug-fix for the "reset the functions" issue in the PowerCab which SRMan mentioned. Its a difference between typical US and UK model railway operating practises.

- Nigel

There is a recall memory that stores only two locos in a Power Cab.

As I said earlier, locos or units not in that recall stack will retain their last settings (including lights and/or sound) until called up again, at which time they will replace one of the other locos in the recall stack. There are only two memory slots in a Power Cab.

The NCE Power Pro system has six recall slots per cab.

There is a recall memory that stores only two locos in a Power Cab.

As I said earlier, locos or units not in that recall stack will retain their last settings (including lights and/or sound) until called up again, at which time they will replace one of the other locos in the recall stack. There are only two memory slots in a Power Cab.

The NCE Power Pro system has six recall slots per cab.

The recall stack is a different matter, it is the Throttle's ability to recall locos rapidly.

I am describing how many locos the command station can run simultaneously before the system says "enough" (which it may do silently). Having now found a PowerCab manual, the maximum number of trains (what I called "stack") is 12. I would expect it to be considerably more on the PowerPro.

- Nigel

Ahhh! OK, we were talking at cross-purposes! :D I wasn't far wrong in suggesting I kept 10 locos/units with lights and / or sound running all the time. I had obviously never quite pushed it to the limit of 12.

:)

Hi,

So if someone was thinking about going DCC the power cab could be the way to go then. Are the buttons good quality a friend has a digitraks and his buttons get stuck now and then. I would be pushing buttons a bit changing loco's as I run a terminus.;)

One last question How many loco's can be stored in the power cab?

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Peter,

The Powercab can store 12 locos which could be run together, if you had enough power.

The recall stack which is different will only hold two locos, this means by using the recall button between these two locos the speed, direction of travel etc will be remembered.

If you select another loco not in this recall stack then this new loco's information will not be remembered, so it could stop or suddenly speed up when you move the thumb wheel.

In all the years I've had the Powercab I've never really had a problem with this.

There was a time when they did an upgrade which caused the loco to stop, but a newer upgrade very quickly came out to prevent this.

Push buttons are fine, not had any problem with mine for years.

The instruction manual for the powercab can be downloaded from NCE's web site, this is a good manual easy to follow and clear, may be worth downloading it and having a read first, link to manual below.

http://www.ncedcc.com/images/stories/manuals/power_cab_manual_v1.28.pdf

Cheers

Ian

Hi,

So if someone was thinking about going DCC the power cab could be the way to go then. Are the buttons good quality a friend has a digitraks and his buttons get stuck now and then. I would be pushing buttons a bit changing loco's as I run a terminus.;)

Cheers Peter.

It depends what you mean by "stored" Peter?

With the PowerCab locos are not actually stored as such.

The system has a temporary memory, known as the "Recall Stack", which can only hold 2 locos (or two consists) at once. If you add another loco, it will replace one of those two.

The PowerCab can run up to a maximum of 12 locos at once (subject to the system's power output and the power demands of each loco), but you can only toggle between 2 in the recall stack memory. Any others will require an address to be input.

In standard 2 amp form, you may not be able to run anything like 12 locos though, especially if there are sound equipped ones operating.

Also 16 advanced consists (containing an unlimited number of locos), or 4 old style consists (only 2 locos in each) can be run.

Again, just as with individual locos, the recall stack can only hold 2 consists at a time. adding another will drop one of those consists previously stored.

The "Recall Stack" can be increased to 6 locos by adding the SB3a Smart Booster (e.g. £110.00 from Bromsgrove Models), which will also provide an increase in track output power from the original 2 amps to 5 amps and allow you to use up to 4 cabs/throttles.

I hope that makes sense?

p.s. Some other systems allow you to store locos and all their settings in a memory, which is retained. For example the Dynamis can store up to 40 locos, or the ECoS which can store up to 16,384 locos.

Other systems simply have a bigger recall stack (e.g. Lenz =12 or Zimo =30 ). Some of these also have a loco naming memory too ( ESU, Lenz (from 2010), Roco, Zimo, Hornby (Elite), Bachmann (Dynamis), Veissmann, Marklin, CTE, Uhlenbrock, TAM, etc,)

If english electric or P.C.M. can get along to the Trains4U open day tomorrow (Peterborough) they are more than welcome to have a go on Summat Colliery, we run two powercabs connected together, one of which is traction's dad's old one :lol:

I now run the Power Pro system but use three Power Cabs and one Cab 04p as the controllers. For the recent Caulfield exhibition here in Melbourne, I had two Power Cabs, one as "Master" and one as a "slave", running the BRMA demo layout. Since Peter (PCM) was there on the day too, I should have got him to try out the Power Cab then.

I have to say that one of the negative points for me against Digitrax was the sticking buttons that are all the same size and feel - that was when I was weighing up whether to go Digitrax or NCE, or possibly even some other system. Both Digitrax Zephyr and NCE Power Cab are excellent starter systems that can be expanded in the future. There are a few compromises in both systems that are commensurate with them being entry-level systems.

Incidentally, Peter might have a little difficulty getting to Peterborough in time for the open day! ;)

Thanks for the help guys,

Sorry for highjacking the thread english electric, hopefully some of questions will help you too.

When I mean stored I mean, if I had say 30 chipped loco's ( i don't yet) :D but if I run my layout how I plan to I will need to use about 30 loco's. I will only need to run two at once and have a few ticking over on shed. Is it easy to remove a loco and replace it with another, or do I have to reprogam it?

Cheers Peter.

Sorry me again, Hi Jeff I have had a few goes on your controllers though I must admit I didn't know they were NCE.:O I guess at some point I would buy another power cab and between the two would have pretty much enough storage.:D

Cheers Peter.

Cat among pigeons time..... :biggrin_mini2:

How about an MRC Prodigy Advanced2 ?

25 locos held in its roster/stack! 99 throttles can be used!!!

3.5Amp to track and a fully UK legal wireless (radio) throttle available.

Single handed operation with speed up/down buttons or via a continuous turn knob. Yard mode where knob becomes centre off 'controller' style etc

Spec here...Link to MRC Sold in the UK by Gaugemaster and many distributors.

Now taking cover behind layout B)

Im thinking of buying a nce powercab dcc controller and was wondering if i can do the following with it :-i operate a 6' tmd and theres 20 locos on it can i have all the train lights and just move one loco or will it be just the one im using thanks in advance for any info supplied

Thanks for the help guys,

Sorry for highjacking the thread english electric, hopefully some of questions will help you too.

When I mean stored I mean, if I had say 30 chipped loco's ( i don't yet) :D but if I run my layout how I plan to I will need to use about 30 loco's. I will only need to run two at once and have a few ticking over on shed. Is it easy to remove a loco and replace it with another, or do I have to reprogam it?

Cheers Peter.

With NCE or Digitrax, you type something like this into the keypad on the controller:

Loco_button -> loco number (2 or 4 digits) -> enter.

And you have full control of the loco. It doesn't matter if you have 3 locos or 3000 locos, its the same process.

There is a short-cut on both maker's systems to use a recall stack; in an NCE PowerCab its a stack of two, upgradeable to six with the larger NCE systems. On Digitrax DT402 throttles its a user-settable number up to (I think) 16. But, quite frankly, the "Loco - number - enter" sequence is so simple !

With some other systems (eg. Dynamis), you have to enter every loco into its internal store, give it a name, then select from a menu. And you may run into a limit in its internal memory (eg. 40 locos in the Dynamis).

Hope this helps.

- Nigel

With NCE or Digitrax, you type something like this into the keypad on the controller:

Loco_button -> loco number (2 or 4 digits) -> enter.

And you have full control of the loco. It doesn't matter if you have 3 locos or 3000 locos, its the same process.

There is a short-cut on both maker's systems to use a recall stack; in an NCE PowerCab its a stack of two, upgradeable to six with the larger NCE systems. On Digitrax DT402 throttles its a user-settable number up to (I think) 16. But, quite frankly, the "Loco - number - enter" sequence is so simple !

With some other systems (eg. Dynamis), you have to enter every loco into its internal store, give it a name, then select from a menu. And you may run into a limit in its internal memory (eg. 40 locos in the Dynamis).

Hope this helps.

- Nigel

Thanks Nigel,

Am I right in thinking that, say I get my loco chip it use the power cab to set it up and give it a number, then when I come to use that loco I just type in the number and the chip in the loco will remember the number and realise I want to use that loco. :blink:

Cheers Peter.

That's spot on Peter. You can program it with any number between 1 and 9999 and that number remains set on the chip until you decide to change it again. What's more, that number applies no matter which DCC system you use (with a couple of exceptions for older systems which only use two-digit numbers from 1 - 99, and the beginner systems like the Bachmann E-Z Command set which only uses 1 - 9).. As an example, I can take any of my locos or units to DougN's layout and use his Digitrax controllers to run them without any changes having to be made.

NCE like to reserve numbers from 119 (I think) to 127 for consists (multiple locomotive lash-ups using a single number to control the lot) but those numbers are also usable for individual locos ... I know because I have class 150 123 using address 123.

Numbering systems vary from modeller to modeller. There has been a discussion elsewhere in RMweb on numbering schemes. Of relevance to Llanbourne, my scheme for TOPS locomotive numbers is to use the class number plus the last two digits, so 50 035 becomes 5035. Just occasionally there can be duplications with this scheme, so you may have to either renumber or modify the numbering system you use (eg 66 022 and 66 122 would both end up the same in "my" scheme). There are many other possible schemes.

That's spot on Peter. You can program it with any number between 1 and 9999 and that number remains set on the chip until you decide to change it again. What's more, that number applies no matter which DCC system you use (with a couple of exceptions for older systems which only use two-digit numbers from 1 - 99, and the beginner systems like the Bachmann E-Z Command set which only uses 1 - 9).. As an example, I can take any of my locos or units to DougN's layout and use his Digitrax controllers to run them without any changes having to be made.

NCE like to reserve numbers from 119 (I think) to 127 for consists (multiple locomotive lash-ups using a single number to control the lot) but those numbers are also usable for individual locos ... I know because I have class 150 123 using address 123.

Numbering systems vary from modeller to modeller. There has been a discussion elsewhere in RMweb on numbering schemes. Of relevance to Llanbourne, my scheme for TOPS locomotive numbers is to use the class number plus the last two digits, so 50 035 becomes 5035. Just occasionally there can be duplications with this scheme, so you may have to either renumber or modify the numbering system you use (eg 66 022 and 66 122 would both end up the same in "my" scheme). There are many other possible schemes.

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for that. NCE is loooking the best way to go at the moment.:D

Cheers Peter.

• 2 weeks later...

I went down the power cab route as it allowed me to do things that weren't offered on units at the same price at the time. I upgraded to Pro cab as i had grand plane for an empire which is til under construction but had the SB3a been about I would have chosen that path rather than the pro cab route just based on pure financial reasons as the cost difference would have allowed my empire to grow quicker

Archived