Hornby Magazine 40 - October 2010

• RMweb Premium

Am I the first - well here goes

In a plastic bag this month, and has a track plans supplement.

Contents are

Layouts

Bawdsey - ER transition

Cripps Bottom Yard - 1950s East Midlands Steam

Wingfield Junction - Freelance area/era

Reviews - inc Hornby 28xx and Dapol Brit

Ian M's Hatton Parkway pt4

Privatisation liveries

Killin Pug pt 2 chassis

Reality Check 28xx

Railway Realism - Bl** P***man

Scenes From Life - adding a pub

Paul Chetter's DCC piece re sound chip - pt2

GWR V5 waggons

Plus the usual news and letters

Happy reading

• RMweb Premium

my subscriber copy arrived yesterday.

A good general read again. I was suprised though, that given the comments made about not to scale track plans in the past on various forums, that the supplement persists with the same style. I can't see how many of the plans could possibly fit in the spaces quoted. In one example 6 turnouts are shown fitted into a 2' length?! Considering the market the mag and supplement is aimed at i really don't think this approach helps beginners. graphically the rest of the mag is great, why spoil it with questionable track plans?

• RMweb Gold

I wish Mike Wild had asked me to clean that canal before he took that photo :unsure:

The suppliers listing has gone walkabout, so for anyone who is still awake and following, listen very carefully, I will say this only once!

Sculptamold

Available from Art & Craft stores or by mail order from

Squires, 100 London Road, Bognor Regis, PO21 1DD. Tel. 01243 842424

www.squirestools.com

Extruded polystyrene sheet

Available from DIY stores.

Backscene

iD backscenes, available from

International Models, Plas Cadfor, Llwyngwril, LL37 2LA. Tel.01341 250407

www.internationalmodels.net

Knightwing kits, available from model shops or direct from

Knightwing International, Malham Works, 33 Almondbury Bank, Huddersfield,

HD5 8HE. Tel. 01484 537191

www.knightwing.co.uk

A003 Large Street Lamps

PN012 Plate Overbridge 13'' (one kit used)

Kestrel kits, available from model shops.

KD30 Modern Waiting Room

KD38 Steel Footbridge

KD39 Industrial Unit (3 kits used)

Scalescenes kits from www.scalescenes.com

R004 Medium Station Building

R008 Station Platform

R012 Concrete Bridge

R013 Retaining Wall

R014 Tunnel Portal

R015 Bridge Abutments

T034 Roads and Pavements

TX22 Car Park

Peco. available from model shops

NB-26 Platform Edging - Brick

NB-45 Peco Flexible Field Fencing

NB-66 Platform Ramp Edge - Brick

SL-340 Rail Built Buffer Stop

SL-347 Dummy Point Motors

Hornby Lyddle End, available from model shops

N8030 Wooden Garage

N8033 Radcliffe's Newsagent

N8062 AWS Boxes

N8066 Garden Shed

N8074 Corner Terrace Off Licence

N8572 Canal Bridge

N8654 Lock Keeper's Cottage

N8687 Bay Terraced House Left Hand (2 models used)

N8688 Bay Terraced House Right Hand (2 models used)

N8689 Bay Terraced Garden Walls- End

N8690 Bay Terraced Garden Walls - Mid (2 packs used)

N8704 Wilkinson's Florist

N8727 Skale Oil Petrol Station

N8748 Mason's Arms Pub

N8749 Faulkners Electrical Store

N8752 Bungalow

N9750 Fine Foods Supermarket

N8751 Hislops Barbers Shop

N8755 Big Bins (2 packs used)

N8760 Modern Phone Box

N8770 Modern Industrial Building

Sea Foam Moss available from

International Models, Plas Cadfor, Llwyngwril, LL37 2LA. Tel.01341 250407

www.internationalmodels.net

Green Scene, 60 Holly Mount, Worcester, WR4 9S. Tel. 01905 24298

www.green-scene.co.uk

Pallisade Fencing from PH Designs, www.phd-design.co.uk

Piano Wire (.018" Size 7) from eBay seller wellington101-0001

Generic model cats from eBay seller wehonest_cn

Mounting board from art & craft shops.

Florists wire (20 gauge black) from art & craft shops.

• RMweb Premium

OOOOOOOOOOOOO, froth meter on high alert and standby :lol: :P .

I'll have to wait until next week for a copy to appear in the shops, must get round to doing a subscription.

Kev

Kev - don't get too worked up, it's a pretty basic article that we're talking about here.

I got my copy from a village newsagent/convenience store on Friday morning. As I am currently housebound, I can't get to Smiffs, so I just phoned them and asked them to order me a copy, they did, and said it would be in Friday and it was - Mrs 45156 called round for it first thing. Do your shops have a distribution problem, I wonder?

I was hoping for a bit more from the track plans, and I agree that as they are "not to scale" they seem to be stretching things a bit!

Don't know if it's the loss of Chris Nevard's photos but seemed a poorer mag than of late. That and the ridiculous track plans! No radius greater than 20", and I would love to see anyone build any of the proposed pointwork in the spaces allowed. Come back Triang Super4 all is forgiven!!:rolleyes:

I was hoping for a bit more from the track plans, and I agree that as they are "not to scale" they seem to be stretching things a bit!

Yep, and including the price. At £4.95 for a little 48 page pamphlet is stretching things a bit far when the mag is less than £4.

I haven't looked through all the plans in detail but the one on page 28 & 29 has no crossover/connection between the inner and outer circuit/circle. And the one on pages 20 and 21 has no connection between the bottom half (with the run round loop and shed) and the top half (with platform). :(

G.

No, that's on page 101 - certainly something (alright, several things) rather tangled in that caption as well but at least I think the location might be correctly named :rolleyes:

There do seem to be more wrong captions in Hornby Mag than there used to be. It's a shame because in many respects it is a good magazine. Errors like this and the crop of them in last month's feature on the Underground detract from the value of the title to new entrants who might just believe what they read!

To unscramble this one: the location is Radlett and the BP probably is thundering through the station. It is not a Western 8-car BP led by M60093 but, as it says on the leading vehicle, a Midland Pullman set. The dmu is not by Pressed Steel but a Derby built 4 car set, later class 127.

There do seem to be more wrong captions in Hornby Mag than there used to be. It's a shame because in many respects it is a good magazine. Errors like this and the crop of them in last month's feature on the Underground detract from the value of the title to new entrants who might just believe what they read!

On the subject of correct information, I noticed that the writer who corrected the Underground article missed that the tube train in Epping was actually the Ongar 4-car shuttle, not a 'main line' train from Ealing Broadway, which would have usually used the other platform.

Finally got round to getting this month's issue.

After a quick skim through (more detailed read to take place when soaking in bath later) I'm mightily impressed with Wingfield Junction, but 6 (:O ) control panels must make it a lively bu$$er to operate at exhibitions :lol: .

Kev

"Cheer up," they said, "Things could get worse." So we cheered up and they did.

Sorry, chaps, I am being churlish, and ungrateful.

In all of the recent major wishlists, I have voted consistently for r-t-p buildings of LSWR pedigree. There were, and are still many on the Western Division, of quintessential LSWR style, and most from the office of Sir William Tite. Plenty of prototypes to choose from, with impeccable sources of drawings and photographs.

So now I have my wish. There is a new Skaledale product advertised (I believe for the first time) in HM40, for an ex-LSWR station building at £17.99 post free. Is it one of the above architectural gems? No. It's a model of the brick shack at Medstead & Four Marks. In style, it could just as easily have been the platelayers' hut by Wigan Pier. I shall have to have it, though, for future use in a location not yet planned.

So many thanks, HM and Skaledale for listening and trying. Just keep trying.

In good cheer,

PB

PS. I shall add it to the future layout, with the O2s in BR livery.

• 3 weeks later...

To unscramble this one: the location is Radlett and the BP probably is thundering through the station. It is not a Western 8-car BP led by M60093 but, as it says on the leading vehicle, a Midland Pullman set. The dmu is not by Pressed Steel but a Derby built 4 car set, later class 127.

On a similar note I noticed some incorrect captions in the November 2010 Railways Illustrated (from the same publishing stable). The article on the Midland Main Line in the early to mid 1970´s credits several of the photographs as being near Elstree. Two certainly are not. One with class 45 45004 on a southbound Mk1 set is just noth of St.Albans station (the two herberts are hanging off the York Road footbridge). The other depicting the Western on a empty southbound return stone train is either on the curve south of St.Albans (towards Napsbury) or on the curves between Harpenden and Chiltern Green (but definitely not Elstree).

Can anybody else comment please.

Archived