The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

The last highwayman

The Fatadder

• RMweb Gold

Wondering if anyone can help...

I've just been having a discussion with a teacher friend whos about to be teaching a primary school class on Highwaymen. This sparked an old memory of a tree alongside a road somewhere between Salisbury and Devises in Wiltshire. If I remember rightly there is a plaque next to it saying something like "this is the the tree where the last highwayman was hung in xxxx, with a bit more info about the event.

Other than the memory of the tree and stopping next to it one time when I was little to read the plaque I cant remember any more details (although I am pretty certain I've seen it mentioned on a history program on TV at some point a few years ago).

Does anyone have any idea about the place I'm thinking of, and have any more details about it?

Sadly Wikipedia & Google have let me down :(

Interesting one Rich.

Part of the lore of traincrew route knowledge is to know tremendously trivial trivia of trivial nature en route. To this end I was told that a tree visible to the downside near Kings Langley on the WCML has the same reputation as the one you mention.

Wonder if Nidge knows this one ?

The only snippets I can find I think are in a different area to that which you have mentioned (I'm still a bit useless with UK Geography) but these may be of help:

http://wilwheaton-paracosm.buzznet.com/user/photos/?id=98001

http://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/nostalgia/crimelibrary/highwaymen/

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/tadra.secretary/website/snooks.htm

hope this is of help,

Darren.

Darrens webpage links confirm what I thought... James Snooks was the man in question and he was Hanged from a Chestnut tree near the village of Boxmoor in 1802.

After taking a drive down to Wales a few weeks back I think I'll contest the claim that he was the last highwayman in Britain....have you seen the prices they charge at motorway services :blink:

Although it refers to the Last Highwayman Hanged, I think the last one shot during a highway robbery was in 1829 on the old Canterbury road, the modern A2, just beyound Sittingbourne.

The place was pointed out many years ago, and was noted locally. It was just before the period of change as the railways started and Highway Robbery was transferred to the ticket price!

Stephen.

Interesting one Rich.

Part of the lore of traincrew route knowledge is to know tremendously trivial trivia of trivial nature en route. To this end I was told that a tree visible to the downside near Kings Langley on the WCML has the same reputation as the one you mention.

Wonder if Nidge knows this one ?

Snooks's grave marked by two white stones under one of the clumps of trees on Boxmoor north of Hemel Hempstead.

Last highwayman to be hung at the scene of his crime, I was told.

It seems from the web that the last "Highway Robbery" reported as such, was on the Great North Road in 1831, so it ties in with the rise of railways and decline of coach travel. The Kent incident was a shooting by the Royal Mail guard of a Highway Robber attacking the Canterbury Mail Coach on the main A2 route over the downs near Sittingbourne.

Stephen.

Archived