21 Pin Sound into 8 pin Loco?

Tay Bridge

• RMweb Gold

Hi

As I inadvertantly got two sound chipped Deltics (21 pin) I was thinking of taking the sound out of one of them and having re blown by Howes to give my Bachmann 40 sound. What is the best way to go about fitting this/what are the problems if any?

I have looked about to see if you can get a ready plug in to go from 21 pin chip to 8 pin loco but can only find ones that go the other way. Any advice very welcome.

Chris:rolleyes:

It might be possible to do a PX for the 21 pin chip with the reblow company. I'm sure if they can test it and it's ok then they'll sort out an 8 pin for you plus a little bit of cash.

Why not reblow a 21 pin for whatever your next 21 pin loco is.

• RMweb Premium

If you can solder then this will do the job for you. It's a 1.27mm pin header that you can wire to an 8 pin plug using the wiring standards on the NMRA site. If you buy the 2x25 way version you can cut it in half and you have what's needed for 2 conversions.

Harwin pin header from RS components

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Hi

That sounds like a cost effective solution that could be done now without waiting for dateless stock. I'll get someone else to solder it as my right arm in plaster up to elbow. Wasn't that great at soldering before would be useless at moment:blink:

Cheers

chris

• RMweb Gold

Hi All

;)

Thanks for the info. I have another solution in mind now for this loco, however the info will help me with another sound project. Good thinking on the Sapphire. I need to get a 21 pin decoder for my now non -sound Deltic so can get the fly lead off that. Will then use it to sound chip my 40 using the duplicate Deltic Sound Chip I think.

Have another solution for my 50.

Thanks again folks.

Chris :D

PS I agree with the comment about Hornby selling it on it's own. Bizarre how you can get bits to go one way but not the other...:angry:

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

If you can solder then this will do the job for you. It's a 1.27mm pin header that you can wire to an 8 pin plug using the wiring standards on the NMRA site. If you buy the 2x25 way version you can cut it in half and you have what's needed for 2 conversions.

Superb solution Dave, have you actually done it yourself? If you have would you mind posting a pin number to wire colour connection table/diagram (or PM it to me)? I have just had a look at the NMRA site as you suggested and although I could probably work it out I'd rather be guided by someone who has done it successfully.:unsure:

Just acquired several 21 pin sound chips but my locos are all 8 pins!:rolleyes:

• RMweb Gold

BE CAREFUL - there are two specs for 21 pins and, as one of our WFRM lot found out, the wrong one will release the magic smoke from your decoders.

I've just fitted one of "my" adapters, the ESU one, into a Bachmann 170 which is now ready for it's sound decoder, it went a bit weird and started making 37 noises at Manchester this weekend, I think it needs a reblow :lol:

• RMweb Gold

it went a bit weird and started making 37 noises at Manchester this weekend, I think it needs a reblow :lol:

i had something similar happen with a super D it had full class 20 thrash prior to the reblow, also a royal scot 165 networker!!

• RMweb Premium

Superb solution Dave, have you actually done it yourself? If you have would you mind posting a pin number to wire colour connection table/diagram (or PM it to me)? I have just had a look at the NMRA site as you suggested and although I could probably work it out I'd rather be guided by someone who has done it successfully.:unsure:

Just acquired several 21 pin sound chips but my locos are all 8 pins!:rolleyes:

Yes I have done it myself. I have a Bachmann 21-pin class 25 decoder fitted into a Heljan class 33 with an 8 pin socket. Yeah, I know it's the wrong sound as the 25 is a 6LDA and the 33 should be an 8LDA but nobody has commented on it yet. ;)

The pin wiring scheme is described in NMRA Recommended Practice RP-9.1.1 section E on pages 4, 5, and 6. RP-9.1.1 PDF

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the pointer Dave but if you have a moment does my working out agree with yours? There is no hurry because I'm away for ten days now but I would very much appreciate a cross check rather than let the smoke out first! I have acquired two Hornby 21 pin chips from Class 60s, and four Bachmann 21 pins from a 37, 47 and two 66s most of which will be reblown by Howes.

8 pin -----------To------------------------- 21 pin

1--------Orange (motor R)------------------19

2--------Yellow (rearH/L F2)---------------- 7

3--------Green (Function F3)--------------15

4--------Black (Left Rail)--------------------21

5--------Grey (motor L)----------------------18

6--------White (H/L F1)---------------------- 8

7--------Blue (Common +ve)--------------16

8--------Red ( Right Rail)-------------------22

Fly------Purple (Function F4)-------------14

NC------------------------------------------------9------------Speaker +ve

NC-----------------------------------------------10-----------Speaker -ve

Thankyou in advance.

PS I noticed the Class25/33 hybrid at Basingstoke!:lol:

• RMweb Gold

Hi Folks

Some great replies there that have helped enlighten me a bit more. have got the bits to stick my ex Bachmann 55 001 sound chip into my 40 now. However, now have the difficulty of deciding which 40!!! Have purchased another one via classifieds on here and it is a disc headcode version. It will have to visit Jon for lights first but I am minded to do that one.

If anyone else could confirm the pins/colours/ waht wires are for that would be great:blink:

Thanks again folks

:)

Chris

• RMweb Gold

Hi

My sound chip from the Bachmann Deltic arrived back from Howes and being an impatient sort it is now fitted to my existing 40 169. It involved a lot of scraping metal with the angle grinder and some heatshrink (a lot!). I used the breakout part that was suggested and it is now a fully functioning DCC sound and light fitted Class 40!! Sounds and looks great indeed. Sound pretty loud so that reduced by a fair bit before the neighbours think a Class 40 has appeared on the old railway line behind us!!!

:D

What appeared to me to be a very complicated project has now been completed with the help of all you guys and Jason for the lights.

Cheers folks

Chris

Now better get ready for Greece...B)

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

8 pin -----------To------------------------- 21 pin

1--------Orange (motor R)------------------19

2--------Yellow (rearH/L F2)---------------- 7

3--------Green (Function F3)--------------15

4--------Black (Left Rail)--------------------21

5--------Grey (motor L)----------------------18

6--------White (H/L F1)---------------------- 8

7--------Blue (Common +ve)--------------16

8--------Red ( Right Rail)-------------------22

Fly------Purple (Function F4)-------------14

NC------------------------------------------------9------------Speaker +ve

NC-----------------------------------------------10-----------Speaker -ve

Finally got hold of the pin connectors recommended by eldavo and I can confirm that the pin connections shown above are indeed correct, and I have now got a 21pin Bacchy 37 chip happily running in a 8 pin 37. :good_mini: :drink_mini:

Archived