Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

N gauge fencing

I'm after some decent looking fencing to go across the front of a layout, I've used the Peco stuff in the past, and while it's okay I'm after something a bit more 'finescale' and less chunky (which presumably also rules out the similar Ratio and Kestrel products too…?). So, sort of general railway boundary fencing (designed to keep Joe Public out rather than livestock) on a North London line in the 1970s.

Searched on here and only found some threads relating to modern security fencing, and I’ve tried Shire Scenes, Etched Pixels, and N Brass as I figured perhaps something etched would do the trick, but nothing available. Scalelink seem to do various types but before I went for that I was wondering if there were any other options that people have used or were aware of?

I'm not even sure what sort of fence I should be looking for, I had assumed something wooden but perhaps concrete 'wall' fencing would be more likely (as another searched thread mentioned)...?

Thanks in advance.

BLMA: http://www.blmamodels.com/cgi-bin/webstore/shop.cgi?ud=AAgGDAoKAwwDBxQUEBEcHAQCBAAEBAQECQkTEQAA&t=main.red.htm&storeid=1&cols=1&categories=02002-00015&c=search.red.htm&&scount=21

Gold Medal Models: http://www.goldmm.com/nscale/gmnsctyp.htm

Neither really has a lineside fence type, but they do have other forms of etched fence. I'm sure I've also seen etched wooden rail fencing, but I don't recall the manufacturer.

Edit: Here are some other options look - particularly at the second page. (availability is questionable, though) http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/N_Scale_Fences_s/1528.htm

Adrian

• RMweb Gold

The Ratio lineside fencing is of considerably finer appearance than than the Peco product. Ratio also make a concrete panel fence that can look effective if painted well. BH Enterprises also make/stock a wide variety of fence types including a concrete post(whitemetal) and wire fence that looks very nice (See pictures). PD Marsh make some whitemetal fencing too (Sleeper type and livestock amongst others). Graham Avis do some etched products too.

post-6100-081484300 1285341033_thumb.jpg

post-6100-046268700 1285341038_thumb.jpg

post-6100-037630000 1285341042_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

The best way I have found of creating 2mm post and wire fencing is to build you own. It's slow and very repetitive but can give a much better result than an etched product.

To make your own start by making a jig to make drilling your fence posts (small square / rectangular section plastic) consistent - 0.4 or 0.5mm holes, as many as required. Once you have done all of the posts you need strip some muti-core hook up wire and thread the strands from this through the drilled holes. Painting and planting is then needed.

As I said this is not a quick route to take. I have built about 10' for Avonwick and having extended will be building another 25 - 30' at some point in the near future.

I'm after some decent looking fencing to go across the front of a layout,

Basically in N gauge you've got all the same choices as OO; chunky over-scale plastic offerings, reasonable etched brass/SS/NS choices (of just about every type of fencing around) or make it yourself. For etched options check out all the usual suspects like BHE, N Brass, TPM, Graham Avis/4D, Scale Link and some of the more esoteric American companies.

G.

The scalelink stuff is generally pretty good. For high security modern stuff I've not seen anything that can touch Micron Art fencing (and indeed Micron Art in general produce stuff that qualifies for the word 'art'). One reason I don't do much fencing 8)

For the UK it also depends which company/area is being modelled. The plastic GWR style spear fencing is pretty good and the SR concrete fencing suits plastic well. For post and wire it ought to be laser cuttable as posts with little holes in but I've not seen that as a product anywhere. For circular post/wire there is always the good old trackpin and wire fence - which has the advantage of persuading people not to lean on the board edge [1]

Alan

[1] Doubly so if you wire it a relco track cleaner >-)

Archived