Cannot start a new topic

"I'm sure that most mature modellers will already recognise that a respected modeller such as Allan could be as much, or more, of a resource to the forum than the forum would be to him. What a pity he's decided to go elsewhere!"

Thank you for the kind words butI would say that the complicated nature of this Forum decided that for me.

Take YMR as an example of how it should be done.

Within just a few days,and without help,I managed to scan pictures into my files and upload them - not just into a gallery that nobody seems to ever visit anyway - but directly onto ANY topic message board. In fact, a lot less time than it has took me so far to fail to even introduce myself on here.

Not everybody is a computer wizard,but it seems that to become a member here, you certainly need to be!.

Allan.

Images can be uploaded directly to any topic or post, click on 'Use Full Editor' whilst making a post and upload the files from the PC.

I did extend an offer of support via a third party so it's a tad unfair to make declarations without having taken up the offer. Most things in life look daunting at first until you learn how to go about it.

I could have chosen the same software as YMR some years back but it wasn't extendable in the ways I could see communications developing, it may be an unpopular choice on occasion (and it makes me swear sometimes) but as I'm the one who has to do the hardest work with it I'll stand by the choice made 3.5 years ago as the growth of the site continues unabated. 

• RMweb Gold

Probably not.

Its probably worth asking the membership as when Martin says "The downside of that of course is that a lot of the latest features which members like here are not available on there -- no Like buttons, no links to social networks, no blogs, no way of seeing who is reading what, who is posting where." I dont actually know anyone who 'likes' these things - Most people I speak to would just like a forum where they can talk trains, put pictures and more importantly is RELIABLE.  I nearly fell off my chair when it was suggested that the best way to read RMweb is to open all your topics and read one while the others load up - Are we all back on dial up or something. It might be a sensible way to read stuff here (because its so damn slow) but really?

yes its big for a model railway forum but its not a big forum and others dont have anything like the problems RMweb does. So do we as members really want all this 'value added stuff' or do we just want a forum?  (Appolgies for stepping on Andy Y's toes but these questions need to be asked every now and then)

Cheers

Jim

Personally I would provide this feedback to Andy as soon as I have it -  for example , discuss the issues at a show, or via some form of written communication such as a PM, or write a letter even, it does come across as though you're having a pop - I'm sure this isn't the case but that's how it reads.

btw-  I'm pretty sure you recently claimed the people you spoke to weren't actually members of forums, certainly not this one,  perhaps I'm getting confused.

But one thing at a time. I would suggest your post contains far too much information for a beginner to take in. Once he has his own topic, made some friends in it, and gained some confidence, a beginner can ask how to do more or go exploring other areas himself.

Martin.

Hi Martin,

Maybe, but with over 35 years experience of dealing with beginners, I know there is not a single answer that suits everyone. Some will prefer your 'click here', others will ask 'why?' and want to know what will happen and how to find their way around. In an ideal world we would just tell folk to click on anything and see what happens but, unfortunately, not everyone is prepared to do that.

Nick

ps. Allan, I can assure you that there are very few "computer wizards" on here, and most folk manage to include pictures in their posts when they wish to. I also believe that some do actually look at the galleries now and then...

"I would hope that Alan would persevere, with assistance it does become easier in time, I'm sure Allan didn't pick up raw materials and make one of his exquisite structures the first time round, he stuck with it and gained the knowledge necessary, I would ask he does the same here"

No, this is certainly true, but I was in control where there was only TWO ways of doing anything - right or wrong - no in betweens, no electronic gobbledegook, just me and the raw materials and reading what others had done before me where it was "cut out 'A' and when you have, stick it to 'B'"

And I didn't have to click onto non existing big black buttons!

With respect.

Allan.

Guest jim s-w

Personally I would provide this feedback to Andy as soon as I have it - for example , discuss the issues at a show, or via some form of written communication such as a PM, or write a letter even, it does come across as though you're having a pop - I'm sure this isn't the case but that's how it reads.

btw- I'm pretty sure you recently claimed the people you spoke to weren't actually members of forums, certainly not this one, perhaps I'm getting confused.

You are, i said my close modelling friends. Besides i spent a good 6 months discussing the future of the forum with Andy via PM but he was more interested in the past. In pretty sure you recently claimed that Andy had shown you my PMs (on facebook, remember) or perhaps i am the one who is confused?

Im not suggesting for a moment that anyone should do something just because i say but perhaps a customer satisfaction survey might help Andy to identify what people value and what they dont.

Besides i spent a good 6 months discussing the future of the forum with Andy via PM but he wasnt interested.

Jim, I don't recall any discussions on technical matters, how anything is set out and how users interact with content so the nature of any discussion (which centred around personalities rather than practicalities) is irrelevant to the question being posed by Allan. Please leave that matter aside.

Guest jim s-w

You are right andy, we didnt discuss technical matters, just the general future of the forum.

(which is what i said)

Happy to leave it there but for WIW i think the customer satisfaction thing would be of benefit to you. (no point expending effort on stuff people dont want but it might even identify new stuff that they do)

IF, you can find the BIG BLACK START NEW TOPIC BUTTON!

I apologise, my post was neither helpful or welcoming.

I hope you manage to get your head around the way the forum software work, I would like to see your recent modelling, I well remember your castle, among other models, from the 70s (80s?)*

*in my father's collection of Railway Modellers, I'm too young to have read them when they came out!

Hello Andy

I cannot show enough respect to any person that sets up a Forum on the Internet and makes a runaway success of it as you deservedly have.

But,and as you have explained ( which I'm sure you'll forgive me for not understanding a word of it!) that the facility wasn't there when you set up MRweb,but since you have - with one or two self confessed expletives here and there along the way! - you have stuck by it and for that alone, I salute you Sir!

However, and as I have seemingly spent an inordinate ammount of time this evening saying that I just cannot seem to get anything to work even if it's just to simply introduce my self to others and then forever hold my peace, I shall just leave it to others that somehow can.

With regards.

Allan.

• RMweb Gold

Hello Andy

I cannot show enough respect to any person that sets up a Forum on the Internet and makes a runaway success of it as you deservedly have.

But,and as you have explained ( which I'm sure you'll forgive me for not understanding a word of it!) that the facility wasn't there when you set up MRweb,but since you have - with one or two self confessed expletives here and there along the way! - you have stuck by it and for that alone, I salute you Sir!

However, and as I have seemingly spent an inordinate ammount of time this evening saying that I just cannot seem to get anything to work even if it's just to simply introduce my self to others and then forever hold my peace, I shall just leave it to others that somehow can.

With regards.

Allan.

Allan - you are able to reply well to topics - perhaps we can start a topic for you and you can introduce yourself formally, we can then assist you from there - one of the things this forum is very good at is rallying around those that need assistance be it modelling, technical or even spiritual on occasion ! - would that help you ?

• RMweb Gold

I think the customer satisfaction thing would be of benefit to you.

There are no customers here Jim. It's Andy's web site to do with as he wishes, and he welcomes us to come here free of charge if we want to.

regards,

Martin.

"Allan - you are able to reply well to topics - perhaps we can start a topic for you and you can introduce yourself formally, we can then assist you from there - one of the things this forum is very good at is rallying around those that need assistance be it modelling, technical or even spiritual on occasion ! - would that help you ?"

Yes Andy, of course.

If you could set up a TOPIC for me say titled, "buildings and scenery and anything else that's messy!" - I would be only to pleased to make comment - but I would ask you how would I post photo's from my computer library? - make it simple!!

My best regards.

Allan.

Guest dilbert

Most people I speak to would just like a forum where they can talk trains, put pictures and more importantly is RELIABLE.

Picking upon these comments, isn't the talking of trains, the loading of pictures and reliability the base criteria? That is the way RMweb V1.0 started off. The SU is ephemeral and adds absolutely zilch - there are the barbed comments, those have make no sense, When you add up the frills these must have an impact on server performance.

'Likes' are supported and yet 'dislikes' are not? In one way I can understand why, in another it just adds imbalance.. dilbert

Guest jim s-w

Hi Martin

If i owned a shop what would you call those who came in and made use of its facilities? Call it a membership satisfaction if it really makes a difference, means the same thing to me.

Cheers

Jim

"Allan - you are able to reply well to topics - perhaps we can start a topic for you and you can introduce yourself formally, we can then assist you from there - one of the things this forum is very good at is rallying around those that need assistance be it modelling, technical or even spiritual on occasion ! - would that help you ?"

Yes Andy, of course.

If you could set up a TOPIC for me say titled, "buildings and scenery and anything else that's messy!" - I would be only to pleased to make comment - but I would ask you how would I post photo's from my computer library? - make it simple!!

My best regards.

Allan.

I've created a topic for you here Allan - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/69204-buildings-and-scenery-and-anything-else-thats-messy-allan-downes/

When you've made a reply to that topic I'll combine it into the first post for you so hopefully it will make sense then.

A brief run-through on how to post an image:

Click in the 'Reply to this topic' box

Click on 'More Reply Options' button below the box

Type what you want to in the reply box

Click on the 'Choose Files' button below the reply box and select the files you'd like to upload

All of the images will appear at the end of the text if you do nothing else.

If you want an image to appear at a specific point within the text click your cursor in the chosen position and then click on the 'Add to Post' link which will show in the line after the uploaded iamge.

Take it steady and shout if there's a problem.

'

Guest dilbert

Right; let's stop arguing about what you like/dislike and let's concentrate on the matter in hand.

I assume that comment was aimed at myself. I'll only add that there are quite a few things that need sorting out... dilbert

• RMweb Gold

If I owned a shop what would you call those who came in and made use of its facilities?

Visitors?

Customers are people who pay for something, and then are either satisfied or not with what they receive in return.

I don't understand in what way RMweb can be likened to a shop?

regards,

Martin.

Hi ANDY, and many thanks for what you have done and I will most certainly start something up tomorrow.

Now Andy, I would like to put up pictures of a steelworks that I built way back ( the second one actually but the first is in my files, so no problem there) and a cathedral that I built also way back.

However, these are not in my files but I used Photobucket and planted them on YMR CLUB on the thread titled "LARGER THAN LIFE BUILDINGS" and if you could somehow copy them and plant them on here that would be just great and save me an awfull lot of messing about!

These particular pictures have been scanned from MODEL RAIL magazine way back and Ben Jones wouldn't mind as he and Chris Liegh always said that I could use photo's elsewhere - anyway, we're mates!

All other pics are either very, very early (1970s) black and white pics from the RM and various photo's from my own collection - mind you, MODEL RAIL are holding literaly hundreds of my photo's so how wide is your band width!!!

So let me know and tomprrow I'll make a start.

Best regards.

Allan.

• RMweb Gold

Do you really not understand the suggestion i was making or are you just choosing to be awkward?

Hi Jim,

I'm trying to change your mindset about what RMweb is and should be.

RMweb should be what Andy wants it to be, not what the visitors want it to be. Andy and Warners pay for RMweb, the visitors pay nothing.

The two things may of course be the same, but only Andy can decide that. He may prefer to lead and hope others will follow.

regards,

Martin.

Hi ANDY, and many thanks for what you have done and I will most certainly start something up tomorrow.

Now Andy, I would like to put up pictures of a steelworks that I built way back ( the second one actually but the first is in my files, so no problem there) and a cathedral that I built also way back.

However, these are not in my files but I used Photobucket and planted them on YMR CLUB on the thread titled "LARGER THAN LIFE BUILDINGS" and if you could somehow copy them and plant them on here that would be just great and save me an awfull lot of messing about!

These particular pictures have been scanned from MODEL RAIL magazine way back and Ben Jones wouldn't mind as he and Chris Liegh always said that I could use photo's elsewhere - anyway, we're mates!

All other pics are either very, very early (1970s) black and white pics from the RM and various photo's from my own collection - mind you, MODEL RAIL are holding literaly hundreds of my photo's so how wide is your band width!!!

So let me know and tomprrow I'll make a start.

Best regards.

Allan.

Hi Allan,

Although I appreciate that the intellectual property of the images is yours it would appear that the images were taken on commission (some by Tony Wright I believe) by the publication (MR) who own the copyright of the material. Although I have no problem with MR they may be sensitive to the reproduction of the material on a site owned by a competitor as we are. I'm also very keen on observing such copyright and so the safest way is purely to provide a link to the material on Photobucket by suggesting that it's best to just post a link e.g. http://i816.photobucket.com/albums/zz84/SNAPEISCOOL/sunniespige.jpg to an image rather than upload copyright material to RMweb. (This was done by posting the 'DirectLink' provided on the relevant Photobucket page). If the material isn't copyrighted it's possible to paste the IMG code provided by Photobucket e.g. 

[img=http://i816.photobucket.com/albums/zz84/SNAPEISCOOL/sunniespige.jpg]

into a post on RMweb which displays the image if you didn't wish to follow the upload instructions I'd made a little earlier.

You've produced some magnificent buildings over the years, the steelworks may be jaw-dropping but the cathedral was superlative.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Andy,

Hot-linking to an image hosted elsewhere is not an infringement of copyright because no copy has been made. This is true for German and US copyright law. There has not been a test case in the UK, but there is no reason to suppose the result would be any different. Only if a copy is uploaded to the RMweb server would copyright be infringed.

If the images are being stored and published by Photobucket on their server, any copyright issues are with Photobucket and the person who uploaded them. And by making the hot-link BBcode readily available, Photobucket are implicitly giving permission to hot-link to their server and use their bandwidth.

regards,

Martin.

Andy and Warners pay for RMweb, the visitors pay nothing.

We are, however, a "resource" that raises advertising revenue to the site when we click on stuff and view pages, so although we aren't actually paying out of our own pocket to use the site, we do help financially.

Hot-linking to an image hosted elsewhere is not an infringement of copyright because no copy has been made. This is true for German and US copyright law. There has not been a test case in the UK, but there is no reason to suppose the result would be any different. Only if a copy is uploaded to the RMweb server would copyright be infringed.

If the images are being stored and published by Photobucket on their server, any copyright issues are with Photobucket and the person who uploaded them. And by making the hot-link BBcode readily available, Photobucket are implicitly giving permission to hot-link to their server and use their bandwidth.

You are correct of course Martin; it's just I'm mindful of any sensitivities in this particular case.

Archived