Model Railways Direct

60026to

Even though I have only visited this shop once or twice since it has been open (about 18 months or so) I was impressed with the premises, stock, staff etc.

The shop is located in a brand new posh housing estate (still being built) in Portishead and will be holding a special DCC event this Saturday which starts at 10:30 and runs till 17:00.

More details can be found by clicking on the link below.

http://www.modelrailwaysdirect.co.uk

Cheers.

Even though I have only visited this shop once or twice since it has been open (about 18 months or so) I was impressed with the premises, stock, staff etc.

The shop is located in a brand new posh housing estate (still being built) in Portishead and will be holding a special DCC event this Saturday which starts at 10:30 and runs till 17:00.

More details can be found by clicking on the link below.

http://www.modelrailwaysdirect.co.uk

Cheers.

I called into the shop this afternoon on my way back from a meeting and would agree with 60026's comments about the premises, stock and staff.

Robin

Once you find the place (the directions on the website are clear and accurate), it's a most unusual area to find a model shop, let alone a model railway shop! You'd expect a newsagent/sweetshop or similar in that location.

One advantage he does have over another shop not all that far away is.......a website! (And it's up to date too.) Well, I don't think the passing trade can amount to that much! They're helpful in there, and you can actually move around in the shop without tripping up over boxes everywhere.

I have bought online from them and their service was spot on, the prices are good (Bachmann O3's when I looked are cheaper than Hattons!) I can thoroughly recommend them! I look forward trying to get to the shop now I go to Portbury occasionally.

I,ve been more than happy with there 1st class mail order service. Excellent packing and next day for £3.99. Also cheaper than Hattons by about 5% on a Bachmann steam 04.Only fault they dont seem to stock in depth but this could change if they get more support.

Regards Dave

After my initial posting I re-visited said premises today to see their DCC event and also to have a good bins inside the shop. (and very busy it was too)

I really must say that the DCC special event was alright and I was quite surprised with the marquees and free tea and cakes. A big pat on the back to all involved with that side of things, as for the shop the layout of the shop has changed (since my last visit) for the better and all of the stock was/is laid out so that you can actually pick up brand new locos (in their boxes) and have a good look.

47835 Windsor Castle did get a few 'extra' looks but sadly doesn't fit into my modelling period so therefore was not purchased but a few other things were. ;o)

If you haven't visited Model Railways Direct yet and plan to whats keeping you I can throughly recommend them or you can use their mail order service as the prices are very keen indeed.

I too can heartily recommend this shop. I have never used their mail-order service but have used the order online/collect in-store facility and also just popped in to the shop "when passing" (ahem!) many times since it opened. As it is a modern premises it is clean and well-lit and stock is well presented and easy to browse through, unlike some stores I can think of! Also unlike some model shops I have visited in the past, the staff are very friendly, helpful and nothing is too much trouble for them, even when dealing with an awkward customer like me! The icing on the cake (very nice cakes they had at the DCC event yesterday too!) is that their prices are generally very slightly better than the other large mail-order outfits, and if they are not, they will price-match.

I have no link to the shop or the owner - I do frequent other very good model shops in the Bristol/North Somerset area and of course the big mail-order establishments from time to time - but as an all-round railway-modelling retail experience, this place is hard to beat in my opinion!

Editied based on more recent experiences of the shop over the past few months/year. See latest post.

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

To me this is one of the best shops I have used.

The stock is well laid out and shop is generally spacious, they are very friendly and very helpful.

I was looking for some brass rod to replace the control arms on a couple of Peco point motors and he even opened a point package so I could compare the size of rod before I bought anything. Also great prices!

A shop that I would recommend to anyone.

Totally agree with all the positive comments re this business. It is in a most intriguing location but easy to find following Mark's excellent directions. I have also used mail order and it has been superb - items well packed and delivered promptly. Couldn't ask for a better company.

Derek

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've been in this shop before but sadly not for a few months.

Nice display, easy to navigate around, decent prices - overall a good place to do business.

And there's the chocolate shop next door, which is great for the missus...(incoming!):D They couldn't have planned it better!;)

Also, my mate lives around the corner so can call in for a cuppa after my purchases!

Alex

Popped in this morning to pick up my Class 70 and a few other things too.

This shop really does impress me it just looks and feels very professional and I can see myself using MRD rather alot and not bothering going up the M5 to another good quality model shop in a certain Spa city. Plus like today I can actually cycle to Portishead very easily so i'm 'doing' my bit for the enviroment :P too.

Excellent stuff.

• RMweb Gold

Second experience as good as the first.

Ordered a Noch Grassmaster from them on Friday.

Chap apologised as he would not be able to post until Tuesday.

I said fine as I had not built the layout yet :D

Email received last night to say its on its way.

Received this morning.

Great service.

Dunno about tubing etc Pete. Both Robin and me have been impressed by the tubing that you can get from Antic's, available in several different telescopic sizes.

MRD is definitely good on it's prices, I bought my 7f from there just before xmas for £98.00, Rails and Hatton's were £99.50 and £104.00 respectively! Unlikely that i'll be going up north for my shopping, especially when I can drive a few miles and collect to save delivery costs!

Paul

Fantastic mail order service. Ordered a Thomas range 'Edward' for my youngest son on Friday afternoon, it arrived Saturday morning extremely well packed. 20 quid cheaper than Hattons too!

Well recommended.

ROB

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I've now used these people a few more times for mail order and they have been brilliant every time. Website easy to use and shows current stock level, packing is great, I've never had any dented boxes, so far everything I've ordered has arrived the next day. This is now my first port of call if I can't get something from my local dealer - I'm finding them better (and cheaper!) than a famous merseyside retailer.....

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Just noticed a special bargins page on their website MOAs for just over a tenner and the Bachmann single road servicing shed for £33. I may have to pop down there tomorrow.

Had another quick look the depot is £32

Archived