Model Railways Direct

60026to

• RMweb Premium

This shop is only a short drive away for me!

I've been on their website and they look pretty impressive.

Are they any good?

Is it worth a visit?

What is their customer service like?

Are they worth spending my money with, or should I shop elsewhere?

Only used them for mail order but service is second to none.

Orders are always dispatched asap after placing them and the prices are competitive as well.

Keith

This shop is only a short drive away for me!

I've been on their website and they look pretty impressive.

Are they any good?

Is it worth a visit?

What is their customer service like?

Are they worth spending my money with, or should I shop elsewhere?

Just watch out for the posts when you park as I have seen a number of drivers knock the black posts.

The shop is well worth a visit.

• RMweb Gold

I've had nothing but excellent service from them every time, although only via mail order as they're too far way to visit.  Their prices are very competitive too, as they obviously realize Hatton's are their main competitor ....

Well....

I visited Model Railways Direct yesterday (Saturday) and I was SERIOUSLY IMPRESSED. :) ;)

As others have mentioned, the shop is only small, but it's stacked to the ceiling (literally) with a good selection of items.

It is in such an unlikely location, surrounded by modern private residential housing done in a 'village' style, but at the same time such a delightful spot. It's like a small village square, complete with a statue, seats, a grassed area and paving. No rushng crowds, no loud noises. it's like a 'chill out' zone. All very pleasant, particularly on a sunny saturday lunchtime.

On a sunny day a great place to bring the whole family. Those who don't want to hang around the shop ogling the wide variety of stock can take a walk around the stunning 'Port Marine' development and along the redeveloped harbourside (as we did, my wife deciding she wanted to make a detour to the estate agents in Portishead!).

Dedicated model railway shops are few and far between, and getting rare. Those with people who know what they are talking about even rarer.

The staff I saw at Model Railways Direct obviously know what they are talking about. I interupted a guy who was stacking shelves and he was only too happy to talk me through the intricacies of DCC, and manage to explain it in a way that didn't leave me looking 'glazed over'. He also had a damn good knowledge of railways in general, telling me stuff that even I didn't know (he also knew a great deal about the region and era I want to model)....this type of knowledge can be priceless when it comes to accurate railway modelling. It was obvious he was a railway modeller, which is what I want from such a shop...a dedicated model railway shop owned and staffed by railway modellers. :) People who are in the 'know', have a wealth of knowledge to call upon and that are more than happy to share this knowledge without making you feel as though you are getting in the way.

This is the sort of 'personal' service that will make me return to this shop (and their website....also very impressive) over and over again.

...and if my wife gets her way, I'll probably be living just around the corner from it....which would be no bad thing...lol!

...but yes, very impressed. Love the shop. Love the location. Definitely recommend a detour on a sunny day if you're in the area. ;)

• RMweb Premium

Well....

I visited Model Railways Direct yesterday (Saturday) and I was SERIOUSLY IMPRESSED. :) ;)

They have been doing mail order since 2006 and the shop (AFAIK) is a (relatively) new venture. Let's hope it is successful.

Keith

EDIT: they had a small stand at Warley last year for promotional purposes only, I wonder whether we might get a sales stand this year? (they aren't listed yet!)

I spoke to the chap on the stand and mentioned an item that was not routinely stocked, he noted my comment and the item duly appeared on the website. I have since purchased some from them!

I used their mail order service and it came so quickly I thought they'd delivered it in person.  I know Bristol to Fairbourne isn't far, and our local posties are very good, but the well packed parcel did have to navigate the postal black holes of Wolverhampton and Chester en-route so top marks.  Also the cheapest on-line for what I was after.

Certainly will keep them in mind for future purchases.

• 2 weeks later...

Following the positive comments above, I decided to give them a try. Firstly, their website was quick, easily navigated & with a number of ways to locate an item.

Their prices were generally quite competitive with the other shops I deal with and there were some good specials. Only downside was the postage charges which

seemed a little high compared to my usual supplier.

Anyway, placed an order and it arrived 12 days later, which is average for delivery here in Aus. Well packaged too. Happy to use them again. (Actually I did

order another item)

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

I can also recommend them.  I've used them several times - they start a new sale at the beginning of each month, although sometimes the sales are just what was left over from the previous month's sale that didn't sell.

However, if you are not in the UK, beware of their postal charges which are very high to the US and are much, much higher (3x +) than say, Hattons for instance.  I have actually put things into my cart only to cancel the whole order once the postage charges have been computed.  So the bargains on offer have to be quite good before I order from them.

The one time I had to return a faulty item to them I admit I was disappointed at how long it took them to credit my card - it doesn't take more than a month for items airmailed from California to get to the UK but it took that long to get my money back.

Matt

[Edit on 8/8/13 - got a email from them about their 2013 summer sale so had a look.  Postal charges have come down somewhat.  For example, they now are asking £7.75 for p+p to ship to California the same items Hattons would charge £4 for.  (Yes, I tested it to check.)  They use to ask £11 or more for the same items, so this is a welcome improvement.]

• 1 month later...

When I realised that Hornby's Schenker red Class 60 was released I looked on the MRD website and to my dismay they had already sold out.

Desparate* measures were required so a quick look at Hattons and today it was delivered ;o)

Another look at MRD website today and they have 3 in stock, oh well, nevermind, sorry MRD, not sure what happened there.

* Not really desparate but I did panic a tiny bit when I saw the zero stock on Tuesday !

• 2 weeks later...

First ever post but feel I have to write to praise model railways direct. Placed order Wednesday night, delivered already (Friday morning 7:30). Great price, well packed and all in excellent condition. Status updates are great and courier (interlink) also seem to be very reliable. I have used them several times now and have always been impressed. Very rare that I am this pleased - they just seem to have got everything right.

Took a little bike ride here today, bought a few small items, excellent, it really is worth a visit, if not for the shop but the surrounding environs.

Location wise I don't think MRD can be beaten.

• RMweb Gold

I can also recommend them.  I've used them several times - they start a new sale at the beginning of each month, although sometimes the sales are just what was left over from the previous month's sale that didn't sell.

However, if you are not in the UK, beware of their postal charges which are very high to the US and are much, much higher (3x +) than say, Hattons for instance.  I have actually put things into my cart only to cancel the whole order once the postage charges have been computed.  So the bargains on offer have to be quite good before I order from them.

The one time I had to return a faulty item to them I admit I was disappointed at how long it took them to credit my card - it doesn't take more than a month for items airmailed from California to get to the UK but it took that long to get my money back.

Matt

Second that on the postal charges to Europe. I looked at a locomotive here that was £10 cheaper here before postage, but on adding the postage to Denmark the order became £10 more expensive than another well known shop, Postage from Liverpool is obviously cheaper than Portishead

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

used MRD for the first time last week for some Bachmann accessory decoders, very clear website, easy to use and a bargain price to boot

one important factor which came into play for me was being able to pay by paypal which is a plus point over other on line stores, i tend to have money in there from ebay sales of unwanted stock so buying new stuff does not eat into my wages (and i can keep my cyber squandering hidden from my wife, well i could if she didn't get paypal notifications on her iPhone!)

• RMweb Premium

I have used them a couple of times to get special offers at very good prices. Delivery was some of the fastest I have experienced with the latest order placed on a Friday evening arriving on Monday morning.

Unlike what some people think Royal Mail don't always mess up, as I have never had anything but rapid delivery from MRD via RM.

Order up to 4pm and it arrives the next day (weekends excepted)

Keith

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

I've bought a few things from them and have been very happy each time. Delivery has been prompt, the goods as advertised with no problems or issues and prices have been very competitive. The thing that takes me back to them for on-line sales is that their web site is so well organised and logically constructed which makes finding things so easy compared to most other web sites. By breaking their stock down into categories which are then broken down into major classes or types and then offering search by era, manufacturer etc it makes the web site very enjoyable and efficient to use. I really think they are a lesson for other shops to copy in terms of how to set up a good web site.

• RMweb Gold

Have taken advantage of their Bargains on the website several times, very impressed with speedy delivery and great prices, even a Bachmann DCC train set. Good mail order outfit, and one of several shops' website I look at regularly.

Archived