The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

BT quotes telephone numbers

martin_wynne

• RMweb Gold

Today, from http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-11435640

In Erbistock, near Wrexham, BT told villagers it would cost them £550,000 to get a broadband connection for 80 houses. Rival Rutland Telecom then quoted £50,000, prompting BT to reassess costs and come back with a figure of £100.

If people CHOOSE to go and live in the farthest-flung (and the prettiest) corners of the Kingdom then WHY should the rest of us (who live in Grotville) have to subsidise them for gas. electric, water, sewage, broadband, postal services etc etc.

Ed

• RMweb Gold

If people CHOOSE to go and live in the farthest-flung (and the prettiest) corners of the Kingdom then WHY should the rest of us (who live in Grotville) have to subsidise them for gas. electric, water, sewage, broadband, postal services etc etc.

Ed

I don't get that, if you choose to live there you can't have it but if you're born there ?

So what if your company relocates to the area? bit of a selfish comment, where is the proof that one area subsidises another in this country.

I think My mates' phone bill is telephone numbers because of BT!

the guys at a Leicester shop have had this problem because they moved premises.

The Told BT and Arranged with BT to fix up the new telephone line and keep the same number three weeks before they moved, only problem was some Birk on the other end of the line didn't tell the BT engineers of this booking.

they open up at the new premises, without internet and a phone line.

10 phone calls in five days and no progress, the guys spent ages on the phone trying to get them to fix up their lines and get the message through to BT that they were the ones who fluffed up.

After two weeks of solid phone calls to BT (from a mobile phone!! luckily contract) they have managed to get the line rigged up for next to nothing, get FREE phone calls near enough all the time and get FREE internet. They need that phone line for business purposes and they were losing money without it!!!

So much for what was supposedly Britains finest telephone company!

Ed

... and why should we who live in the prettiest parts of the country have to subsidise the train services of those who live in Grotville while having no trains ourselves? Answers on a postcard, please! <_<

• RMweb Premium

and they were losing money without it!!!

If it is a business line, there may be grounds to claim for loss of income provided the loss can be substantiated - it's worth trying, but this would not apply to a residential line even if it is used for business purposes.

Once my contract for broadband ends in about a years time I will be waving bye bye to BT and using only mobile phone and mobile broadband.

Pete

Some of us who CHOOSE to live in the 'back of beyond' in truth around a quarter of a mile from the end of the gas main and cable connection, can't even get a mobile signal or our regional TV because there's a hill in the way!?

Archived