Model Rail 149

dibber25

• RMweb Gold

Some very good stuff there this month... I was thinking about restraining myself and reduce the number of magazines I purchase - I must admit that MR was in in the firing line but after a flick through I decided to give another mag the the chop - I found the 'static grass' article particularly informative.

Reason for Edit: my terrible prose :P

We've had more than the usual favourable comment this issue. It's useful to know which articles etc readers found most useful, so that we can continue providing what readers want. I must admit that experience of messrs Marriott & Nevard's work has led me to think I really MUST buy one of these Grasmaster things......on the other hand, its a lot of money and I really want a double chimney 'Castle' to do up all smart as Clun, and George has weathered the one we had in the office!

CHRIS LEIGH

• RMweb Premium

Chris

I think the run it like a real railway features are very good. A lot of "older hands" probably know the information in the articles , but if you are new or returning, these sort of articles are very good. I particularly enjoyed the shed one, but the marshaling yard article , with suggestions for operation was also very useful.

Sorry, don't know why this happened. Will try to find out and resolve it on Monday.

CHRIS LEIGH

Hi Chris

Spoke to retailer today. He contacted the wholesaler who supplies MR to him on Monday 11th. He'd been told that the DVDs would be sent to him. As yet no sign of them, and he was going to contact wholesaler again. (BTW there were 9 copies in total).

That sounds like its trying to resolve a c**k-up. All the copies should have the DVd glued to the cover. I guess a batch has got out without DVDs and rather than swap the mags, they're going to send him DVDs separately. The best laid schemes o' mice and men.....

CHRIS LEIGH

• RMweb Premium

Well I know it is already October the 20th but I can't seem to get a copy of the November issue anywhere. Smiths seem to be sold out and my local newsagent can't get one from his wholesaler. Was it a short run this(next) month or something?

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Premium

No different from the usual, but hopefully the covermount DVD will have caused it to sell out quicker. Phone the backnumbers/subs number and you can order one by mail order. 0845 601 1356 is the number.

CHRIS LEIGH

Thanks for the number Chris but they can't help for at least another couple of weeks as they have no stock as it is the "current" issue. :(

Cheers

Dave

That sounds like its trying to resolve a c**k-up. All the copies should have the DVd glued to the cover. I guess a batch has got out without DVDs and rather than swap the mags, they're going to send him DVDs separately. The best laid schemes o' mice and men.....

CHRIS LEIGH

Thanks Chris.

Passed on your advice to my retailer, who has now received 9 replacement copies of Model Rail 149 from his wholesaler, complete with DVDs, replacing the ones without. Have now had my copy exchanged, as will other 8 customers.

Thanks once again.

A good issue, and I found the grass article pretty good. If only money were no object... The run it like a real railway and weathering guides were also very good. I await with interest the Satlink ZRA van limited edition that was announced.

The 03s look good in the review too. Now if only some commisioner of limited edition models had a match wagon available to coincide with the release of the new Bachmann 03s.

I see the cover price is now £3.99 but Smiths are still charging £3.40 :rolleyes:

I pointed this out to the lady on the till - she said the price on the till was £3.40 and charged me that!

Dave

I was charged the full £3.99 today at WH Smiths. Perhaps I didn't buy it early enough. Not read it yet, but all pages are intact!

• RMweb Premium

The DVD arrived with my copy in Portugal. To be honest I would expect nothing less - why should we overseas recipients not get the offers sent to UK subscribers. The (higher) subscription price should allow for that.

I agree a very good issue. The photo of the 28xx at Acton Yard (page 54) is an eyeopener. Open fields in the background...it's not like that now. Down with urban sprall :( . But it does make you wonder why the GWR built the Yard there, presumably it was just a convenient place to re-marshall trains for different depots, such as that outside Paddington.

why should we overseas recipients not get the offers sent to UK subscribers. (quote)

1 It depends if the weight of the item pushes it into a much higher postage cost

2 It depends if the gift is intended for a shop promotion, in which case subscribers might not receive it.

Gifts are a marketing tool designed to sell more copies. They're not just a case of us chucking freebies around because it gives us a good feeling. It would be nice to be in that position, but life's not like that, unfortunately.

In any case, overseas subscribers DO now usually get whatever is going.

CHRIS LEIGH

• RMweb Premium

why should we overseas recipients not get the offers sent to UK subscribers. (quote)

1 It depends if the weight of the item pushes it into a much higher postage cost

2 It depends if the gift is intended for a shop promotion, in which case subscribers might not receive it.

Gifts are a marketing tool designed to sell more copies. They're not just a case of us chucking freebies around because it gives us a good feeling. It would be nice to be in that position, but life's not like that, unfortunately.

In any case, overseas subscribers DO now usually get whatever is going.

CHRIS LEIGH

Apologies Chris - you seem to have taken offence where none was intended.

I appreciate that gifts are primarily an incentive to encourage people to buy the magazine, but if that was the only reason then you could argue that no subscribers should receive them because we have committed to buying for a longer period by taking out a subscription. If you are encouraging us to renew, then surely that applies as much to overseas subscribers as those in the UK.

Yes sending gifts cost more, but this will apply to UK subscribers too. And we overseas subscribers pay more, presumably to cover the extra postage costs. So equal treatment is not an unreasonable expectation, at least as the overriding principle, so I am glad that you have confirmed this is now the norm.

Archived