Tight curve

Gene

Wow! i'd like to see more of that dock layout - looks superb to model. Where is Jack?

Best, Pete.

Some details for you Pete, it is in Oregon

CLD Pacific Grain’s trackmobile pulls four newly-unloaded covered hoppers around the loop track at CLD’s O-Dock on the Willamette River in downtown Portland. The bulk carrier Thalassini Kyra, visible at left, is in the process of taking on a load of export wheat. Additional cars wait in the small yard at right for unloading. The loop track is approximately a 45 degree curve -- an 18-inch radius in HO scale

Wow! i'd like to see more of that dock layout - looks superb to model. Where is Jack?

Best, Pete.

It's right across the river from Portland's Union Station. The old SP mainline from Portland south runs on the lower span of the "Steel Bridge" (from where the photograph of the grain terminal was taken). The Trimet light rail runs (with cars and buses) on the upper span.

In the Google image provided by Ian J, you can see (what I am guessing is the north-bound) Cascades passenger train service (from Eugene to Seattle) just east of the bridge.

Between the BNSF and UP there is a lot of railroading in Portland, each of them still has a large classification yard. There are multiple specialty loading terminals on the Willamette River. Most of them are downstream (west) of this downtown location.

I live near this, if you look on google maps, you can rotate the close up image and get the view from the other side.

I already done a track design for my father and another industry layout is 7ftx14ft

but I have used 15r for the grain and 24r everywhere else.

post-6841-058199500 1285877892_thumb.jpg

post-6841-083886900 1285877739_thumb.jpg

the other industry is from MR

post-6841-061738000 1285877858_thumb.jpg

post-6841-086111200 1285877741_thumb.jpg

During the design phase, model railroaders are often terrified that their layout will be boring, that it won't have enough elements to keep their interest. After all, who wants to invest all of that time and effort into their passion only to end up with something that isn't satisfying? We overcompensate for this fear by squeezing more and more track onto the plan until it is at the bursting point. We look at it and squeeze in still more just to be safe. The end result, to be blunt, is often a mess - a layout with more industries and scenes than the square footage can support visually. The root cause of this layout design death spiral is simple. It is a lack of information. If we as modelers can teach ourselves how railroads and industries really work, we quickly find that it takes far fewer elements, and much less track, to hold our interest. We can let out our breath, relax, reduce the amount of track on our layouts, and enjoy a model railroad that is both interesting to operate and also has enough open space to have visual balance.

A little digging transforms industries we initially thought to be boring into scenes that are much, much more interesting than we initially thought. If that rather blah one spur industry all of sudden becomes a complex operation then we need much fewer of them.

This point is brought home in an exceptionally well written article by Jim Lincoln in

Model Railroad Planning 2010. In his article, Jim breaks down the operations for a small corn syrup facility. If you look at the photo above you see two tracks with what appears to be identical, boring, black tank cars. Not so. The cars are not the same. Corn syrup comes in multiple grades and each offload pipe can only be used for the same grade of syrup or the product will be contaminated. Now things get interesting. We now realize the eight cars in the above photo are all different (different grades of syrup) and that they need to be spotted at a specific pipe for offloading. If the cut of cars arrives and there are still a few tankers being unloaded then those cars have to be pulled, the new cars placed, and the old cars put back into place.

That small two track spur now becomes an hour long switch job on a model railroad. The point is not corn syrup operations specifically but how having information on operations in general allows us to trim back the amount of track needed to make a model railroad interesting to operate.

A sophisticated design is not a complex or crowded one. In fact, often the opposite is true. A successful design creates a maximum amount of operational enjoyment with a minimum amount of track.

from lance Mainhiem on the article here is blog .

Jack is here - but take a look at Carls latest - the last but one is absolutely RIPE for a Harlem layout ( I'm about to fiddle with it!) and the one before that reminds me very much of that circular industrial layout we had earlier this year. Please note that due to real life getting in the way, I may suddenly disappear at short notice for a while, but I will be back!

Jack is here - but take a look at Carls latest - the last but one is absolutely RIPE for a Harlem layout ( I'm about to fiddle with it!) and the one before that reminds me very much of that circular industrial layout we had earlier this year. Please note that due to real life getting in the way, I may suddenly disappear at short notice for a while, but I will be back!

"A Word to the Wyes" - fascinating little sucker. I could see that being a corner part to a longer switcher (with a fiddleyard at the other end representing the rest of the world). It's a neat idea having a loop and wye connected - don't think I've seen that before.

Best, Pete.

The lifting bridge just below the yard also looks interesting, quite a structure, lifting multiple decks, roadway and track.

Stephen

Portlanders (who are quite proud of their bridges) very imaginatively named it the "steel bridge". It does have a lot going on. Rail and bicyles on the bottom deck, road traffic and light rail (essentially articulated trams) on the top deck. The lifting section is still functional and is used regularly. Wikipedia has a article.

"A Word to the Wyes" - fascinating little sucker. I could see that being a corner part to a longer switcher (with a fiddleyard at the other end representing the rest of the world). It's a neat idea having a loop and wye connected - don't think I've seen that before.

Best, Pete.

I hope Gene will forgive me putting this in here, but since I had said I was fiddling this seemed like the best place. My expanded version of Carls design - slightly larger at 2mtrs x 1mtr, but it seems a good model for switching things around, and includes the carfloat and a similar warehouse facility in the original Bronx Terminal

post-6688-096619100 1286012973_thumb.jpg

Sorry Gene - have your post back!

Not a problem Jack...LOLOL! Of course THE model version of the Bronx Terminal must be Tim Warris' version

I hope Gene will forgive me putting this in here, but since I had said I was fiddling this seemed like the best place. My expanded version of Carls design - slightly larger at 2mtrs x 1mtr, but it seems a good model for switching things around, and includes the carfloat and a similar warehouse facility in the original Bronx Terminal

post-6688-096619100 1286012973_thumb.jpg

Sorry Gene - have your post back!

Oh, yes - Tim Warris' model is definitely THE definitive model of the Bronx Terminal - this was just an idea for a mythical terminal set in the Bronx - with slightly less complicated trackage, to see what could bee done with Carls plan as the basis, and using Setrack or similar+ flex in a couple of places. You all know that I can't leave a perfectly good trackplan alone........

Could almost tip a guy to the "dark side"

Why not?

Everyone complains about all the DMU/EMU's and lack of freight in the UK - over here it is still about muscling cars about. Here's a vid I linked to earlier today (recorded late last year):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QtqntmlGKI&feature=related

Four stops down the line (or so) from me.

best, Pete.

Archived