The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Me, Willey. "The bowler's Holding, the batsmen's Willey" - never happened on Test Match Special. It was a spoof started by a woman who "complained" to the BBC. See any history of TMS.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

Finally had a chance to start going through some of the pics we took at the Chelsea Flower Show on Tuesday.

One thing we managed that very few others did was to get close to the rarest orchid in Britain in Le Jardin de Yorkshire.

One Lady Slipper to hopefully brighten your day.

post-2818-0-27773200-1369567182_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Me, Willey. "The bowler's Holding, the batsmen's Willey" - never happened on Test Match Special. It was a spoof started by a woman who "complained" to the BBC. See any history of TMS.

Best, Pete.

Maybe not but Jonners did get the giggles over Botham 'failing to get his leg over'

Don

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

How strange that two ERs were at the same pie shop, and it appears from the reference to high tide, at about the same time - I was in the queue for my most delicious Huntsman's pie at about half past eleven - then went round the corner to Grange's excellent chip shop, and made it up to pie and chips.  Seems that maybe probably Shedman and 45156 met or passed in Grange without knowing it.  Though Ohmisterporter and I live in the same road, and didn't know for some years that we were both RMWebbers.

Lovely sun now and we went to a car boot this morning, and among the bargains set out for our delectation was a stall with a few old railway mags, and a thumb through revealed the usual dross, 1995 Steam Railway, 1996 Modern Railways, you know the sort of thing.... then in a box at the other side of the stall - a near mint copy of the December 1961 Trains Illustrated, and a June 1962 Modern Railways formerly Trains Illustrated.  Both were on offer for the princely sum of 40p each, and the December 1961 was the last TI published.  It is interesting to read now some of the articles setting out BRs ideas and proposals, including a piece on an experiment on the Southern relating to the trials of push-pull high speed operation with a view to using it when the Bournemouth line was electrified - also a piece on the implementation of 25kv electrification.  In the withdrawals section was the end of the Princess Classes on the LMR, and there was a mention of deferring decisions about closures of some routes until the Beeching recommendations were finalised.  Lots of photos of brand new diesels which have since disappeared.

Lily sends her love,  Here she is making sure that the sandpit that I just tidied up is more to her liking....

post-103-0-23892300-1369581642_thumb.jpg

Regards to All

Stewart

Edited by 45156
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all,

Just returned from Railex/RMwebfest (or should that be RMweb infested?) which was an absolutely top notch show complemented by decent width aisles and not overcrowded.  Plenty of RMweb folk about including Olddudders of our particular part of this place on the web; seems he's been having a very enjoyable time tootling round the country for teh past week and no doubt all will be told once he returns to the sunny Sarthe.

And some top notch layouts plus good quality trade support so ideal for those not always easy to get items and breakfast before going in (not part of the ticket price I hasten to add) - only problem of the entire day was the traffic coming back this afternoon.

• Like 3

In the end I wasn't up to going to RailEx. I did a big Tesco shop yesterday morning and it really took it out of me. Doesn't help that I've got a chest infection (again!), so I decided that discretion was the better part of valour.

Best wishes to all

Ed

Well, it has only rained once today...  All day...

Given that the weather was so revolting, I decided to do some work on my layout.  High time to be honest - I've been away from it for too long.  So, I put the radio on and made some progress.  The radio in question is this one.

DSCF0198_zps611c83e6.jpg

I got hold of this one a little while ago, and it needed a little work to get it going again. The usual stuff, a few replacement capacitors and a good clean of the mechanical switches - unusually, I didn't even have to replace the mixer valve. It now sounds great, and has the distinction of being the last model of valve radio made by Bush in the UK - It dates from the late 60s and by this time transistors were already making significant in-roads.

The cabinet needs some work, but electronically, it is working just fine!

• Like 6

Well, it has only rained once today...  All day...

Given that the weather was so revolting, I decided to do some work on my layout.  High time to be honest - I've been away from it for too long.  So, I put the radio on and made some progress.  The radio in question is this one.

DSCF0198_zps611c83e6.jpg

I got hold of this one a little while ago, and it needed a little work to get it going again. The usual stuff, a few replacement capacitors and a good clean of the mechanical switches - unusually, I didn't even have to replace the mixer valve. It now sounds great, and has the distinction of being the last model of valve radio made by Bush in the UK - It dates from the late 60s and by this time transistors were already making significant in-roads.

The cabinet needs some work, but electronically, it is working just fine!

:no: These new-fangled superheterodyne wireless` will never catch-on........`they`re just too complicated: i bet that one has (at least) three transistors! :mosking:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well, it has only rained once today...  All day... Given that the weather was so revolting, I decided to do some work on my layout.  High time to be honest - I've been away from it for too long.  So, I put the radio on and made some progress.  The radio in question is this one. DSCF0198_zps611c83e6.jpgI got hold of this one a little while ago, and it needed a little work to get it going again. The usual stuff, a few replacement capacitors and a good clean of the mechanical switches - unusually, I didn't even have to replace the mixer valve. It now sounds great, and has the distinction of being the last model of valve radio made by Bush in the UK - It dates from the late 60s and by this time transistors were already making significant in-roads.The cabinet needs some work, but electronically, it is working just fine!

Where's the remote control??

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Nice bit of gear there, Robert! I continue to be amazed that the old Saba Freiburg we got is still going strong, too. Plus, it sounds remarkably good, given its age!

Edit – For anyone who may have joined ERs in more recent times, it's this:

img_1213ozu4t.jpg

Edited by 1216 025
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Nice wireless sets there - even I was able to work on these when I was younger - usually was a duff valve that was the problem.  It was a highly skilled job to tap each one with the handle of the screwdriver to see which one was microphonic - then just change it and hey presto.....

TV sets were also very similar.

Maybe not but Jonners did get the giggles over Botham 'failing to get his leg over'

Don

True but one has nothing to do with the other.....

Johnston's "waiting for a tickle" comment was probably the funniest.

Best, Pete.

It was a highly skilled job to tap each one with the handle of the screwdriver to see which one was microphonic - then just change it and hey presto.....

Thermionic histrionics. :mosking:

Father was a radar artificer; he used a valve tester. :read:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

.........See any history of TMS.

Googled 'any history of TMS'

Didn't realise that Telekom Malaysia was so boring or Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation so intriguing.

• Like 1

Your 'profile' is only showing 3 friends, Ashers.

I'm sure you have more than that!

Well, in real life and in FB life, yes! On here it's rather different because, with one notable exception, I haven't actually met any of the good folk on ER with whom I interact quite regularly. I guess it's the same for others.

Nice wireless sets there - even I was able to work on these when I was younger - usually was a duff valve that was the problem.  It was a highly skilled job to tap each one with the handle of the screwdriver to see which one was microphonic - then just change it and hey presto.....

TV sets were also very similar.

Being an apprentice TV engineer you soon got asbestos fingers.You also got  into the habbit of doing a good job when you cleaned the old B&W TV screens, it was a major job that all apprentices had to do and if you didn't do it correctly start all over again.

Johnston's "waiting for a tickle" comment was probably the funniest.

I do recall (back in the 70`s) Murray Walker observed that:

"Kenny Roberts was pushing his nose up Barry Sheene`s backside......again!"

......much hilarity ensued!

• RMweb Gold

Well, in real life and in FB life, yes! On here it's rather different because, with one notable exception, I haven't actually met any of the good folk on ER with whom I interact quite regularly. I guess it's the same for others.

I think the difference is that we all regard each other as friends without the need to click on a button. In some ways collecting 'friends' is rather like those pennats that some people used to obliterate their rear view. The compassion and warmth shown to others (which I was grateful to recieve for one) shows how friendly we all are. So Ash I consider you a friend though I could possibly pass you in the street unknowing.

Don

it should read pennants not pennats

Edited by Donw
  • Like 6

Good morning all,  well yesterdays jobs went without incident.......and every thing worked after! 

Only three project sites to visit today, and all reasonably close together. 

Enjoy your bank holiday

Trev

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I used to find the green magic eye tuning thingy on our old valve radio more interesting than some of the programmes when I was a child

I found windscreen wipers highly intriguing when I was a kid and would often stand at the window for hours to observe the cars going by while it was raining!

Morning All,

It is another filthy morning here - It looks like it is going to be another day of wall-to-wall rain!

That's a lovely radio you've got there Dominik.  Unless I am mistaken, that's a Freiburg 100-Stereo which was a very advanced radio for its time.  It is a little earlier than mine, but definitely a lot more advanced.

As for Valve Testers and Asbestos fingers - actually I have neither!  I came very close to buying an valve tester a couple of years ago, but decided not to on the basis that I wouldn't use it that often, and one can usually replace a suspected duff valve with a known good one.

Oh well - time for a coffee!

Have a good day everyone...

Speaking of Windscreen wipers, when I was at school the Father of a friend of mine had an old Renault. 

The wipers used to run off the manifold vacuum.  It was the most terrible idea imaginable.  When you were crawling along in traffic the wipers would be wiping 19 to the dozen, but as soon as you got up any sort of speed they would slow to a crawl! :O