The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

OK Don - I'm not ashamed of it but don't think it particularly worthy of these pages. However as a few others agree with you & I respect your opinions here for better or worse are a couple of pics.

Regards,

Bob

post-5890-0-45715100-1371718254_thumb.jpg

post-5890-0-33434200-1371718280_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

I wuz watching "Velocity" last night and it showed some poor sap who bought an F40 rather cheaply. It needed a new windscreen (and gearbox) which the guy got but when it was being fitted it almost split into two.

Nevermind it was only $7,000.00! Now he is into $14,000.00 just for glass.

No wonder Gordon just rents "his" supercars.....

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

• RMweb Gold

Having got the card out of my camera, a couple of shots of the Krohn Ferrari.

Here it is just passing the adjacent Corvette pit on the low-loader. The bald guy in the white suit is Jan Magnussen, Danish star of the works Corvette team.

post-4295-0-70588200-1371720076_thumb.jpg

And here Krohn personnel inch the car off the trailer, which took some time. In the background, the tall guy with the blonde lady is Tracy Krohn, who clearly suffered rather less in this accident than he has in one or two others. Obviously the 458 is better built than Pete's story about that F40!

post-4295-0-79262700-1371720223_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

I've just received a letter from my bank (which I partially own along with the rest of you and everyone else) offering to lend me some money.

Does this mean I'd be borrowing from myself & if I failed to repay it would I have to employ a debt collector to obtain payment from myself?  :banghead:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Our weather forecast has changed from 'heavy rain' to 'light showers' but it's mighty muggy/close at the moment so we might get some thunderstorms yet.  Thinking about 'Amazon Logistics' I can quite see the point as it must make easier for ladies of that tribe to carry the boxes - clearly not just a bow & arrow thing.

Nice fun little railway there GDB - just right for a spot of relaxation.  And Ian the Ferrari I saw in, and made sure I followed out of, Tesco's car park yesterday was definitely in better nick than that one (a 348) but alas a police car preceded it along the main road out of the 30 mph limit so it was a waste of time having both front windows open! 

The only auction lot I secured last week should be arriving this afternoon - I was quite surprised to get it at a reasonable price as it is is a nice selection of naval postcards, some of which are from a common 1930s series but are in nice condition, plus a number of views of torpedoed merchant ships sinking - probably WWI from the quick glance when viewing last week.  In the peculiar world of auctions one lot on which I placed a good 'solid' bid went for a hammer price £10 higher which was ludicrous for an 1880s handbill in poor condition and a 1950s one - looks like the handbill buyers might be back in the hunt, alas.

And as far as banks are concerned I wish the b*gg*rs would pay me a bit lot more for the money I'm lending them!

Have a good day folks.

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 5

I have a postcard of  the Lusitania from my Great Uncle (who was enroute to Pittsburgh at the time) taking it to New York. Spoilt somewhat by my Mum who dropped a large blob of white emulsion on to it sometime in the sixties....

Best, Pete.

Morning all.  Bit close in Edinburgh too.

Had hoped to escape work at 5 yesterday and listen to the end of the cricket.  Unfortunately England had just been too efficient and won the game just before I left work.  Today's could be a cracker if it's not too badly affected by the rain at Cardiff.

• RMweb Gold

OK Don - I'm not ashamed of it but don't think it particularly worthy of these pages. However as a few others agree with you & I respect your opinions here for better or worse are a couple of pics.

There are plenty of people on forums who can talk a good layout, but far fewer who demonstrate they actually have one. Here, we have a working model with ballast, buildings, scenery and signals. And it's fun. That's a lot of boxes ticked.

• Like 1

A reminder of holidays in Majorca.

Tapas in a Palma Square.

It looks a bit rough but it was delicious!

attachicon.gifPalmaTapas.jpg

I enjoyed the food so much in Mallorca that I didn't photograph the dishes - that would just leave me yearning for more. Along with skipepsi as he mentioned earlier - I need to lose a few kilos. Portion size and exercise now the order of the day!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Seen on another forum and lifted here for your amusement:

A friend went to Beijing recently and was given this brochure by the

hotel. It is precious. She is keeping it and reading it whenever she feels

depressed. Obviously, it has been translated directly, word for word from

Mandarin to English...

Getting There:
Our representative will make you wait at the airport. The bus to the hotel
runs along the lake shore. Soon you will feel pleasure in passing water. You
will know that you are getting near the hotel, because you will go round the
bend. The manager will await you in the entrance hall. He always tries to
have intercourse with all new guests.
The hotel:
This is a family hotel, so children are very welcome. We of course are
always pleased to accept adultery. Highly skilled nurses are available in
the evenings to put down your children. Guests are invited to conjugate in
the bar and expose themselves to others. But please note that ladies are not
allowed to have babies in the bar. We organize social games, so no guest is
ever left alone to play with them self.
The Restaurant:
Our menus have been carefully chosen to be ordinary and unexciting. At
dinner, our quartet will circulate from table to table, and fiddle with you.
Your Room:
Every room has excellent facilities for your private parts In winter, every
room is on heat. Each room has a balcony offering views of outstanding
obscenity! .. You will not be disturbed by traffic noise, since the road
between the hotel and the lake is used only by pederasts
Bed
Your bed has been made in accordance with local tradition. If you have any
other ideas please ring for the chambermaid. Please take advantage of her.
She will be very pleased to squash your shirts, blouses and underwear. If
asked, she will also squeeze your trousers.
Above all:
When you leave us at the end of your holiday, you will have no hope. You
will struggle to forget it."

Regards

Richard

• RMweb Gold

The bread maker has arrived. Two Amazons turned up in an unmarked white van. One gets out and hands me a package big enough to hold a slice of bread. I informed them that this was for another address. The ladies were convinced they were at the other address. I very patiently explained I was at the correct address, I could see my parcel by the open door of their van. Suddenly it clicked that they were in the right place for my parcel. I would rate them 10/10 for wearing of hi-vis clothing but as for anything else, well after many years of only writing the positive in student reports I think I should just leave a "no comment".

I don't think there is any point Aditi renewing her Amazon Prime account. The online reviews for the Amazon Logistics service didn't encourage me to order something else. Another item I wanted is on "Click and Collect" from a local Waitrose. I can do my weekend shopping there tomorrow too. I rather like the Waitrose store, no matter how busy it is it always seems "calm", perhaps it is the colour scheme.

Any shopping tomorrow will take place after Robbie's visit to the vet. He will be in kennels for 10 days in August and needs a valid kennel cough treatment. This is administered by squirting the vaccine up a nostril. I wonder if he will remember from last year? After he sneezed over the vet I don't think she would be getting kennel cough either.

Tony

• Like 2

Grandadbob, What a GRAND layout! As someone has already mentioned it ticks most boxes. I counted 14 locos ready for action, two passenger trains, two goods trains and plenty of stock for shunting and making up additional different trains. The grand kids must love it! I know I would!

The curved platforms are especially to be commended

Thanks for posting the pics.

One question. From where do you operate?

Edited by DonBradley

• RMweb Gold

Don,

As I wrote originally, I lifted it from another forum,  so have no way of verifying its authenticity.

But it made me smile.

Deep down I suspect it was written intentionally after a great deal of thought.

Regards

Richard

• RMweb Gold

Grandadbob, What a GRAND layout! As someone has already mentioned it ticks most boxes. I counted 14 locos ready for action, two passenger trains, two goods trains and plenty of stock for shunting and making up additional different trains. The grand kids must love it! I know I would!

The curved platforms are especially to be commended

Thanks for posting the pics.

One question. From where do you operate?

Thank you Don & everyone else for your kind words.

There are actually 18 locos plus a considerable number of other coaches & wagons together with more building kits & scenery. I would need a layout about 3 or 4 times the size to fit it all in.  I do find it difficult to resist buying things that I like!

I have read on these pages that you can never have enough stock although "somebody" seems to think I possibly do.  However she is guilty of buying some of it.  

I operate from here:

post-5890-0-37961300-1371746159_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

I think sometimes the deadly serious side of our hobby loses touch with the fact it's supposed to be fun.  While I have a fairly reasonable (ish...) HO scale layout, I also 'play trains' in the garden with my totally freelance G scale, and enjoy both.  I would never dream to heavily criticise anyone else's layout, no matter what level it is at. Constructive comment yes, but not criticise.  Bob obviously has fun from his layout, and engages his grandkids too which is a treat to hear, and what is more, it works.....I'm sure a few of the allegedly deadly serious 'modellers' actually don't much model at all.  Some folk don't seem to post photos of their efforts whilst taking a critical view of other folks efforts.  That bugs me.

Oh, that looks a bit provocative, it isn't meant to be, but I'm sure you understand where I'm coming from! 

Oh yeah - the HO!  Bit of a clash of periods going on there, the 2-8-0 was too cheap to ignore!

post-10195-0-69359800-1371757232.jpg

Edited by New Haven Neil
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold

This mention of fun is far more inspiring than some of the deadly serious stuff! I think I may make a start on my OO track laying tomorrow. I haven't done anything UK based for ages, though I have been acquiring a few items to have fun runs with. The location will be somewhere in Warwickshire in the early(ish) 1960s. I even have a model of the bus I used to go to school on! So far I have a semi circular board of approx 1 metre radius and some six foot  by 50cm (well it is OO and mixed units are OK) boards. I'm not sure I could get away with draping them over the bed like Bob's layout though. I am supposed to be getting the guest bedroom ready for assorted visitors!

Tony

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

This mention of fun is far more inspiring than some of the deadly serious stuff! . I'm not sure I could get away with draping them over the bed like Bob's layout though. I am supposed to be getting the guest bedroom ready for assorted visitors!

Tony

The layout is on wheels and can be pulled over the foot of the bed leaving enough room for us to use the bed albeit with our feet under the station. Chris & I use this room if we have guests & give them our room. There is a fun element in this as well because whoever is nearest the window has to climb over the other if they wish to leave the room for any reason!  :yes:  :whistle:

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

New haven Niel. You're spot on. The most fun with our hobby is to be found with the kids. Thats why a have installed a 6 pin socket on the front of dunster, for the kids to have a go at the Medford show each year. Last year one Boy was dragged screaming from the hall after I suggested he let the next kid have the controller! I hardly got to play trains myself!

Great layout Grandadbob, anything digital scares the hell out of me! Know what you mean by trouble resisting buying stuff you like ie; wagon kits and American HO building kits like the ones above, there's nothing better than kit bashing on rainy days! Just wish my kid was still into it.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Sometimes we make bad decisions. Well, I do, anyway. Evening practice at LM started at 7, so I left just before 6, fed the horses, was 3 miles from the circuit at 6.45. And then the traffic was just solid. I was due to met people for dinner at 8. At 8.30 I was within walking distance - indeed pi**ing distance - of the circuit, but had moved 100 yards in an hour, and had at least 250 or more cars between me and my booked car-park space. Being on a dual-carriageway I couldn't even just dump the car and walk. So I gave up. When the Brit trio alongside - a new Bentley, a very, very old Bentley and a new-ish Espace - decided that blocking the fast lane while they waited to get into the slow lane was not such a good idea, as the French lorry-driver not far behind had walked up to indicate his ongoing displeasure at their impudence - I followed them and cut round via Arnage and back home. A complete waste of three hours. Had Deb been with me, we'd have left at 3, arrived in no great hurry and watched things on the circuit. Independence isn't all it's cracked up to be!