Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

I thought I would suggest this here and gauge opinion before presenting it in the correct thread within RM Web.

RM Web Live Sept 2014:

One presumes that such a magnificence would open extra early for all the ER fraternity?

Perhaps ERs could also have their own little corner, sequestered away from railway matters?

We could have a monologue from that doyen of the stage: Ashers.

'A Collie sheep herding demo': Debs and Co

'The rules of cricket, and how to guess them: Barry O

'Caffs I have known':  A railwayman tries to remember:  Mike the Stationmaster

'How to Fraggle Rock':  NHN.

What do ERs think?

Do you have any other (un)worthy suggestions?

Regards

Richard

No LNER Footballers, please!   :jester:

• RMweb Premium

Belated but I hope you all had a great Christmas day

'The rules of cricket, and how to guess them: Barry O

Well I can do the laws starting with .... How many are there???

Managed to build lunch... watch her indoors big Herbert and Little Herbert plus "little" sister devour it...  I went for a quick walk ... no more food on the horizon just yet so time for some book reading as Santa brought me 5 railway books..... ooh err!!

Have a good Boxing Day if I don't get back on before then...

Barry O

Edited by Barry O

• RMweb Gold

A slightly belated merry Christmas to all.

Spent a very pleasant day at my daughter's place, with her, her fiancé and his parents. A superb lunch was followed by a most enjoyable afternoon. It was their first Christmas in their new home and they were so nervous that everything should be just right - and it was.

Back home now and can't decide between the grape and the grain. I think a cheeseboard with the port might win out tonight.

• Like 2

can't decide between the grape and the grain. I think a cheeseboard with the port might win out tonight.

IMHO, a nice malt will go well with some cheeses, especially mature cheddars and stiltons. The softer and more creamy cheeses are too sweet to go with the pallette of most malts.

• RMweb Gold

Sorry, got to disagree there Gruff.

A malt is to be savoured and it's finer qualities appreciated without any conflicting distractions.

The only thing to complement a malt is a second glass of malt.

Edit: An unusual combination I was introduced to not too long ago was Christmas cake and a mature cheddar. Try it if you have never done so.

Edited by BoD
  • Like 1

A malt is to be savoured and it's finer qualities appreciated without any conflicting distractions.

Edit: An unusual combination I was introduced to not too long ago was Christmas cake and a mature cheddar. Try it if you have never done so.

I am not about to argue with you BoD. I do enjoy a nice malt without cheese too, my doctor doesn't like me having more than a matchbox sized piece a day so generally I have a malt and a little filtered water, the cheese option is rare but enjoyable all the same.

• RMweb Premium

Standard issue in Yorkshire!!  (Although Wensleydale is more appropriate)

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

not unlike the serving of wensleydale cheese and fruit cake in the north, feels wrong but somehow works.

edit to apologise for a similar response to Barry, must have crossed in the ether

Edited by colin penfold

• RMweb Gold

Update on the Drinks situation:

2 bottles of Penderyn malt

1 bottle of Jamesons

2 bottles of port

2 bottles of vodka

A masterclass in whisky tasting for my brother and I at the Penderyn distillery.

Oh and a box of wine gums from my mother!

At this rate i shall end up like this:

Regards

Richard

• RMweb Premium

IMHO, a nice malt will go well with some cheeses, especially mature cheddars and stiltons. The softer and more creamy cheeses are too sweet to go with the pallette of most malts.

I agree I'm just relaxing with some malt and the left over blue Wensleydale after all the outlaw's, inlaws and assorted hangers on have departed.

Jamie

• Like 2

Ah! The Single Malt. My favourite tipple.

Having been educated by Scottish friend to drink my whiskey as 1finger whiskey and 1 finger spring water (and who am I to argue with a man who had a beard like a forest and who could use cabers as toothpicks), I have one everyday as my "drink before bedtime". Mostly, but not always, a 12 year old. However, once a year (and on my birthday) I have a wee dram of 50 year old single malt that I got for my 50th birthday (casked the year I was born, bottled the year I turned 50). Very nice, very complex single malt. Not one for sipping whilst doing anything else, but one for studiously savouring... And only another 6 months to go before my next wee dram of 50y.o.

Consumable Christmas gifts included biscuits, chocolate liqueurs and a Stollen, but alas no single malt (not even from Mrs iD).

Well, at least there's always the home-made whiskey cake to look forward to on the 27th. Yum.

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 2

Update on the Drinks situation:

2 bottles of Penderyn malt

1 bottle of Jamesons

2 bottles of port

2 bottles of vodka

A masterclass in whisky tasting for my brother and I at the Penderyn distillery.

Oh and a box of wine gums from my mother!

Ah, the top of a very slippery slope! :nono: ..............The new year might require a trip to wine gummers` anonymous. :mosking:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Evening all.

Hope it's all going well.

We've finally consumed the turkey and trimmings and are settling down, well the others are, I'm waiting for a ballast to leave March so I can go and photograph it at the local station - in fact whilst typing this I notice it's on it's way. The videos will hopefully be Ok (ish) and for the still photos ? - spray and pray is the term that comes to mind - as long as the station lights have been left on I should get something - well..... Can't resist the chance to photograph a train on Christmas day though !

• Like 3

Evening all, 

Surprise emails from both son & daughter this morning. (I'd thought they'd forgot me!)

Had a cracking day here visiting Homosassa Wild Life Park.  A few photos attached,  including rescued Manatees (aka Sea Cows) and lots of native wild birds....

For Xmas dinner apparently I'm having Seafood Chowder......hope your day went well.

Trev.

post-4282-0-71985400-1388010875.jpg

post-4282-0-22920500-1388010903.jpg

post-4282-0-01206800-1388010934.jpg

post-4282-0-23036400-1388010985.jpg

post-4282-0-65288100-1388011059.jpg

post-4282-0-50305700-1388011560.jpg

post-4282-0-68117300-1388011587.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

66739 and 66725 duly photographed (a loose term) passing at 22:18, with ice forming, the temperature was 0 deg C, glad I went to see them, there is another ballast tomorrow morning and I know there's still a good chance it could be a celebrity loco on it (66718 , 720 or 721)

• Like 3