The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Is that a polite euphemism for "she wouldn't"?

Lol! She was one of those for whom the glass was always half empty nothing was ever right and impending doom seemed always to be present. A smile was a rarity!!!

Edited by Shedman5

Morning all.

I decided that my inflamed eyeball wasn't going to respond to any "over the counter" treatment so I made an appointment to see a doctor and now have a prescription for eyedrops.

Tony

I trust your hemorrhoids are under control - at least you can now see them so long as your back is still limber.... :stinker:

Seriously, I've had one eye with problems due to the cold, dry air, unpleasant (but could be worse - see above).

Best, Pete.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

My brother met his first wife at a friend's New Year party. The host was a former boyfriend of the eventual spouse. He kept putting what he described as her song on the stereo, "Cold as Ice" by Foreigner. I suspect she couldn't cope with my brother's OCD traits and that there seemed to be a history of madness in the male line which seems to died out in my father's lifetime! She just left one day without warning after moving into a new home.

Tony

Edited by Tony_S

Lol! She was one of those for whom the glass was always half empty nothing was ever right and impending doom seemed always to be present. A smile was a rarity!!!

I think we've all known people like that - I can think of a few at various stages in my life. One was a friend who became a colleague, sometimes known as Mizzy Lizzy!

I'm ashamed to say I don't ever recall the plating around the stern tube ever beng discussed in my Naval Architecture courses! I got a distinction too, so it mustn't have been in finals either!

Plating is generally the same thickness but that does present a problem where a relatively small diameter shaft needs to exit the engine room or shaft tunnel. In the big old boats (250,000 DWT or more) the single shaft had to cope with around 40,000 horsepower and was around 900mm in diameter so the stern tube inner diameter was that and the outer was around 1000mm, which was not too bad to form plates for. If you were talking multiple propellers, the shafts would be smaller and so more difficult to form plates for. The bigger the ship, the more water it draws so the more pressure the plates have to resist and on some of those I was on, we had a fully loaded draft of 90 feet!

On one occasion following a minor catastrophe, we had to have a new alternator diesel put in the engine room so, while we were in dry dock, we had a hole cut at the same level as the engine bed in the side of the engine room and the old debris was removed and a new one entered through it. The plate was replaced and then welded over from inside and out. When we flooded the drydock, I was very conscious of a possible leak but all was well.

For NHNeil - no it wasn't a Paxman and to Debs - lignum vitae! 

Ah well, Epiphany, Twelfth Night - tree and decorations down.

The tree's in the garden, the decs are stacked at the bottom of the stairs waiting to go up. But we did that last year and they were still waiting to go up when we decorated the tree three weeks ago.

While we were taking it down I said to her, "Well, 49 weeks and it'll go up again"

I made sure I was out of range when I said it.

The tree's in the garden, the decs are stacked at the bottom of the stairs waiting to go up. But we did that last year and they were still waiting to go up when we decorated the tree three weeks ago.

While we were taking it down I said to her, "Well, 49 weeks and it'll go up again"

I`m afraid that my tolerance for Christmas extended only as far as Boxing Day; for, the decorations here at Collie Towers came-down and were 'lofted' on the 26th. :D

• Like 1

I`m afraid that my tolerance for Christmas extended only as far as Boxing Day; for, the decorations here at Collie Towers came-down and were 'lofted' on the 26th. :D

We put ours up on Gaudete Sunday (third Sunday of Advent) and take them down at Epiphany. Gaudete (Rejoice) from the first word of the Introit for that day.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

At least that's what you tell us. ;)

I had to see a psychiatrist before being started on some medication as it was necessary to demonstrate lack of psycho something involvement in my condition. When at social gatherings (don't go to that many anyway) if someone is banging on about something I find that mentioning that my psychiatrist had said I was sane is an interesting subject changer

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Well the wind is a bit strong today

Don

• RMweb Gold

I had to see a psychiatrist before being started on some medication as it was necessary to demonstrate lack of psycho something involvement in my condition. When at social gatherings (don't go to that many anyway) if someone is banging on about something I find that mentioning that my psychiatrist had said I was sane is an interesting subject changer

I thought according to psychiatrists we are all a bit insane it is just a matter of degree.

Don

• RMweb Gold

I thought according to psychiatrists we are all a bit insane it is just a matter of degree.

Don

That could be true! He was wondering if I needed another session and as I was leaving asked me to tell him a joke. 

So

"A man walks into a bar, OW" seemed to do the trick!

• RMweb Gold

Just had a phone call from MiL. She kindly wanted to know if my cough/cold was improving. I said it was  but it was and I might not cough for a few hours then cough a lot. She asked if I had seen a doctor and said yes but for my eye infection. She then got to the  real reason fotr the call as she thought I ought to know about the rise in multi-drug-resistant TB and how  people were dying.Cheerful! I believe Job's Comforter is the correct term!

Edited by Tony_S

She then got to the  real reason fotr the call as she thought I pought to know about the rise in multi-drug-resistant TB and how  people were dying. Cheerful! I believe Job's Comforter is the correct term!

"It`s being so cheerful as keeps `er going!" :mosking:

Edited by Debs.
  • Like 1

Don

I understand that, statistically, 1 out of every 3 individuals has a psychiatric, psychological or behavioural disorder. As a clinical psychologist (another hat I wear) I know I'm sane and a psychiatrist has declared Tony_S as sane. So who's the one on ER that's bonkers?

Answers on a postcard....

Have a madness-free evening.

iD

Edited by iL Dottore

• RMweb Premium

Don

Psychiatrists are all a bit insane,  it is just a matter of degree, once they have one then the true personality disorders leap out. :angel:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Oh, lignum vitae indeed Gruff, but one I was on had a nylon lining in the stern tube - it was awful, as it had been ruined by an engineer that didn't understand that it was water lubricated, and the water pressure had to be established before starting the engine. He used to stop the main circ pump to control engine temperatures (totally manual engineroom - Doxford 76J6)  rather than use the by-passes as he was lazy- it leaked something terrible as a result.  I understand he was asked to leave shortly afterwards!

As for loaded draft, yes, was on a couple like that but I don't recall an exact figure. 'Lots'.  30,400bhp Burmeister and Wain, 8K98FF, or a big numb beast, delete as appropriate!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Oh yeah, while I remember......exploding alternator engines...one Ruston (governor drive failure run-away, leg out but repaired) one Wartsila (thrust bearing collapse, totalled entablature, but it came out via the skylights).  Paxmans never ran for long enough to blow up....as we spent all the time trying to get the exhaust manifolds off and on! and off and on, and......where's that curly spanner gone???? :jester:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Did she have any particular reason for wanting you to know this?

No but Aditi keeps being informed of relatives and friends who have had various bits removed or gone blind as a consequence of diabetes usually after being encouraged to clear her plate. I think she believes she is being helpful but I have seen a couple examples of rather mean behaviour over the years. 

Evening all,

Well Christmas and the New Year seems to have slipped by very quickly, I've not had time to catch up on here much for the last few days so hope everyone is safe and well.

A quick update on the Mini, I received a text a few days ago from 'our man from the paint ministry' to say it's now festooned with several coats of very fruity deep metallic purple paint. I nipped down to the workshop to have a look and start fitting it back up - the photo hardly does the colour justice but I'll give it a go, it looks a different colour in every shot I've taken of it so far...!

post-7638-0-53380900-1389040849.jpg

• Like 13