Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

My Mrs S was so pleased with the draught proofing of the garage door(her study is over the garage) that she said I must spend some time getting my trains ready for the Colchester exhibition tomorrow. As I'm only taking one loco and some boxcars that wouldn't take too long but I could of course check some alternative stock as well!

The rain does appear to have stopped!

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Unfortunately I seem to have spent the last two days just rearranging things. It looks a bit tidier but there appears to be less space than before, in spite of several trips the skip.

It doesn't help that son and D-I-L have decided that parent's house is a good place to store all the 'no longer in use but keep just in case' baby things. I though that when he moved out I would be getting more space, not less.

I think you will need to put a stop to this quickly, next to appear the toys that babies no longer play with HUGE things that take up rooms by themselves. Very tongue in cheek as MIL has abedroom full of stuff we moved out while extension was built.

You have my sympathies BoD. I went into the loft last week with a view to clearing some space to store my railway bits and pieces. First box I picked up was a swinging crib for a baby. My son is now 37 and my daughter 27. Was I allowed to take it to the dump? Stupid question really. Gave up and came downstairs....

• RMweb Gold
next to appear the toys that babies no longer play with HUGE things that take up rooms by themselves

You mean like the rocking horse that has stabled itself where the station throat and three quarters of the station should be. icon_mutter.gif

• RMweb Gold

We kept lots of toys and baby things in case Matthew wasn't an only child. I didn't think my wife was particularly sentimental about things but when she objected to my plan to use the baby bath I'd stored in the loft, to bathe the dog when he was a puppy I realised my error.

We seem to have the British child car seat collection in our loft as well as the small mammal cage collection. I don't quite remember how I got the rat cage (Matthew may want more "one day") in the loft as it seems bigger than the loft trap.

We have tried to give stuff away but it seems to be difficult. Fortunately our neighbours had the children's bikes and climbing frames for their grandchildren so the garage and garden are not as congested as the loft.

• RMweb Gold

...but is Jam enjoying the north, and did JohnDMJ enjoy Eurospoor??

...we all thought he was going to the North but he seems to be in communicado instead! (Last post Oct 23)

Aaaaahhhh..... I'm glad to hear it was a good weekend John, need we form and dispatch a search party for Jam?? unsure.gif

Don't think so! Last we heard, he was not having to cycle there behind his parent's car so the chances are that he's in safe hands!:icon_winker:

Thanks for the worry folks. but I have returned safely! Hope you all had a great week. Well, let me begin by saying... 'Wow!'

If you have never been to the Yorkshire Dales, I would strongly suggest going! The scenery is next to none and the locals are all really cheerful, not to mention the amazing walks and hikes in the area. Also, may I just thank you all for your suggestions on places to visit - they came in handy. It's a real shame we couldn't have another week (at least!) up there, we hardly had time to do half of the things we would have wanted. I'm just compiling a holiday report for you all, including the long awaited pictures that I took so watch this space...

Hope everything is well, and i'll report back in a while! I'm off to catch up on what I have missed...

• RMweb Gold

Welcome back, Jam. It sounds like you have had a good time. Some smashing photos there.

As to the loco - I'm going to take a wild guess and say that you got up as far as the Haverthwaite and Lakeside, either that or its the Furness Loco that is at Shildon.

• RMweb Gold

Correct! The NRM it is.

Had a great two hours there (would've spent more time there but SWMBO said she wouldn't want to go round York minster/shopping for more than two hours... :unsure:)

I'm afraid I didn't take many photos at all there, i'd rather have time to look at the exhibits myself. One loco there was Ellerman Lines? which was almost fully complete one side, but the other side was practically cut in half so you could see all the workings of the locomotive - even the tender. The Flying Scotsman was completely stripped of most things bar the name plates and I think the cab...

Afternoon All,

I am trying to keep a handle on things - and I have actually had a much better day today. Spent the morning changing lightbulbs and the afternoon with friends. The little guy and I also went for a bike and train ride, so it was a pretty good day.

The Marshall amp and effects pedal have arrived. It's a good job my neighbour is deaf. Last night I was mostly Eric Clapton. Well - not quite, but I was making a hell of a racket.

What sort of a Marshall, Phil? Guitar Amps and stuff in that line are one of my interests - particularly valve equipment. It usually means that I get stuff from friends to fix because I can't play myself :rolleyes:

Just a thought for Robert - I lost most of my 50s in the sort of mental torment you're in, and for much the same reason. Honestly it's not worth it. Just try and accentuate anything positive in your life - you just can't worry about things that aren't in your control. I wish I learnt that years ago.

Thanks for that Phil - I know that what you are saying makes sense, it is just hard sometimes to think in a sensible way! It probably sounds completely bizarre, but on the one side I am happy for her because I want her to be happy - but on the other side I think to myself she left me, and completely screwed me up - why should she be the one to find happiness with somebody else when I am stuck here still feeling miserable and lonely! Then I feel bad with myself for thinking that :blink:.

Love certainly has a way of screwing us up!

Sounds like you had a great holiday Jam. Particularly liked your toadstool picture - funnily enough, I took a similar one the other week when I was in the UK. It was such a typical toadstool that I half expected to see a pixie or gnome sitting on it :lol:

IMG_1319.jpeg

Had a great two hours there (would've spent more time there but SWMBO said she wouldn't want to go round York minster/shopping for more than two hours... :unsure:)

Crikey! I remember my (technically still) other half spending more than two hours in one shop. Primark to be precise - she told me to come back in two hours and I still ended up having to spend an hour hanging around. Although to be fair we didn't get to the UK that often so she was stocking up on clothes.

• RMweb Gold

Firstly Robert, I feel very saddened by your recent events, and I only hope you can pull through OK. :(

Sounds like you had a great holiday Jam. Particularly liked your toadstool picture - funnily enough, I took a similar one the other week when I was in the UK. It was such a typical toadstool that I half expected to see a pixie or gnome sitting on it :lol:

Indeed! That is a cracking toadstall, a pixie would really set off the scene. :lol:

Any other day and SWMBO would happily spend more than 2 hours shopping... :huh:

Here's a close up for you:

post-6776-12570088332035_thumb.png

Firstly Robert, I feel very saddened by your recent events, and I only hope you can pull through OK. :(

Thanks Jam - that's appreciated.

I'll be Ok, I've got this far and although the events of the past few days were a shock, I knew that there was a pretty good chance that it would happen sooner or later. It is just that when it did happen I wasn't prepared for how much it would get to me. :(

• RMweb Gold

What sort of a Marshall, Phil? Guitar Amps and stuff in that line are one of my interests - particularly valve equipment. It usually means that I get stuff from friends to fix because I can't play myself :rolleyes:

It's only a little Valvestate 40w, but boy can you make a noise with it! I got this, a Squier Strat, channel switch, Zoom effects pedal (that is fun) and all leads for under ??120 on good old ebay. Well pleased!

It's only a little Valvestate 40w, but boy can you make a noise with it! I got this, a Squier Strat, channel switch, Zoom effects pedal (that is fun) and all leads for under ??120 on good old ebay. Well pleased!

Very nice too - The ECC83 is a great valve, even if the power stage is solid state :lol:

Jim Marshall really does make some cracking amps. As Slash once said "Anything that consistent you don't **** around with!"

• RMweb Premium

It probably sounds completely bizarre, but on the one side I am happy for her because I want her to be happy - but on the other side I think to myself she left me, and completely screwed me up - why should she be the one to find happiness with somebody else when I am stuck here still feeling miserable and lonely! Then I feel bad with myself for thinking that :blink: .

Oh yes, Robert, I know this kind of thinking as well - though again this can just as well apply to many more topics. I also have several such things where, whenever I drift into absurd thinking mode, I chastise myself internally and feel bad for having thought such absurdities in the first place - then often wondering just what the H was the matter with me that I started it in the first place :mellow: .

Anyway, we did a nice round trip today - by train from Frankfurt to Friedberg (RE service to Treysa and Dillenburg operated by class 425 EMUs), then over to Nidda on a HLB class 646 DMU, to Gelnhausen on another HLB 646 and finally back to Frankfurt on a RE service consisting of double deck stock and with a 146 up front B) . I actually had never travelled the lines to Nidda (Friedberg-M??cke Railway and Beienheim-Schotten Railway or routes 3740 and 3741) and Gelnhausen (Lahn-Kinzig Railway or route 3701) before, and holy cr*p - way out in the countryside it was, yet so relatively close to Frankfurt.

01-hlb_509_105_311009_p2zf.jpg

HLB DMU 509 105 - a Stadler GTW 2/6, also known as class 646 - standing by at Friedberg as service 83818 to Nidda...

03-146_121_311009_ffs_8w1o.jpg

... and DB Regio engine 146 121 at Frankfurt Southern Station, a few minutes after arriving as RE 4523 from Fulda. Due to construction work at Offenbach and Schl??chtern the RE services on that line were shortened to Frankfurt Southern rather than continuing to Frankfurt Central - the RB services to W?¤chtersbach still serving the latter, however.

Morning All,

Nice pics there Dominik - I am always amazed how quickly you are out of Frankfurt and into the countryside. In many ways it is like the American cities where you pass a "City Limits" sign and that's it.

Bit of a grey day this morning - matches my mood to a certain extent, but I am trying hard not to think about it.

Have a good day everyone :icon_wave:

• RMweb Premium

Morning ;) .

Our plan for today is for yet another trip, but I won't reveal where to just yet :lol: . Think it'll do me well, though, as I am trying not to think too hard about the exams I'll be having by the end of the month :unsure: . You know the feeling of asking yourself, "have I thought of everything I need to think of?" and "will I be sufficiently prepared and in good shape then?" weeks in advance? Makes me quite nervous, I have to say... :(

Nice pics there Dominik - I am always amazed how quickly you are out of Frankfurt and into the countryside. In many ways it is like the American cities where you pass a "City Limits" sign and that's it.

As for your statement - true, though it does depend on the direction when thinking about the Frankfurt area. To the north there certainly is a rather abrupt change as soon as you get to Friedberg, but less so to the west (considering the Mainz/Wiesbaden area) and east (Hanau and Offenbach) and also to the south (with Darmstadt being the major centre there), if you ask me. However, once you travel up the Rhine, the Kinzig Valley or beyond Darmstadt it is muich the same thing.

Good Morning one and all

Robert i hope you can pick yourself up, i know what is like to suffer from depression and it aint fun. Best of luck bud.

I'm contemplating getting up and ready, i'm being picked up in about an hour to go to the merseyside show.

i'm helping a friend operate Teign House Sidings, should be good as i've never even seen this layout in the flesh before let alone had a play.

Anyway enough of a ramble take care everyone and enjoy the rest of the weekend.

Morning all, and Happy November!

Robert:I too hope that you can pick yourself up; I was taking Seroxat myself a few years ago, about the time when the BBC were gunning for GSK for misleading test results on the same drug! All the TV broadcasts made me feel even worse. However, time and activity can often be a great healer, or, at least, helper; activity both alone and social should certainly help!

Meanwhile, the oktas here are not so much leaking as emitting a raging torrent judging from the noise on the windows! Thermometer reckons its 13C outside, though. Suppose I'd better replace the bedside light which packed up earlier in the week, then as gardening's out of the question - I can't find the diving gear :lol:

• RMweb Premium

Morning all woken several times by the rain on the windows. One of the cats has been out all night the other is sat by the door plaitting his legs and looking at the water.Shame it didn't come a few hours earlier'