RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

It's a game where all the participants pick X number of famous people they think will die in the next year. Rules vary, the one i'm in you pick 20 people and rank them from 20 down to 1, you get 20 poinst when your person 20 dies and 1 point when your person 1 dies. In another variant you subtract the person's age from 100 and get that number of points. Person with most points at the end of the year wins.

I just found out she has a tumor on the brain, shame really. I do remember she had fine legs as opposed to most Hollywood women who have scrawny legs.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

In all the years I've lived here I've only ever seen one person "from the telly" in our Tesco (or any other supermarket). I'm not too good at "celeb" culture and I wouldn't be any good at choosing people for a dead pool as I am often surprised to find someone appearing at the Cliffs Pavilion in Southend was someone I thought had died years ago anyway.

We've got loads of 'em round here - you sort of look and think 'I know him/her, where have I seen that face before?'  Sir John Hunt was a really nice bloke - I used to sell him tickets when I was relief in the local booking office many years ago - always very pleasant and polite;  Phillip Schofield and family were in the same restaurant as us one evening some months back; Paxo was having a drink in a pub we went to one evening last year; I saw Marsha Fitzalan in Waitrose a couple of months ago, Simon Williams is often about the town - another really nice bloke.

Oh and of course Dusty Springfield is buried here.  Rodney Bewes (of 'The Likely Lads') can occasionally be seen around but has difficulty standing up in the late evenings if you get my drift, and many years ago I went out with a girl whose mother wrote the problem page in one of the women's magazines, her other daughter was a junkie.

She certainly had problems.....

We had footballers in Shenfield. Bobby Moore, Trevor Brooking, Jimmy Greaves. I think Brooking still lives there. My Mum used to converse with some burly, bald headed bloke from EastEnders - who was surprising decent to her, checking she was OK after my Dad died. Can't remember names but he was on TV over here recently arguing the toss with a group of armed guerilla's in some jungle somewhere - which is not something I'd do, frankly.

Best, Pete.

Edit: Ross Kemp.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

'the gorgeous Debbie McGee'

magician Paul Daniels

Mike,

I am really sorry but the time I never thought I would see has in fact arrived. I have to disagree with you (please imagine a shocked looking emocion as they are not working for me)

She's not gorgeous and he's no magician.

You'll like this, not a lot!!!!

Have a good day all.

Having a bit of a crisis.  I've run out of Brains and couldn't find any in Sainsbury's this morning.  What am I going to drink in front of the Six Nations tomorrow afternoon?  Last week I successively (and successfully) drank Brains, 1664 and Guinness.  Off to trawl the local Offies.  Otherwise I may need your suggestions.

Bill

• RMweb Gold

Having a bit of a crisis.  I've run out of Brains and couldn't find any in Sainsbury's this morning.  What am I going to drink in front of the Six Nations tomorrow afternoon?  Last week I successively (and successfully) drank Brains, 1664 and Guinness.  Off to trawl the local Offies.  Otherwise I may need your suggestions.

Bill

Try Tesco. They sell Brains.

Happy Hippo,

Daily evacuation is provided by a potion lovingly referred to as "poison" by it's recipients when "served" in liquid form at breakfast.

It does not require any physical assistance by the staff.

BoD, Please keep us informed of Mrs BoD's progress.

Afternoon all,

Early morning taxi service from So'ton docks to home. Apparently the FredO "Boudicca" isn't quite up to the same standard as other ships in their fleet, if any of you are thinking of going down the cruising route. 

Tales of cruising on the high seas in full flow now. Sadly the person who was airlifted off a couple of days ago didn't make it. 

Anyway, the early morning good deed earnt me a couple of beers (fff Moondance) for my trouble. So now comfortably mellow for an afternoon of paperwork :)

Best, Andy

• RMweb Gold

Bill

Aldi also sell Brains SA

• RMweb Gold

Sadly the person who was airlifted off a couple of days ago didn't make it. 

Like the chap who collapsed and died on my flight back from Malta nearly 40 years ago. Let's think that at least they went out after having a nice time.

• RMweb Premium

I can remember faces but not names..... so when I meet someone who is a "famous personality" I tend to talk to them like I would to anyone else...Waiting for  my flight home to Leeds one morning at heathrow (having arrived from the Far East at some ungodly hour of the day) I spied a short rotundish sort of guy with dark hair carrying a big suit bag who had just arrived from Edinburgh - I, as usual thought "who is that? - I know him"... my stare was enough to stop him in his tracks before we walked on...

Once airborne I was perusing my free newspaper and there was the answer - Wee Gordon Brown.....

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Famous people in Lancaster - one struggles - Paul Hayes the antiques "expert" is about the only one I can think of now.  I don't know if the actress who plays Tracy Barlow in Corrie is still local or not - though of course famous ex Lancastrians are a bit easier - Eric Morecambe, Thora Hird, and Victoria Wood. 

Weather here's pretty odd today, we've had rain, cloud, rain, rain, cloud, hail, rain, sun and it's only half past two.

Dinner duty again, and all the talk of roast chicken has prompted me to get that on the go - with mashed spuds, a nice pot of mixed greens, and some sausage meat sage & onion and vegetable stuffing.  Of course today's roast chicken is tomorrow's Korma, and all the ingredients are waiting....

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 1

...Have a great Friday...for me fish and chips for tea beckon...yummy!...

That's IT - now I'm really mad, first, you folks talk of sausages, then there's the bacon discussion, NOW, Barry caps it all with fish and chips <ggrrrr> WHEN WILL YOU ALL STOP TORTURING ME!!! :nono:

These are all things I'd love to have and then discuss, but sadly, they are three items that I've yet to find in all the years I've lived here, done in any way CLOSE to the way they are at home <sigh> Have an extra helping for me Barry! Thankfully, there are several really good Indian restaurants in town, otherwise I'd be in real trouble :danced:

On with the weather - Friday (yay) it's -22 right now and again bright sun and clear, you'd think you were in the islands if it weren't for the huge piles of snow everywhere...

Looking forward to the weekend modelling - so long as the house doesn't throw another wobbly - and will also have our daughter home for the weekend, that'll be nice :)

I'm with Tony - wanting to have bits or track all over the place, a liberal helping of wire, solder and burnt fingers also thrown in here :O oh, and Bob refuses to stop walking all over the right-of-way - silly sod!

post-20244-0-65388500-1391785920.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Scarily it's been sunny (with Simpson clouds) all day, not used to this.  Deluge is back tomorrow though.

Sir Norman Wisdom used to live around the corner from us, his driving was legendary in the village......as in legendarily bad.  Jack Dibnah I have mentioned before as a friend, there are quite a few other relatively famous people around here, the tax advantages natural beauty of the island attracts such people. :angel:  Rick Wakeman used to live here and had a little music shop in Peel, but I think he left some time ago too.  As for Andy Kershaw...... :O

Who's Debbie McGee?

That and Gordons comment about traffic confirm why I left Blighty. If on tour i'd always try and get home on Friday afternoons - just to put up with the parking lot known as the M25.

Life's too short and England too crowded.

Best, Pete.

Pete,

I left before they finished it (M25), but growing up in Weybridge, have been plagued with using it ever since, having to arrive at either Gatwick or Heathrow and travel the M25 to almost everyone I know and love in the UK. I'm very thankful for being pre-M25 as i still know and remember the old routes and often take them rather than incur the wrath of said parking lot!

Edited by Ian Abel

Well, as said in prior post, I grew up in Weybridge (not landed gentry though...) in the 50's and 60's so saw a fair share of "celebrities"...

Used to deliver papers to Charlie Drake (Charles Drake, Weybridge) and Bernard Cribbins...

Later dated a girl who lived in St. Georges Hills (very posh estate, now gated), and frequently ran into Englebert Humperdink as he was looking for his dalmation who always ran away, and the gf had two dalmations we walked all the time, so he'd pull over in his Rolls (out looking for the stray!) and chat with us almost daily!

Met Ringo and John Lennon, who both lived up there, Ringo often also walking a dog or hanging around in his garden that backed onto the golf course where we walked the dogs, and he'd callout and chat, nice bloke.

John Lennon was often in the shops in Weybridge, and the psychodelic Rolls was his chariot of choice, folks didn't bother him just let him go about his business.

Funny, but I can't image many folks that famous trolling down to the shops and walking around buying bacon in Tescos today, maybe I'm wrong, but seems they'd get mobbed and not a moment of peace. People back then seemed less "crazy" in the presence of celebrities IMHO...

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Mike,

I am really sorry but the time I never thought I would see has in fact arrived. I have to disagree with you (please imagine a shocked looking emocion as they are not working for me)

She's not gorgeous and he's no magician.

You'll like this, not a lot!!!!

Have a good day all.

A quote Colin, a quote - that is how he describes her (I've seen her at relatively close quarters but will withhold my views on her appearance as it might not do RMweb's finances much good ;) ).

• Like 1