The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Just got back from the post op clinic:  The replacement lens has bedded in very well and I've been told that the op for the left cataract removal should be within four weeks!

On the way out I was given a box of drops so that I can get my eye dilated prior to arrival which apparently speeds up process by lessening the waiting time.

I suggested that giving me a scalpel and the lens as well, would mean I could get it done myself this afternoon, but the medical staff were not that trusting of my surgical skill set.

Snow was setting in at Telford as we left for home, although we are now looking at some blue sky through the thinning clouds.

Wait..............................  Sun's out!

This afternoon I shall mainly be re-wheeling 16 ton mineral wagons (in 4mm scale not 1:1 scale versions!).

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning - just.

Busy with stats for the inspection blokie, getting dizzy now trying to work out what he's doing. 

Immediate boss warned of emerging plans, with a look of 'oh no, not you too....' in return.  An interesting conversation was had regarding my value to the future of the team.  Time will tell regarding the outcome but I'm not going to be messed about by the squabbling funding partners, if they get their act in order my future is more than secure, but......

Snow here today on the mountain road, couple of inches in places, it's a wonder it wasn't closed as that is what usually happens. However it is pleasantly sunny now if a little chilly around the nether regions, you could be fooled looking out of the window, but stepping out reveals the truth!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning, back from check up at the dentists (yep the one Id be happy to spend six months on a desert island with ) and nothing needed which is good news when judging with the sensible hat on.

Weather  cold and grey (again) no rain though.

Layout in the shed with the fire on after lunch  well that is my plan unless instructions are given over lunch.

Enjoy whatever your doing!

• RMweb Gold

Funnily enough, only last night I saw a police force (Cheshire) selling expensive camera gear on ebay. No, it wasn't because a surveillance unit had folded, but was items seized and being sold for the public good. No guarantee on condition of course, but the items were modern, very desirable & worth £4k+ if new.

• RMweb Premium

Window cleaners have been (in the rain/sleet)

Barbers full so will have to go back later - seems to be cheering up now...

Station Cat , about this Ark.. no problem I know a bunch of lads who can knock one up toute suite....... for a price...

Off for lunch as I have done my work today...

Stay warm/dry/cool/ etc depending on your location

Barry O

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

G-day all,

Not a nice start as laddo wanted his car remarshalled so got me out of bed at some atrocious hour, then back only to finally emerge with some of his cold symptoms hammering me.  But at least the rain is forecast to stop this afternoon - for a few hours.  One final comment on retirement - my plan was to go, subject to certain capital schemes finishing on time, around my 56th birthday on full redundancy and on 100% pension; as you all know that was not to be which does suggest it's sometimes no bad thing to grab the chance when it offers.  And if you're so important to the team Neil you are clearly worth more money as an incentive to stay there - always worth a try, I even managed that one on BR!

Thanks for the thoughts re flood impact - as her Doctorship as explained the country would be in really serious trouble if the water reached our threshold as we are 2 contour lines above the river and the flood warning area (which is based on the 1947 level by the look of the EA maps).  The Tames Valley is a very different situation from the Somerset Levels as there a managed drainage area has simply not been managed since the Environment Agency took over responsibility for managing it - although by now the flooding would obviously be worse than normal in the area, but not as bad as it is.

In the Thames Valley things are rather different as the flood plain has always served as part of dealing with and regulating the flooding - that's why it's called a flood plain.  I'm getting slightly fed up with tv interviewees saying things like I've lived here for X years and never seen it this bad because I've lived here, off & on, for over 60 years and haveseen it worse.  In that respect my view is like Pete's - spring floods used to be regular, it's just that it hasn't happened for years.  And the water has to go somewhere - if it meets the sea coming the other way, which it eventually will, there will always be flooding somewhere.  Easy to forget how nature works when you've passed through a long spell of drier winters, and as yet the Thames in many places is nowhere near its 50 year flood level let alone the 100 year level.  Perhaps no help to those who are flooded, and the Maidenhead Relief Channel has obviously caused problems downstream as well - which is down to bad planning and lack of research.  But simple message - if you live on a natural flood plain you are likely to be flooded sooner or later and should plan and build accordingly and not trust to luck, hence the number of Edwardian Thameside houses built on arches with floors well above ground level.

Rant over - must be the weather causing all these rants.  Have a good day and I hope you keep your feet dry.

• Like 1

Morning folks!  

Guess what?  It's raining wet stuff!  I'm thinking of applying to become an honorary duck! 

I'm lucky I suppose in that I've been a lifelong cyclist and walker, and never smoked, so I find myself still able to do pretty much whatever I want.  As my doc said on a recent annual MOT, "Hmmm, you're not one of our frequent flyers are you.....................?"

When I lived in Tenbury Wells it flooded for the first time in over 60 years, following the installation of new flood defences at Ludlow, upstream, and it has continued to do so most years since.  I do wonder if those below the Thames Barrier will suffer the same fate?

Peter, I'm really sorry but I mis-read the last word of the first line of this :O

Ed

They are talking about cyber-bullying on the wireless. I'm glad to say I don't get involved in Facebook/Twitter.  My son did get badly hurt when he did a blog as a student Paramedic.

It is easy to see how upsetting it can be. Even on here, which must be one of the friendliest places, people take (and give) offence-sometimes deliberately, sometimes not.

I've been guilty of both. It's easy to forget that people on the web are not real friends, you haven't met them (with several honourable exceptions on RMWeb), and that tone of voice can't be heard on the web-it may be in the writer's mind but not the reader's.

Ed

• RMweb Premium

That's the word my boss used this morning Ed, when I said I might leave.....

Arkmaster, I actually have a stalled re-grading appeal lodged currently, I'm biding my time with that one as there may be future actions to be taken in that regard.  As in grievance... :triniti:

Still sunny here, despite howling gales forecast.

Afternoon all, the lashings of rain and wind have turned, temporarily to bright sunshine. 

Spent some time doing reading practice with my youngest earlier. I'm sure I'll get the hang of it one day. :)

Picked up an interesting book called "Through Limestone Hills; the peak line - Ambergale to Chinley" today.

Once the garage is sorted I'm interested in modelling the section around Cromford station, but making a similar assumption to the chap who is doing Miller's Dale that it had double track well into the 80s. This book is excellent. 

Hang in their, Neil. Been there myself can be quite an emotional time.

Andy 

• Like 2

G-day all,

Not a nice start as laddo wanted his car remarshalled so got me out of bed at some atrocious hour, then back only to finally emerge with some of his cold symptoms hammering me.  But at least the rain is forecast to stop this afternoon - for a few hours.  One final comment on retirement - my plan was to go, subject to certain capital schemes finishing on time, around my 56th birthday on full redundancy and on 100% pension; as you all know that was not to be which does suggest it's sometimes no bad thing to grab the chance when it offers.  And if you're so important to the team Neil you are clearly worth more money as an incentive to stay there - always worth a try, I even managed that one on BR!

Thanks for the thoughts re flood impact - as her Doctorship as explained the country would be in really serious trouble if the water reached our threshold as we are 2 contour lines above the river and the flood warning area (which is based on the 1947 level by the look of the EA maps).  The Tames Valley is a very different situation from the Somerset Levels as there a managed drainage area has simply not been managed since the Environment Agency took over responsibility for managing it - although by now the flooding would obviously be worse than normal in the area, but not as bad as it is.

In the Thames Valley things are rather different as the flood plain has always served as part of dealing with and regulating the flooding - that's why it's called a flood plain.  I'm getting slightly fed up with tv interviewees saying things like I've lived here for X years and never seen it this bad because I've lived here, off & on, for over 60 years and haveseen it worse.  In that respect my view is like Pete's - spring floods used to be regular, it's just that it hasn't happened for years.  And the water has to go somewhere - if it meets the sea coming the other way, which it eventually will, there will always be flooding somewhere.  Easy to forget how nature works when you've passed through a long spell of drier winters, and as yet the Thames in many places is nowhere near its 50 year flood level let alone the 100 year level.  Perhaps no help to those who are flooded, and the Maidenhead Relief Channel has obviously caused problems downstream as well - which is down to bad planning and lack of research.  But simple message - if you live on a natural flood plain you are likely to be flooded sooner or later and should plan and build accordingly and not trust to luck, hence the number of Edwardian Thameside houses built on arches with floors well above ground level.

Rant over - must be the weather causing all these rants.  Have a good day and I hope you keep your feet dry.

It isn't that high anyway. I went down for a look earlier and it's not reached the 2003 mark never mind the really high ones. I didn't bother taking photos because it's in more or less the same place as it was few weeks ago when we went down with cameras - and I assume the stationmaster posted his pictures then.

Unfortunately instructions aren't in any language any more. They all use the IKEA-style of wordless cartoons that I, for one, can't understand. :scratchhead:

Amazing, isn't it?

Mankind has taken thousands of years to perfect communication, and is now reverting to cave paintings...

pic03114.jpg

• Like 1

Morning... -23 here with a wind chill of -30!

I'm still convinced I prefer this weather to all the flooding - and worry for my original home town Weybridge. The Thames weir at Shepperton (right across from Weybridge when you follow Thames Street out of town) has in the past been "level" and doesn't bode well for anyone close to the river. The estate Messrs. Drake and Cribbins lived on was pretty much surrounded by the river Wey and routinely flooded at low levels on average years, so heaven help them right now!

Going to be -1C (28F), apparently by Thursday, and could manage 0C OR HIGHER (woo hoo, yippee skipee) by Saturday and Sunday, expecting light snow tonight and later in the week as a result of the moisture that usually accompanies warmer air...

Took the plunge yesterday and started my layout thread - thought I better do more on here than just wobble on with you lot :) :senile:

My thoughts continue to be with all of you suffering from conditions needing an Ark - stay warm, dry and safe, please :friends:

Edited by Ian Abel

Just spoke to my local, friendly Cop. He suggests we're going to get between 12 - 18 inches of snow from Wednesday night thru Friday evening - consider we already have  over 9 inches on the ground already means I'm a little concerned...

This will be the biggest storm of the season, potentially. It depends on the track of the system up the East Coast and when it takes a turn out into the Atlantic (and strengthens).

Either way it does not bode well for us or the UK early next week.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Well then, as we're all in rant mode today, I'll join in if I may.  To help the cash flow, I decided to change the Direct Debit date on my mortgage payments, and it took 15 minutes to get to an advisor who could help - then it took a further ten minutes in hold while she wrestled with her computer to carry out this massively difficult task.  Eventually done, and today I got six letters all addressed to us both, and in separate envelopes!   Also realised today that we have not had our annual statements, so back on the phone, another 15 minute wait, an age to find that they were showing as generated, but not sent - so the advisor said he'd send them out, and when I commented about the last letters coming en masse, he said that as he was generating the statements manually, the same thing would happen again - well it keeps the postie occupied. 

I also was tasked to try to find out why the washing machine was not returning lovely clean smelling washing, and why the fabric conditioner container was not emptying.  Took the drawer out and gave it a thorough clean - both the drawer and its housing in the machine were horrible - tried a rinse cycle, and no joy - still no softener - so I then checked upwards and found that there was a tiny hole above the softener container, which was gunged up, and a paper clip cleared it - now ok, but that hole was so small that it took quite a bit to work things out that this was where the water for the rinse came from.  On the question of domestic appliances I also found that the door seals on the fridge and freezer were torn, so it is frosting up in the freezer.  I called the service people, and it transpires that it will need two new doors, as the seals are part of the door, and not a separate item which can be fitted.  Not a job that I can tackle, and anyway, I've got a contract which is going to pay for itself this year for sure.

And on a final note about arks, does anybody remember a brilliant biblical spoof back in the 1970s by Keith Waterhouse where Noah was having all sorts of problems with building his ark, due to supply problems, and labour difficulties - one of the classic lines was when Noah explained that there was a problem with the supply of gopher wood, and the Lord sayeth unto Noah "Scubbeth thou round the gopher wood" - brilliant.  Edit 2 - the piece is called "How Long, Oh Lord" and a version of it complete with all its barbed observations can be found here http://omf.blogspot.co.uk/2007/05/how-long-o-lord.html

Oh yes, and it's snowing here at the moment - lovely.*

Regards to All

Stewart

* = edit -it's stopped.

Edited by 45156

• RMweb Premium

Snow stopped here too, the mountain road remained open for our drive home which is always a bonus.  As usual a local had parked upside down though. #sigh#  Half an inch of slush....

Gales and torrential rain guessed forecast for tonight and tomorrow, the wheelie bin (bin day tomorrow - they come at 05.30 for some reason) will be half way to Ramsey in the morning no doubt.

More logs on the fire I think.

• RMweb Gold

Oh, it appears I am sub normal - I can follow IKEA instructions easily!  Maybe it's the engineering logic?

I don't seem to have any difficulty assembling IKEA products but I usually improve them with a little extra PVA on wood to wood bits.

I think the greatest help with flat pack is having Li-ion battery powered screwdrivers.