RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Morning gentles all!

Eerily dry and sunny this morn with just a lightish wind, just like yesterday's rainstorm hadn't happened at all.

Got a new (at least to me) phishing scam this morning in the form of an Amazon email inviting me to 'check the status of my order'.  As normal with these things there was no personal named heading, as would be usual, but apart from that it did look surprisingly right.  I don't usually use Amazon, except sometimes for non-book purchases, and it came in to a different email account anyway.

But, of course, for those regular Amazonians who perhaps use one email for everything it's another one to be wary of.

Morning all. Dull and wet here. The swine moat seems to have finally drained though.

No sign of NHN this morning. Hope that Fraggle Rock hasn't blown into Cumbria.

Hovercraft? Once and only once. My teeth were vibrating for days afterwards. Never been a fan of sea travel. Worst ferry trip ever was between Tsawwassen-Swartz Bay. Christmas eve 1983. First and last crossing of the day. Last crossing for 2 days to be exact. Squalls and high waves tossed the boat around. Loud crash heard from the car deck and truck drivers scrambling down the stairs in a panic. Load shifted on one and crushed 3 cars. Took them several days to clear out the mess. Last time I saw that many green faces was at a Star Trek convention.

Have a good one, take care and stay dry.

edit: Cross post. Good to see that Neil hasn't ended up in Oz.

Edited by AndrewC
  • Like 7

Calm between the storms here; even a brief period of respite is welcome!

Regular ER may recall that our front wall was demolished by a drunken driver just before Christmas. I'm pleased to tell you that today work has begun on its repair. Luckily, it's covered by insurance and we have a fine day in prospect.

Hope any damage suffered by folk in the path of the gales was minimal and you have a better day.

• Like 3

Morning all.  A bright start to the day here. Walked the children to school and thought how lucky we are. Muddy, but snow drops are popping up in the meadow. 

Off to Southern Manufacturing later then a late evening planning session for the school science club. The session is on earthquakes, so we're making trays of jelly, and using cocktail sticks and marshmallows to find good designs for structures and bad designs. 

Have a nice day everyone and hope those that suffered in the storm get some sleep! 

Andy

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Can't see much damage but one of the double glazing units has spat out one of the glass side bars....  will try and repair that today while its i sunny(! yes the sun is shining on this part of Yorkshire at the moment)

As is usual slept like a log - despite the wind - and before you even go there Debs I did not eat sprouts/baked beans or anything else like that last night..

Lots to do today so will call back later..

TTFN

• Like 3

Funny how Staines has gone up market.  In my day Staines was in Middlesex.  Now it's called Staines upon Thames and is in Surrey.  Very posh...

Slough must be dead jealous..:-)

Looking at the news, perhaps it should be Staines in the Thames or Staines under the Thames...

A Stain upon the landscape?

Staines upon Map?

Edited by station cat
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Morning, what a night, luckily no trees down by us but 500 yards down road two large ash trees down, my son was stuck on a train just outside the station for 2hours and 37 mins, the station itself was chaos with nothing going north and nothing going south due to weather which was presumably the cause for the signal failure which also had occurred. Apparently there were 9 trains in a que waiting to get in to the station.

Eventually he got home safe after Dad had dodged a couple of branches in the lane not forgetting the wheelie bin which flew past at a rate of knots to pick him up.

Seems very quiet here now the wind has died down and no rain at the moment, indeed one might catch up on some sleep today cos there wasn't a lot last night!

Enjoy the day

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Quite bright and sunny at pleasant on our day of respite, 'normal' weather promised for tomorrow.  Off to Reading shopping later so it will be interesting to see if the floods there have receded too - no doubt if they have they'll be back in a couple of days time.  Former work colleague is driving up from Cornwall tomorrow so I hope his journey isn't too perilous especially as he's in a van, mind you he's also bringing up a package for me - more toys!

Havea  good day one and all and may things improve for all of youy in peril, without power, or threatened by flooding etc.

• RMweb Premium

Just a quick update over a comfort coffee.

One of those without electricity in Wales yesterday afternoon through til 4 o'clock this morning and, no, it wasn't me that noted the power on time.... :lazy:   :mosking:

Please to report everything's ok - camping stove worked a treat, plenty of candles (Christmas presents over the years), the freezer didn't defrost, and it was a good excuse to eat up the Chocolate Money left over from this Christmas.

Will catch up over lunch.

Take care all, especially if you have to batten down the hatches.

Polly

Edit typo

Edited by southern42

• RMweb Gold

Just spent a therapeutic 20 mins with a result! My layout is an adaptation of a plan posted on the old RMweb site by Hugh Flynn,I have lost my file of the track plan so I started to trawl through all 34 pages of layout designs and eventually bingo!!

Having taken a image I can now post for advice/help on signals which I will do shortly.

I have to be honest I had forgotten it was still accessible, hmm  that would have saved about 8 hours of computer searches on this one/old one and numerous usb sticks doh!

Coffee and biscuit to celebrate!!

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all, wind and rain last night and frosty this morning.  Survived the training course and passed the assessment!  Not so well understanding how to record absence due to taking wife to fracture clinic don't seem to have the right drop down menu. One more get up and that is the holidays. 

• RMweb Premium

Funny how Staines has gone up market.  In my day Staines was in Middlesex.  Now it's called Staines upon Thames and is in Surrey.  Very posh...

Slough must be dead jealous..:-)

Hope you're not having go at my home county of Middlesex, Gordon.  :no: :no: :no: :no:

And forget that "Greater London" bit....  I AM NOT A NUMBER LONDONER... :no: :no: :no:

What lack of electricity supply and Internet service does to you.... :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

We went to the Hook from Sheerness once in the mid 70s. Dad's Austin 1100 made it from Leigh-on-Sea to the other side of the Dartford tunnel before breaking down. Nevertheless we made it to the ferry (just) and then across to Duisburg. I remember that it as being quite pleasant having breakfast as the sun rose and the ferry made it's way past various islands towards the port. Venlo was quite an eye opener. Lots of "ladies" sitting in windows with mum ushering me away. :O  

Your last sentence reminds me of a visit to Amsterdam when our son was 11. Having explored quite a respectable part of the city, we turned a corner to be confronted with shop windows where similarly lingerie clad  "ladies" were posing.

Our son said, "Mum, what are they doing?"

"Selling their wares!" I replied.

"Do you mean their underwear?" he wanted to know.

Such innocence!

• Like 2

Afternoon all,

A sunny and dry day here. Plenty of water lying in the fields though. 

Spent the day at "Southern Manufacturing" in Farnborough. Apparently they had to evacuate the exhibition centre yesterday when part of the roof blew off. Spoke to one exhibitor from

Warrington who said it took 9 1/2 hours to get home. Not sure if I cheered him up by saying I'd driven through Warrington last summer and taken about  1 1/2 to do the High Street when the M6 was shut.

My Sweet Pea seedlings are now about 8 inches tall and need repotting. Wondering if they will get eaten by mice if they are moved to the greenhouse. Any thoughts from the gardeners amongst you?

Best, Andy  

Edit: Sherry, glad it wasn't just me!  :O

Edited by AndyB
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all. Rainy outside, relieved inside that it's just one more day till the holidays!

For a bit of trivia: The upcoming holidays are called "winter holidays" and do not exist in all German states. Likewise, not all states have Whitsun holidays, which are predominantly a matter of those states with a Roman Catholic plurality - such as Bavaria.

Morning, -2 here and cloudy/overcast, hoped to see a post from pete and find out how they are "really" faring on the east coast (rather than rely on the so called "news" outlets, easier described here as hype-central!!)

Corvettes - unfortunate, but "covered by insurance". Saw this little item yesterday in the news here, quite a ripple to the automotive nuts...

I was a Corvette "nut" for years back in the 80's and owned a '64 327/365hp "rare" factory side-pipe eqipped beastie - supposedly they didn't ship a factory side-pipe version in '64, but at the largest 'Vette show in the mid-west Zora Duntov (father of the 'Vette) confirmed they built a few as precursors to '65 shipping them, and mine appeared to be one of the few... despite that, had to sell it to raise kids by the mid 90's <sigh>. Never was much of a fan of the newer ones beyond the mid 70s models, oh well.

New and different email scams - got a first myself yesterday, from a funeral home, "saddened by the lose of my close friend, click here for details/arrangements...". Odd that the email contained the date for the service, details of which were enclosed, stated as Saturday 9th. Feburary - pity they failed to send the "details" until 4 days later and got the day/date combination wrong! Can't give them better than a C- for that attempt I"m afraid... :)

Ran out of "suitcase" connectors (oh no, ducking for those that will admonish me for NOT soldering the droppers directly to the bus wires - to bad, my layout, blah blah) so stopped in yesterday evening to the local electronics (and other stuff) salvage store - stocked up with a sh!@#t load more, brilliant to pay 10cents a piece for them instead of almosts 5 times the price at the hardware/automotive retailers - all new stuff, just bulk from "somewhere" - I spend WAY too much time browsing in there, too much junk I wouldn't use but looks neat to have!!!

All you folks missing garden "parts", hope you recover your fences, roofs and anything else, but stay safe too... we count you as you leave and want the same number to return!