RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all! Been to a pet/home/garden exhibition this a.m. and was glad when we were back at home as it was terribly crowded... The animals they had were adorable, though!

Hope those of you which have been affected by that recent bad weather spell have made it through all right. What I've seen on the news didn't look like fun at all... :O

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all! Been to a pet/home/garden exhibition this a.m. and was glad when we were back at home as it was terribly crowded... The animals they had were adorable, though!

I keep winding Aditi by saying I want a degu colony. I wouldn't really buy any but they are interesting little rodents.

'ello all, -4 heading for +4 again today...

Managed to lose most of the snow from the roof of the house yesterday, and starting to see driveway and paths, today should add substantially to that - YAY.

Bad news is we're getting between 6-11 inches of snow tomorrow - this is purported to be of the "heavy wet" variety, thank goodness I have a service that plows/shovels our driveway etc. now.

I'll be staying in for sure tomorrow as they predict the majority of the snow will arrive between about 10AM and 6PM, sure going to B!@$#gg!@$#er up the afternoon commuters  :(

Have a good day everyone...

Edited by Ian Abel

Aditi didn't use her college laptop as it was very underpowered and it was quicker to walk to a desktop PC. She has VPN access to college from her home PC. Does your licence actually require a true physical connection? (only curious out of some residual geekiness!)

Yes - I have to shove a wire from it into the wall. It's so b****y annoying at times

How did you manage to keep a straight face?

I didn't need to as some of the other children overheard and burst out laughing with me! Poor girl was mortified!

It's all material for the book I will never write!!

I remember some of the high speed trips from Victoria Coach Station to Digbeth on the Midland Red motorway coaches.

Tony

Me too! From 1968-1971, I regularly travelled home to Surrey and back using those! On one occasion, we broke down on the return trip on the M1 and were delayed for ages awaiting a replacement bus! Happy days as an impoverished student!

• RMweb Premium

back from my trip to Dull and Grimsby/Cleethorpes. Managed a walk along the prom in Clee in the sunshine... fantastic lunch - haddock chips and mushy peas for me and eldest Herbert - the rest managed Skate wing, chips and peas...

Herbert then demolished spotted dick and custard... these PhD students know how to eat!

Needs to catch up on my other emails so TTFN!

Evening All,

Not too much to report from Schloss iD, apart from one day of rain and high winds last week, over the past weeks the weather has varied from the merely overcast to beautiful balmy sunshine, it's been practically spring like. I dread the arrival of March, as I suspect the delayed winter weather will arrive with all the crushing force of a sex-crazed hippo on acid.

CAMDEN LOCK is proceeding apace and by the end of the month I should be cutting plastic.

I am glad to read that assorted animal patients are recovering. Back at Schloss iD the hairy monster is getting a bit uppity. This morning on his walk I was sitting on a bench with him (trying to teach him to be patient...HAH!) when he decided I was making him wait too long for his ball and decided to tell me off! That mutt's got a mouth on him (if he were a sprog it'd be "go wash your mouth out with soap" time).

Ah, the joys of animal ownership.... And now, alas, I must away and prepare the canine comestibles for crepuscular consumption. Have a good one..

iD

Edited by iL Dottore

• RMweb Gold

I have just returned from the opticians and everything is still rather blurry but apparently my retinas are healthy and pretty good for a person of my age! I'll be able to download all the scans this evening.  I'm rather pleased that my eye problems seem to be confined to the outside of the eyeballs!

Tony

• RMweb Gold

. Back at Schloss iD the hairy monster is getting a bit uppity. This morning on his walk I was sitting on a bench with him (trying to teach him to be patient...HAH!) when he decided I was making him wait too long for his ball and decided to tell me off! That mutt's got a mouth on him (if he were a sprog it'd be "go wash your mouth out with soap" time).

Ah, the joys of animal ownership.... And now, alas, I must away and prepare the canine comestibles for crepuscular consumption. Have a good one..

iD

Fairly normal behaviour for a 2 to 3 year old male dog. They do try out their assertiveness on safe targets. They soon learn!

• RMweb Premium

All this talk about coaches reminds me of when back in the 60's I used to travel by coach to my grandparents at St. Leonards. IIRC Sevenoaks was a notorious pinch point the drivers however managed to avoid the hold up by using some back streets and the private yard of a factory that had two entrances. This went on for a couple of years until the factory owners fed up with coaches and other vehicles using their yard shut and bolted the gates. As there was not enough room to turn in the side streets this caused an even worse traffic problems with at least four coaches and a dozen other vehicles trying to back out of these side turnings.

• RMweb Gold

Speaking of pets, our cat (named Freda) is somewhat upset. We took her to the vets because she wouldn't stop scratching, they think that the majority of it is because one of the neighbours cats has been bullying her. She'll barely go outside now, we have to chuck her out or else she does her business inside. I've got a multitude of scratches on me, 10 just from picking her up once!

Still, i'm not doing very well about keeping on top of ERs, it's that pesky work again. But this time, it's a different kind of work.
I did some logo design work for a friend of mine I met through playing a game, turns out he could potentially have a new job for me! I had to produce 3 logo variations in two weeks (on top of my 6-days-a-week job). Stayed up till 6am this morning and woke up again at 10am, and i'm pleased to say I handed it in at 3.30 this afternoon. We'll see whether it lands me a job or not. If not then at least i've had valuable experience! Oh, and in the same week, my current boss offered me a job as a trainee chef at his third pub he's bought. So as you can imagine i'm quite shocked and worn out this week. Still, it's my day off tomorrow, and I intend to do naff all!

Well, best get back to work...

...healthy and pretty good for a person of my age...

Tony

Always amazes me that no matter what part of the medical profession you deal with they always throw this phrase in now <sigh>.

Whilst I do acknowledge things will deteriorate as I get older, a constant reminder is IMHO TOTALLY UNNECESSARY, it's a given, so PUHLEASE refrain from reminding me already!!! Arrghhh...!@#$!@$!@ ... dang it all!

• Like 2

A few more pics of Bergen.  The old town is just that small area of tall brown roofs along the dockside.  It's really quite a small area, but if you get the funicular up the hill, the walk down is very pleasant.  I have some more shots of the Flam railway and fiord or two if anyone is interested..

post-6950-0-97689400-1392848230_thumb.jpg

post-6950-0-05093500-1392848237_thumb.jpg

post-6950-0-32078400-1392848242_thumb.jpg

post-6950-0-81191600-1392848219_thumb.jpg

post-6950-0-09467000-1392848224_thumb.jpg

post-6950-0-75345100-1392848246_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

Is that Hell Gate bridge?

The area of East River just around 56th street and about a mile each way was known to us sailors as Hell's Gate - the tide was very fast through there. The trip down there at night was very pretty, I did it a number of times but only once managed to escape the engine room to actually see it.

The other Hell's Gate bridge is one I think you see when you go from Vancouver to Banff on the Rocky Mountaineer.