Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Aditi's family surname is Kapur. Now for some reason this was often turned into Caper, Coper and Aditi's Dad once had someone asking for Dr Cabbage. So when we got married she thought the days of incorrect surname spelling would be a thing of the past, having acquired an English surname by marriage. Unfortunately she quite soon realised that "Stephens" spend a lot of time adding "with a ph".

Tony 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

It's raining - a nice gentle sort of rain but still a good job we did the ready use log replenishment yesterday, gotta keep the wood burner going of an evening for the cats.

Ah, NHS appointments - now that is currently a slightly sore point as I have had yet another reminderi from the halfwits in Sunrise Parkway (yes, really) in Milton Keynes reminding me to book the appointment I have already attended.  Having already (after the first reminder) told some idiot on their helpless line that I have already attended the appointment they have now wasted further time and money; according to the oik I spoke to he needed my password to cancel the whatever it was that had to be cancelled but as I'd had the appoointment I no longer had the password.  Looks like Catch 22 works just well in the NHS, thank goodness for RMweb where a degree of sanity reigns, especially in this bit.

Thanks to Pete for the weather forecast - we've already had the insurers on offering immediate financial aid should we need it because of flood damage and now with Pete's latest news we might have to think about it (and Gordon had better move Eastwood Town into my 'room' in the garage because with forecasts and hints like that I think it might be afloat long before the water reaches our threshold!)

Have a good day one and all - as long as the weather holds out.

Ian, we've always had a problem with people adding an extra "r" to the spelling.

Many many years ago I was working for the local phone company. (now privatised, merged, and known as Telus, for you Canadian types) I was a shift supervisor in the provincial wide directory assistance office. Some of the names we came across in the system were beyond bizarre. Many Indian First Nations surnames were based on direct translations. This led to names like Cynthia Weasel Face, or Billy Standing on the Road. Innu names were worse. Iqquqai for example. The double qq is almost pronounced as a click.

So more good news meteorology from Trisonic Pete! Have you always had an interest in the weather?

Started at School when I asked "what makes the wind blow?" - and didn't get an answer....

But in my present employment I have spoken with a woman whose surname was the second to fifth letters of the town Scunthorpe.  

So do we know the answer to the old song: "Who put the @#$% in Scunthorpe?"

English is such a beautiful language......

Best, Pete.

Started at School when I asked "what makes the wind blow?" - and didn't get an answer....

So do we know the answer to the old song: "Who put the @#$% in Scunthorpe?"

English is such a beautiful language......

Best, Pete.

And especially so when the town in question is signwritten across the back of a van - and the join in the doors comes in the exact middle of the word so that when you open the doors ...

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifIMG_0041 (800x800).jpg

Just back from four glorious days walking with Jane in Dorset.   On the Saturday walked from Christchurch to Sandbanks in wonderful sunshine along the front, and a good third of the beach huts were either shifted or totally destroyed by the storms on Friday.   Decided not to eat in a restaurant at Sandbanks  (where the residents' Chelsea Tractors are so numerous that it looks like a Range Rover convention) when we saw that a pot of tea and sandwich (one) was a reasonable £39.00.........................................

Sunday walked from Lulworth Cove to Durdle Dor and back on almost deserted tracks.  Monday, Tuesday walked Chesil Beach where the previously incredible regular grading of perfectly smooth stones (that have been the same way as I recall since my childhood) were disrupted and altered beyond recognition by the recent storms.  

The incredible scenery is, along with the power of Nature, quite humbling, especially when you see a dinosaur footprint that is 180,000,000 years old.  I somehow doubt that the Human race will even leave anything as significant as that when we have finished with the Earth.  Or when the Earth is finished with us.

Wow, that's better than any text book picture I ever saw, Peter.  It's a long time since I was down there on that beach ( school educational trip).  Don't suppose you came across my footprint?   :search:  :laugh:

Midday the sun was out.  I'll go for a walk after lunch, I thought.  Well, I've had lunch and it's raining.

That's what I call a close shave - just think, had I gone before I'd be coming in soaking wet right now.

Have a good day.

Polly

I did a Geography Field Trip to the Isle of Purbeck too.  Chesil beach is fascinating - and I have various sketches of Durdle Door at home.

The other fascinating place that we visited the year before was the Isle of Arran.  Our Headmaster was an extremely enthusiastic amateur Geologist and loved to run the six form field trips with one of the Geography Teachers. 

At that point in time, I wanted to be a Geologist - but even I found "Huttons Unconformity" somewhat disappointing.  When I voiced my disappointment to the Headmaster, he said:

"What did you expect?  A flashing neon sign?"

"Well, it would have been easier to find, Sir"

"That's what I am here for" he said, laughing.

Good times!

• Like 4

Good Morning from a warm 0C Minnesota! Cloudy and still, VERY STILL outside - literally the calm before the storm...as Pete noted, there is another Polar Vortex approaching and we "welcome" it a day or so before he does - lucky old us  :O

We had a warm day yesterday and stable/warm today right now to max. at 2C later, BUT, it's 8:30ish here now and in about 2 hours the storm arrives.

We're supposed to expect 4-11 inches of snow depending on where in the metro area you are, and there is a blizzard warning for the southern part - winds will move from calm now to 14-22mph, and that with heavy snowfall means blizzard conditions! Not sure I'll be heading to choir practise tonight as the snow is supposed to be all day and past midnight.

Ailments - not exactly, but Mrs. has instructed me to make an eye-doctor appointment since my left eye has been watering on-and-off for weeks now. I can go days without anything, then it'll water profusely for maybe an hour or two, then stop - typically, I'd just brush it off, but has instructions from the C-in-C to get it looked at :(

Wins - YAY, my MIB (from a model shop in Ireland that had it on the shelf, reduced to move) Hornby loco "City of Wells" arrived yesterday - more later, with pictures :senile:  :locomotive:

• Like 3

Well that was an interesting trip into town. I walked past a cash machine (Natwest since you ask) and wondered why it was bleeping away. It readily became apparent that there was a whacking great wodge of cash in the slot waiting to be picked up. I stood staring at it, wondering if I was imagining things. Another passerby joined me. Finally she suggested we take the cash into the bank. I agreed to this and so, with her holding the money at arms length (and it must have been at least 200 quid), we went into the bank and presented said cash to the cashiers with an explanation as to where we had found it and an assurance that we hadn't counted it, let alone taken any of it. We left them somewhat dumbstruck.

• Like 15

Thanks used in the absence of a "well done for your public spirited and honest actions" button!

Thats very nice of you but i'd like to think any decent person would do the same. Especially with most cash points having CCTV these days.

Though funnily enough I do have a plane ticket out of the country booked for Saturday morning

ETA: I did wonder about something like that Neil but they'd presumably have had to ask the bank staff for permission and they were even more shocked than us. Plus no sign of any TV crews or researchers to ask us to explain our actions.

Edited by station cat
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It's an odd thing for sure, makes you wonder what happened to the owner of the cash - spirited away by forces unknown?

As someone who works in the justice system, I join Colin in applauding your actions.  Unfortunately I deal with many who would not be so public spirited....

I applaud the public-spirited nature also - there'd be little chance it'd happen here sadly, at least in MANY parts of town! :(

One question, I'm curious that the bank staff couldn't hear the perpetual beeping and didn't venture out to see/check!! Oh well...

Well we do get a lot of foreign visitors round here so I wonder if it was somebody who is used to getting their cash out of the machine before the card is returned and so wandered away on autopilot when the card came out. I've come close to losing my card at a couple of foreign cash machines which gave me the cash before the card - auto-pilot has met conditioned to walk away once cash delivered because UK machines always give the card back first.

I'm on my own tonight - Sandy's taken her aunt off for a break in Falmouth - The Falmouth Hotel - posh! She's says her room's bigger than our lounge. Told her not to get ideas.

Not on Excel today - just writing stuff about PowerPoint and how to avoid death by same. Such fun!

Well that was an interesting trip into town. I walked past a cash machine (Natwest since you ask) and wondered why it was bleeping away. It readily became apparent that there was a whacking great wodge of cash in the slot waiting to be picked up. I stood staring at it, wondering if I was imagining things. Another passerby joined me. Finally she suggested we take the cash into the bank. I agreed to this and so, with her holding the money at arms length (and it must have been at least 200 quid), we went into the bank and presented said cash to the cashiers with an explanation as to where we had found it and an assurance that we hadn't counted it, let alone taken any of it. We left them somewhat dumbstruck.

Well done you.

Unfortunately the Bank staff have little to do with the ATMs as you will discover if your card ever gets stuck or there is another problem.

Lets hope all was well or that you get an invitation to their next unusually lavish office party.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I'm on my own tonight - Sandy's taken her aunt off for a break in Falmouth - The Falmouth Hotel - posh! She's says her room's bigger than our lounge. Told her not to get ideas.

Not on Excel today - just writing stuff about PowerPoint and how to avoid death by same. Such fun!

I hope you have written a 35 slide presentation on how to avoid death by powerpoint to be delivered in 10 minutes including questions, and using a different sound effect and fade method on each transition! That's how the REALLY clever people do it.

I hope you have written a 35 slide presentation on how to avoid death by powerpoint to be delivered in 10 minutes including questions, and using a different sound effect and fade method on each transition! That's how the REALLY clever people do it.

Would I do that!?!? Would I do that!!!!!!?????

What do you think of me?

Nah. Nicked someone else's

I had a similar experience at an ATM in ASDA. In that case it was fifty quid, but I presented it to the customer services and was told that it happens quite often. I filled in a form leaving my name and address and thought no more about it. About a month later received a postcard from ASDA asking me to call in and collect "my" fifty quid, which I did. There are several good reasons for handing it in: - 

1) It is the right thing to do.

2) I would be gutted if it happened to me and I didn't get the cash back.

3) These days you never know if it is some kind of test and you are being filmed.

4) I ended up with fifty pounds and a clear conscience.

Perhaps item 4 is my favourite.

• Like 7