The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

The Doc has been to look at my toe and has prescribed an antibiotic. I just hope it works. On five previous occasions I have had to be hospitalised and the antibiotic administered by drip in order to be effective.

Thumbs crossed folks

Morning all... with the weather-watchers reporting/complaining that (even after the winter we just had!!!) this is one of the least snowy March on record, we're now at -3 with a rain/sleet mix that's supposed to turn to snow later. Not likely much in total, but "enough" to make the roads a mess/hazardous briefly.

Pete - Lake Placid is a very nice area for sure and I'm glad they aren't complaining like all the ski/winter activity resorts are doing here - another "news report" yesterday acknowledged that even though we have a billion inches of snow, get this, it has been TOO COLD for the resorts which has kept people away and they haven't made as much as they wanted to - you can never please some people, sheesh!! Last year all they did was piss-and-moan that there was no snow <ggrrr>>

Love the car Gordon, pity it's not in my budget :) Mrs would probably wobble on about a convertable being the wrong thing for our climate too <sigh>

No "bad dentist" reports here. I used to hate them, no real reason other than NHS experiences in the 50's-60s, then arriving here was pointed in the direction of Mrs friend, who was excellent (finally retired a couple of years back) - the practise he founded is still a great place to go. I feel for anyone who had bad experiences, I still shiver when I have to go, but have a decent track-record thankfully.

Sunday saw some good modelling time - slow progress though as I'm building both an Engine Shed and Water Tower by Scalescenes. Lots of cutting of card etc., but I find it actually quite relaxing and theraputic. I like the detail even though they are card models, and generally do some minor customizations for size etc, so was fun.

Also managed some DIY stuff too - second floor bathroom needed the baseboard trim work completing - three different types of moulding to cut - polished that off for the most part...

Welcome to Monday I guess :) got to get working again for five days...

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Started off as a lovely day, took nephews to school, and then cast off back to Telfland.

Well I tried very hard not to mention trains or railways on the journey back up from Margam.

All was going weel until we were on the A49 just south of ludlow, when coming in the opposite direction (the line skirts the road at this point) was a red diesel.

Mouth was engaged, and 'Class 60' was out from between my lips before the brain was able to override the comment.

I think the Obergrumpenfuhrer might have been dozing, as there was no comment, so I might have got away with it (Shades of Basil Fawlty).

Collected Elsa from the kennels, who after a quick dash around the house to greet every one, has now adopted her statutory pose as the trip hazard at the top of the stairs.

The sun is still out, so after a cup of tea, a walk up to the Wealdmoor with Elsa to see if the sheep at the farm have lambed yet.

• Like 7

Morning All,

Just!  It's already afternoon here.

I didn't get on first thing this morning.  Having taken the little guy to school, I headed to work and then we had to pick up a pool car for the run down to Karlsruhe, where I will be spending the early part of the week.  We are fortunate that the company has some very nice BMW 5 Series estates which make excellent Autobahn cruisers, but we had to wait for the chap to come down and fill the car up with Ad Blue.  To be honest, I didn't even know that some cars used Ad Blue - I thought it was limited to trucks.

I am glad that the dentist horror stories have emerged after I had my fillings last week!  It just goes to prove how valuable a good dentist is.

Have a good day everyone...

I haven't heard of Ad Blue before.  I'm guessing from what you say it may be the equivalent of our red diesel which is only sold for agricultural vehicles.  If caught using it in vans or cars you face a hefty fine for duty avoidance.  I guess the laws are different in Germany, but am surprised you could use it in company cars...

Edit: Should have Googled it first.  Something completely different..http://uk.air1.info/en/all-about-adblue/what-is-adblue/

Edited by gordon s

• RMweb Gold

Hmm, interesting little letter from Northern Ireland to tell me that my 'benefit' will be changing - this of course the Civil Servants way of telling us that we don't really like you lot of plebs out there justifying our existence and the only people who get pensions are us, and you pay for them as well as your own.  As the letter actually tells me what classes of payment I made for my pension it very clearly is not a 'benefit' and its about time they got that idea out of their heads.  I paid for it so it's a 'pension', if someone didn't pay for it then it's a 'benefit'.

Disengage rant mode.

Edited by The Stationmaster

I see you have Googled in the mean time Gordon!

Ad Blue is a diesel additive which is supposed to reduce emissions.  I first came across it in conjunction with trucks, which seem to use it quite extensively, but I didn't realise that some Diesel cars used it too.  The filler nozzle is also under the flap where the normal diesel filler is located.

We have red diesel here too - and similar hefty fines for those that use it incorrectly!

Edited by Robert

Hmm, interesting little letter from Northern Ireland to tell me that my 'benefit' will be changing - this of course the Civil Servants way of telling us that we don't really like you lot of plebs out there justifying our existence and the only people who get pensions are us, and you pay for them as well as your own.  As the letter actually tells me what classes of payment I made for my pension it very clearly is not a 'benefit' and its about time they got that idea out of their heads.  I paid for it so it's a 'pension', if someone didn't pay for it then it's a 'benefit'.

Disengage rant mode.

I can see I'm going to have great fun claiming my pittance in a couple of years time.....

What was the website you can go to and input your NI in order to find out how little they owe you back? Do you know, Mike?

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

I haven't heard of Ad Blue before.  I'm guessing from what you say it may be the equivalent of our red diesel which is only sold for agricultural vehicles.  If caught using it in vans or cars you face a hefty fine for duty avoidance.  I guess the laws are different in Germany, but am surprised you could use it in company cars...

Edit: Should have Googled it first.  Something completely different..http://uk.air1.info/en/all-about-adblue/what-is-adblue/

I see you have Googled in the mean time Gordon!

Ad Blue is a diesel additive which is supposed to reduce emissions.  I first came across it in conjunction with trucks, which seem to use it quite extensively, but I didn't realise that some Diesel cars used it too.  The filler nozzle is also under the flap where the normal diesel filler is located.

We have red diesel here too - and similar hefty fines for those that use it incorrectly!

Any vehicle found illegally using red diesel in the UK can be seized and crushed. 

• RMweb Gold

I often do odd jobs for a local farmer, and offered to run some fuel up to a diesel pump he had running in one of his furthest away fields.

En route I  got stopped at a 'random' check with a jerrycan of red diesel in my car.

I was threatened with all sorts and they were going to report me for running my car on fuel for which duty had not been paid.

When I told them not to be so stupid, they got really stroppy, and the police officer who was with them was summoned. It gave me a great deal of pleasure to point out to said constable that what they were suggesting was impossible as the car had a petrol engine.

He made them apologize to me!

• Like 2

Chemically identical to sheep urine.

I use it on my feet! True, my Doctor over here gave me a prescription for the creme to use on my old wound keloid scar tissue on the sole.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

• RMweb Gold

Cheers, Ian - and have a great trip!

I fully expect to hear reports on here as to your progress through various locales... Actually I'm incredibly envious, it's been a while for me.

I'm not expecting to be able to report in, but you may hear something now and again.

Anent your pension, exactly 3 months before my 65th birthday, Newcastle, without any prompting from me, sent me all the forms to fill in. I have to give them full marks, really.

Found a couple of photos of a loco I built for a client several years ago... now I wonder if I could start turning these out in  14 months time....????? (Just to supplement the pension pittance!)  

I was actually looking for something else, which I cant find....

Enjoy your evening

Trev,

post-4282-0-98125500-1395087326.jpg

post-4282-0-21951500-1395087351.jpg

• Like 7