RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Sunday went rather less well than expected - renters emailed me Saturday evening regarding a leak in the kitchen faucet. Simple to correct, just needed to install a new faucet, but it did take a couple of hours in the morning of time that was going to be used elsewhere...not to worry really, they're great renters and I'm glad to respond fast as I can to any issues...

Got the Christmas puds made, we made a total of 5 "small" pudding bowl sized ones, 3-4 will be for gifts to friends. We've had amazing success in the past giving them as gifts even though many folks over here are initially reluctant, as they are unsure of the contents, and always ask if it's "like haggis"! Given haggis has a bad reputation (where's the surprise there!!), they expect pretty much anything "unusual" to contain animal organs it seems! :O Once tried, complete with brandy butter they come around :)

The US celebrate Veterans Day as a more generic remembrance now, generally on Nov. 11 with some exceptions when it's on the weekend, and as it's a "Federal Holiday", government workers and some schools have the day off. Pretty much everyone else carries on without skipping a beat or thinking about the meaning, unfortunately.

Of course, since we're in the commercialized capital of the universe, it's another, albeit smaller, version of "hey, it's a recognised day for 'something' let's have a SALE", with most stores and chains having Veterans Day sales and offers to attract anyone wishing to relieve themselves of more money. Again, just a pre-cursor to Thanksgiving and Christmas to get everyone in the spirit of.... spending money <sigh>.

So - I offer you below my early November Minnesotan version of the popular musical line "...what a difference a day makes...", taken out the front door getting the morning paper...

Sunday, +4, mild and high overcast with a very light breeze, pleasant autumnal

post-20244-0-43704000-1415632359_thumb.jpg

Monday, -2, overcast with blowing snow and about 2-3 inches on the ground already, cold and typical later-November storm event arriving

post-20244-0-06042500-1415632361_thumb.jpg

The weather system crossing us has a narrow band of severe snow, and depending on how it tracks over the next 24-30 hours we'll either get a total of 6-8 inches of snow or 12-17. This is the "heavy/wet" variety and the maker of heart-attacks, news already warning of being very cautious shovelling... THEN, the weather is going to take a turn for the worse   :jester: with January-like temperatures for about a week. Expecting highs in the -3 to -6 range and lows around -10 to -14!!! No more snow in sight though, whoopeee :)

Right now the snow plow has just been past and the roards are pretty navigable, but they are estimating the afternoon commute will be about 10 on the angst-level with 1 being excellent, and 10 being "b**u**gg**er I REALLY wish I'd stayed home"...

Enjoy your Monday how ever you see it out your window - just think, you could be here with me :senile:  :jester:  :O

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 4

It indicates that they were shot by the German army for resisting and aiding the Allies.

There are many of them in Normandy. And of course the whole village of Oradour-sur-Glane.

I have been to Oradour-sur-Glane, and it is a very moving experience.  The village has been 'left' as it was after the mass shooting and is a stark reminder of man's inhumanity to man.

Dick,

Just to clarify I'm 'liking' the fact that you bothered to take the photos.

Gotcha.

Just to add - the famille Férar seem all to have died on the 6th June 1944 - D-Day. I had thought the bombing of Vire was later. I'll have to look it up.

Vire was bombed on D-Day and 400 people died that day. 95% of the town was destroyed, along with Caen, Lisieux and others.

Antony Beevor reckons that the bombardment bordered on a war crime. I've asked older French people about it. They told me it was the price of liberation.

From Wiki

It is estimated that the bombings in Normandy before and after D-Day caused over 50,000 civilian deaths. The French historian Henri Amouroux in La Grande histoire des Français sous l’Occupation, says that 20,000 civilians were killed in Calvados department, 10,000 in Seine-Maritime, 14,800 in the Manche, 4,200 in the Orne, around 3,000 in the Eure. The most deadly allied bombings under the German occupation were these: Lisieux (6–7 June 1944, 700 dead), Vire (6–7 June 1944, 400 dead), Caen (6 June-19 July 1944, about 3,000 dead), Le Havre (5–11 September 1944, more than 5,000 dead

Edited by Smiffy2

byron, on 10 Nov 2014 - 14:26, said:byron, on 10 Nov 2014 - 14:26, said:

You must be very proud of yourself to have got that Yodel driver suspended - for what? - a minute or two parked where he shouldn't. Your attitude may have made him react the way he did.

And you have the nerve then to report about your visit to see the London poppies in the same post.

How easily wars can start.

Mike - not often ashamed of my fellow man.

Hope you don't injure yourself jumping to conclusions. The incident was far more than just a simple blocking of a road for a couple of minutes. Read it! Threatening behaviour that could have and probably should have been reported to the police. Not just to myself but to the owner of the business on the corner who's parking lot he also blocked, and another neighbour who was trying to exit the alleyway at the same time. He was lucky with just the suspension. In the end it was 3 separate complaints that were his undoing. It was the company's twitter account that asked for the formal complaints to be filed. What I was trying to convey was that using social media to inform employers of poor driving/parking is a good way to promote change of behaviour in people full of self importance that drive and park how and where they feel like.

edit: as Tony said, Yodel aren't going to suspend someone for simply blocking a roadway or for a first offence.

Edited by AndrewC

• RMweb Gold

Hope you don't injure yourself jumping to conclusions. The incident was far more than just a simple blocking of a road for a couple of minutes. Read it! Threatening behaviour that could have and probably should have been reported to the police. Not just to myself but to the owner of the business on the corner who's parking lot he also blocked, and another neighbour who was trying to exit the alleyway at the same time. He was lucky with just the suspension. In the end it was 3 separate complaints that were his undoing. It was the company's twitter account that asked for the formal complaints to be filed. What I was trying to convey was that using social media to inform employers of poor driving/parking is a good way to promote change of behaviour in people full of self importance that drive and park how and where they feel like.

edit: as Tony said, Yodel aren't going to suspend someone for simply blocking a roadway or for a first offence.

No justification for/of your actions was needed here, Andrew. I have no idea where Byron is coming from on this. Delivery drivers have a tough job making their rounds, but a minority give them a bad name. And why this reported event should not be disclosed in the same message as Andrew's pics of the Tower eludes me.

And could easily have been the driver who almost wiped me out, by doing a right turn on the wrong side of the road. Then drove down the road with his horn blaring, as if it were my fault. And yes I was wearing a hi-viz jacket. Luckily I hadn't quite stopped at the give way markings and had enough momentum to take avoiding action. So no sympathy from me.

Bill

• RMweb Premium

Hope we can quickly move on from bad drivers/driving incidents.

We've seen too many threads go to the large recycling bin in the sky when this gets discussed.

Agreed - ERs is normally a pleasant place, which is why we are all here.  We are, thankfully, pretty dispute free, apart from one or two isolated incidents, so let's hope that this one is just one such

Stewart

• RMweb Gold

You must be very proud of yourself to have got that Yodel driver suspended - for what? - a minute or two parked where he shouldn't. Your attitude may have made him react the way he did.

And you have the nerve then to report about your visit to see the London poppies in the same post.

How easily wars can start.

Mike - not often ashamed of my fellow man.

If you are the one at fault a simple apology usually sorts it out. If you block someone you do not know what problems it might cause. I have just got my disabled FiL into the car to find some pillock has parked across the drive to pop into the bank.

Don

• RMweb Gold

Sunday went rather less well than expected - renters emailed me Saturday evening regarding a leak in the kitchen faucet. Simple to correct, just needed to install a new faucet, but it did take a couple of hours in the morning of time that was going to be used elsewhere...not to worry really, they're great renters and I'm glad to respond fast as I can to any issues...

Got the Christmas puds made, we made a total of 5 "small" pudding bowl sized ones, 3-4 will be for gifts to friends. We've had amazing success in the past giving them as gifts even though many folks over here are initially reluctant, as they are unsure of the contents, and always ask if it's "like haggis"! Given haggis has a bad reputation (where's the surprise there!!), they expect pretty much anything "unusual" to contain animal organs it seems! :O Once tried, complete with brandy butter they come around :)

The US celebrate Veterans Day as a more generic remembrance now, generally on Nov. 11 with some exceptions when it's on the weekend, and as it's a "Federal Holiday", government workers and some schools have the day off. Pretty much everyone else carries on without skipping a beat or thinking about the meaning, unfortunately.

Of course, since we're in the commercialized capital of the universe, it's another, albeit smaller, version of "hey, it's a recognised day for 'something' let's have a SALE", with most stores and chains having Veterans Day sales and offers to attract anyone wishing to relieve themselves of more money. Again, just a pre-cursor to Thanksgiving and Christmas to get everyone in the spirit of.... spending money <sigh>.

So - I offer you below my early November Minnesotan version of the popular musical line "...what a difference a day makes...", taken out the front door getting the morning paper...

Sunday, +4, mild and high overcast with a very light breeze, pleasant autumnal

attachicon.gifFrontYard-11-09.jpg

Monday, -2, overcast with blowing snow and about 2-3 inches on the ground already, cold and typical later-November storm event arriving

attachicon.gifFrontYard-11-10.jpg

The weather system crossing us has a narrow band of severe snow, and depending on how it tracks over the next 24-30 hours we'll either get a total of 6-8 inches of snow or 12-17. This is the "heavy/wet" variety and the maker of heart-attacks, news already warning of being very cautious shovelling... THEN, the weather is going to take a turn for the worse   :jester: with January-like temperatures for about a week. Expecting highs in the -3 to -6 range and lows around -10 to -14!!! No more snow in sight though, whoopeee :)

Right now the snow plow has just been past and the roards are pretty navigable, but they are estimating the afternoon commute will be about 10 on the angst-level with 1 being excellent, and 10 being "b**u**gg**er I REALLY wish I'd stayed home"...

Enjoy your Monday how ever you see it out your window - just think, you could be here with me :senile:  :jester:  :O

Did you choose to live there :jester:

Don

• RMweb Premium

Evening all.

Interesting about the two minutes silence - whilst out on my bike yesterday I pulled over and switched off for the two minutes.  Loads of cars went past, all in a rush.  Fifteen minutes later I passed a town square where there was obviously a service taking place - it's the only road through that way - so I rode past slowly and quietly (other traffic was passing too), but getting a lot of 'looks that could kill'.  Interestingly, several of the cars that passed me during the two minutes silence were parked there. Hypocrites.  Says it all as far as I'm concerned.

Mad busy at work today, my head is still spinning!

Did you choose to live there :jester:

Don

Don,

Indeed I did.

There are redeeming qualities certainly, otherwise I'm sure I'd have moved - nonetheless, I'm sure I have a higher than usual "idiot quotient" as I'm here by original choice! :jester:  :O

No one has ever accused me of being the sharpest knife in the drawer ;)

EDIT (additional comment): Then again, it's the source of HOURS of endless amusement explaining the weather conditions to folks who are in temperate or static conditions and have no real concept/grasp of what it is like. Half the US seem to worry that we live in mud huts without heating, I think, given the alarming reaction to hearing the cold and snow we get. We actually have heated houses ya know, and most of the cars have heaters too ;)

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium

The first car I recall was my father's Ford Anglia. That was I believe a 1948 model. It didn't have a heater. Does anyone know if US cars of that era did?

A heater was an optional extra on some models up until the 1960's.

Ah,  vehicle heaters, the first new  car I bought (1973 Mini Clubman) the "extras"  included a heater (plus seat belts & wing mirrors). Mind you the Morris  one ton van I had as a service van at the time didnt  have one. (Boss was not going to that expense for site fitters!)  That van had ill fitting sliding doors  too. So to keep warm I had to wrap my legs in sacks.  Oh  for the "Good Old Days"  (not)  

Just seen the North American weather forecast.....Ian A ,wrap up well.   Then I guess it will head across the Atlantic.  

Make the most of your evening,

Trev.