The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

A few years ago I was walking the dogs and came across a chap collapsed on the ground unconcious. I phoned 999 for an ambulance. When I told them the casulty was in Grove Woods I was asked where is that. Grove Woods is public open space where lots of people go walking in also has hazardous cliff top paths. So I then explained that it was off the back road from Brixham to Churston and then had to explain where that was. I explained there was a track down to the woods but it was gated and they would need a radar key. No they didn't know waht a radar key was. So I told them that the trust which managed the place had an office at Cockington Hall. I then had to agree to walk down to the road with my dogs to await them. Fortuantely another walker had stopped and agreed to stay with the casualty. By the time I reached the road a lady from the trust had turned up then the ambulance came along and drove down. By the time I got back to the woods an airambulance had arrived and taken off. 

I consider the lack of preparedness by the ambulance service to be ridiculus one wonders how many people die while they are asking silly questions. I would happily provide them with details of local spots for areas where I have lived. It should be available to the call takers. This is just poor management and a lack of commonsense from someone who is probably paid far more than they are worth.

I had rather forgotten all that. Never had a word of thanks from anyone for my efforts not that I mind but doesn't actually encourage people to come forward.

Don

Jock, we have curlews all the year round, having both moorland and coastline, but in relatively small numbers. At one time there were a lot of breeding pairs in Donegal but they have seen a huge decline of late and, apparently, the recorded numbers are barely into double figures.

The bad weather didn't arrive, we often miss it here in the far north west, so another nice sunset this evening. No pyrotechnics, a little more subtle on this occasion.

John

Edited by Killybegs
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Good evening.

Another day of r/c fitting to live steamers, I could get to enjoy this..... :whistle:   I still don't get to play with them, though.

Oh Portillo's on the telly, in Durham today, he was in my home town of South Shields yesterday.  I don't much like the man, but this programme has been quite good.  I missed them first time around because....I don't much like him!  D'oh emoticon needed.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Evening All

Been late on parade today, and didn't log on again last evening, as I had too much else to do, and was planning to come on with a "what I did today" type post, but the various pieces of news that have been posted have left me a little subdued, and when I read Tim's post to 30747, she too was quite upset by the news.  It's really quite odd how a bunch of old railway enthusiasts with a modelling inclination can get so close without ever meeting - I've never felt anything quite like it, the whole mood of ERs reflects this.

And on that note, I'll shoot - today, blanket commiserations and greetings seem inappropriate, so I'll just say.

Regards to All

Stewart

• RMweb Premium

Even if the emergency services do know where you are they don't always get to you very quickly - a few weeks ago my workplace had a 45 minutes wait for an ambulance for a child with a suspected spinal injury .Anyway, pictures of Austria (and Germany). I'll post most of the train ones elsewhere, this being wheeltappers and all.

To get the you know whats out of the way first, I think this loco has already appeared in ERs - in a rather smaller form.

InnsbruckNovember2014157_zps33b67cb6.jpg

I bet that drives the rivet counters mad. :jester:

• RMweb Premium

Evening all, only looked in earlier today, plumber been in to replace a couple of radiators and the bathroom taps. I'd purchased the taps a couple of years ago with the intention of renewing the entire bathroom, this has had to be put on the back burner for a while so I decided to have them fitted to the existing bath and washbasin. On opening the bath taps they were found to be incomplete, they are the lever type taps but the levers were missing! Needless to say after two years I was unable to find the original receipt so I had to get a replacement. Fortunately that particular model of tap is still available so I was able to get some exactly matching the basin taps, also to upgrade to a mixer/shower unit.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 3

Anyone else having trouble logging on to RMweb?

For the first time in months it asked .e to log in today. Of course I had forgotten password. Went thru the process to get new password still could not log in with Mac. Hoever password works with my Kindle Fire. I hate typing on this!

Any ideas?

For the first time in months it asked .e to log in today. Of course I had forgotten password. Went thru the process to get new password still could not log in with Mac. Hoever password works with my Kindle Fire. I hate typing on this!

Any ideas?

No really much help Pete, but I've been on and off all day with no problem(s) (so far!!)...both from my PC and Smartphone

It's been a very sad day, here, as my cousin died this afternoon. We were close when I was a kid, and kept in touch as adults. His family were the people I bolted to when things got on top of me at home. He had 3-rail Dublo when I had Triang. But this isn't a sad story.

At Christmas last year he started to show the signs of dementia, and went downhill fast. By March he was in a bad state in hospital, and the worst was expected. There were plans very advanced to put him into a care home when some tests were done which showed that instead of Alzheimer's he had an encephaletic infection, and after aggressive treatment with antibiotics and steroids he made massive progress, became lucid and his old self.

He was let out of hospital in May. We went to see him a couple of times and he was great. An ex-chef he was planning to come to see me and show me how to make a paté he had made for us which I liked. We had one afternoon in his garden with his wife and my other cousins and one of his daughters, in the sun, eating the food he had prepared, talking about old times and how much we meant to each other.

He had all of that glorious summer to enjoy his family, his garden and especially his grandson.

In the autumn it went badly wrong. His body - aged 74 and after a hard working life - could no longer take the steroids, and the infection was winning. His heart began to falter and he was taken back into hospital. He lost lucidity except for brief spells. He knew what was happening and was able to talk to and say goodbye to his family.

He worsened, and yesterday the decision was taken to withdraw all treatment. He died, peacefully, at 3pm.

No condolences, please, but spare a kind thought for Paul Stevens, 1940-2014. I never met anyone who didn't like him.

Edited by Smiffy2

• RMweb Gold

Good evening.

Another day of r/c fitting to live steamers, I could get to enjoy this..... :whistle:   I still don't get to play with them, though.

Clearly you need to talk to the boss and make sure that it will benefit his business to despatch only models which have been properly tested, in steam, after the r/c fitment has been carried.  In fact if nothing else there could clearly be safety implications in sending out untested altered controls on a pressure vessel and all sorts other things I could probably conjure up if I had a few minutes to think about it ;)

Any ideas?

Not so much troubles logging on but considerable troubles staying logged on - you are now the third Mac user (and presumably Safari too?) to report problems but according to a resident IT expert on the forum it's all down to anything and everything but RMweb servers or their software.  As my IT knowledge is limited to pressing buttons I know nuffin  (however I did manage to download a Dassault (honest) 3-d drawing viewing programme earlier this evening which seems to work but won't enlarge however some CADs arrived later by email and are very encouraging (and might be on restricted viewing at Warley on Saturday or maybe even posted on RMweb - at which point i shall lie in ambush wait for a certain persona

• Like 6

...   I hope that the cover was identified and replaced...

It was actually repaired by that same evening, according to one of her colleagues. And it turned out that the stretch in question is actually named 'North Orbital Road'.

...as an example the A650 between Wakefield and Bradford ran through one area where I worked.  It runs about 9 miles but changes it's name at least 15 times in that distance.  Even experienced police officers who had worked the area for years struggled at times to work out which bit was which for accident reports.   ...  

And I bet there were a lot of accident reports at times due to the state of its layout, signage and surface quality, plus the spectacular confusion occasioned for a time by having both the old route and its parallel replacement both with the same designation and nothing to inform any innocent visitor of this fact. When I mentioned this to a West Yorkshire based family member (who has a share in a transport business) he told me it was down to 'IGM' in the council department concerned; naturally I asked if he could identify an address by which this individual might be reached. The reply, "Nay lad, tha's barking up wrong tree, that's Insufficient Grey Matter, doubt any of 'em can read".

• RMweb Gold

Any ideas?

No idea but just to be awkward my Mac using Safari seems fine. I only opened other tabs and swapped backwards and forwards to rmweb and it didn't log me off. Are your Macs connected by cable or wireless to the internet?

Tony

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

As someone who has now been using small scale live steam for over 30 years including design and production work for a commercial supplier, I would echo Mike's comments about a proper track test prior to despatch of a loco retro fired with RC.

I have a friend in N Wales who is an approved Accucraft service agent, as well as being a qualified engineer, who wouldn't dream of sending out a loco after conversion or repair without first steam testing it.

On an amusing note about live steamers, I recall a trip to the famous Diamond head steam up in the USA some years back, where an American gentleman took me to task over an Accucraft loco that was crap because it wouldn't go. It would raise steam' but no amount of throttle or fiddling with the reversing gear would make it shift an inch.

So I had a quick look, and then got it running.

'Did you open the steam stop cock on top of the boiler' I enquired

'Because if you don't the engine won't run...................but I guess you can see that now'.

There was no thanks, just a scowl

• Like 2

Early good morning all,

RIP Paul Stevens.

Pete(trisonic), the Safari on my iPad Air seems to be working at the moment, as does my PC. Couple of times earlier in the week, the screen froze on me as I used the 'back' button to delete an error - had to come out and sign in again and then write the whole post again!

Very tired now having dozed off on the sofa earlier and I've got young Freddie coming round early tomorrow to make a gingerbread house with me! Think of it as modelling practice! Must get some sleep now,

Kind regards,

Jock.

G'night Pete!

• Like 11

Morning all, 

Bad nights sleep as I found at one time I could not turn over or sit up! Bit scary to tell truth.But did manage to get up slowly this morning.  Not much else to report - except it's still raining (heavy showers) and this is supposed to be the "dry" season.  Butat least theres no frost or snow  -  if it does either here I shall be very worried!

Still tomorrows POETS day,

Lets just try to survives the day,

Trev. 

Morning All,

It is another rather grey morning in this part of the world.  Still very mild for the time of year, but a little bit of sun would be nice.

I think it is time for a coffee.  It is rather hard to "get going" when the weather is like this.

Have a good day everyone...

• RMweb Premium

Fatchy pog again!

Plan for today

Lay n gauge test track

Check DCC wiring

Take layout down

Fill car with exhibition bits for Warley

Set off via nicktoix to get a loco for the display case

Arrive NEC for 3pm

Chech demo area floor markings

Back to hotel

Have food and beer

Bed!

Could be a long day!

Stay calm and have a good Thursday.

Baz

• Like 12

Although we had rain here overnight, it was a beautiful morning as we drove over to the beach. The crescent moon was very thin, if I was still in Saudi I would be looking forward to pay day. The Arabic calendar operates on lunar months and, technically, the new month can't start until the new moon has been sighted. Thank goodness it's not often cloudy! We must be blessed here as the rest of the country is apparently blanketed in fog. I hope it's better tomorrow as I will be taking the bus down to Dublin airport on my way to Birmingham for my visit to Warley on Saturday.

Jock. I have never seen a whimbrel here but I did see a lot when I was working on the Arabian Gulf as they wintered there. It was a great place for birdwatching as our small fertile coastal strip attracted a great many species on their migration from Central and Eastern Europe to Africa. I think it was while splashing through flooded palm groves that I contracted the nasty tropical bug that still haunts me!

Keep smiling, the weekend will soon be here.

John

Quite tired today after a busy Wednesday, including lunch with my Red Hat friends at "The Devon Dumpling", where one lady (in her 80's) choked on some gammon and ended up in A & E where she was seen quickly enough. The pub staff happily plated the three virtually untouched meals for later collection!

The afternoon saw me at Wednesday Club (Toads) at The Little Theatre where it was gratifying to hear positive reviews of the Tadpoles' production of last week, with which I was involved.

In the evening I covered for our absent director for a rehearsal for "Tom's Midnight Garden", which is looking promising.

This morning, I shall return to my previous home to meet with the ex so we can decide who has custody of the Christmas decorations!!

A watery sun is trying to penetrate the mainly grey sky. Hope things are brighter where you are.