Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

aaaarrrrgggghhhh

Went out on taxi duty, having left the washing out on the line, as it was a lovely sunny day - while I was out, the rain descended and the whole lot is now back in the tumble drier.  And now it's sunny again - what fun this domestic nonsense is.....

• RMweb Premium

Isn't it nice to see blue skies every now and then - it may be cold but it (and the wedding news from other ERs) warms the cockles of your heart!

Todays housework complete I shall now mainly be building fish vans and FM containers for the rest of the day (well someone has to!)

baz

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Robbie is getting restless as I continue to wait for a courier. I think I had better provide him with what he accepts as the most basic of walks which consists of walking near the house. He will then wait patiently for a proper walk, with mud, more mud, muddy water and tracks created by wildlife to follow.

Tony

• Like 8

Afternoon all. Today is the turn for grandma's taxi, so I get a day indoors listening to the builders wackering the drive. At work again tomorrow, it all helps to pay for the drive although Saturday is no longer a quiet day for post services. With online shopping seven days a week there are couriers willing to make deliveries on Saturday and Sunday. It helps to pass the time though. Hope your day goes well.

• Like 8

I remember my late father having time off work to go to a funeral. So he comes home and changes into his suit, white shirt and black tie but luckily takes his suit jacket off.

My mother gives him his lunch; he picks up the tomato ketchup and shakes it without putting his finger over the cap which it turns out wasn't tight. Luckily he had a spare clean white shirt .......

Dave

I, too, had a similar experience. This time on a BA flight from Istanbul. 

"Would sir like a drink?"

"Yes please. A Bloody Mary."

Air stewardess shakes 1-litre carton of tomato concentrate. As it turned out it was already open.

"I'm so sorry about that, sir. Would you like another one, but this time in a glass?"

"Yes please and don't worry about it going all over me."

"I'll wash your clothes if you take them off."

"Fair enough."

"Now you haven't got as many clothes on would you like the Captain to turn the cabin temperature up?"

Later on in the flight I was handed my cleaned clothes and a carrier bag full of champagne bottles.

"Thank you for not making a fuss." smiled the air stewardess.

Ahh, I miss the BA of yester-year. 

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all. Today is the turn for grandma's taxi, so I get a day indoors listening to the builders wackering the drive.

Looks to me as if they are doing a good job for you Geoff.  Side bits done and front bit progressing.

... I think I should call him, my partner"

The ring has been lurking for some time now, and it seems a shame to have it gathering dust in a box...

No permission is required for the wearing of a ring. 'Partnership ring' sounds pretty good to me...

... what fun this domestic nonsense is.....

I treat it as a challenge. 30 minutes of brisk activity a day is all it needs. Someone else does all the demonstrably redundant things that involve polish, dusters, windolene, and 'ironing', whatever that may be.

• Like 7

And good evening - technically good morning - from the train on the way home. Not quitw as packed as in the morning. Long but generally productive day, despite plate of pie to the face. Yes, really. No, I do not work im a circus. Yes, it did make sense at the time.

Congratulations to Ashers and of course Ian - as someone already noted, it sure is going to be a BIG wedding with all us ERs getting invites :locomotive: but if Deb shows up we'll all have to avoid the primary/original thing that we have in common ... <ssshhhhh> don't mention those "t" things ;)

Somehow I had b*ugg*ered up my RMWeb settings and wasn't seeing "all" the threads, and had been wondering what some of you folks had been wobbling on about for more than a week - talk about getting senile!

Having corrrected the error I now see many more threads - and good LORD what a kerfuffle the SEVENOAKS thread is. It appears to have become a cross between a "pi*ss*ing contest" and a "who's got the biggest d*i*ck contest"! Blimey!! To quote a line from one of our choirs' favourite pieces, "...there's room at the table for everyone...".

As a result of recent unfortunate issues over here with injustice (your views may vary), there are increasing demonstrations of support for justice for all, net result the main freeway (motorway) was closed by protesters for a couple of hours midday yesterday, as they decided to spontaneously (ya right!!) march 3+ miles into downtown Minneapolis on said freeway. I'm all for peaceful demonstrations but this and similar events in NY and other parts doesn't account for the average person who is then possibly late for a job/appointment they can ill afford to jepoardize, rather selfish of the demonstrators IMHO.

On to the mundane - uneventful choir practise last night, I love choir but meant another evening NOT modelling - and the dresses do look good on me, promise :jester: :jester:

Waiting patiently (not really, who ever heard of a railway modeller being PATIENT!!!!) for a Hornby lit Pullman I won to arrive - coming via the eBay "Global Shipping program" which seems effective in the broad sense BUT has changed the expected arrival a couple of times already and is rather hard to truly track, so I don't really know WHERE the thing is <sigh>.

This, of course, is truly a "first world problem", when one is anxious for the arrival of what is afterall just a nice toy! Perspective Ian, perspective <sigh>

POETS day opened with -1 patchy fog and otherwise dreary supposed to remain at -1 all day then drop to -8 overnight.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Ian,

Sorry to hear of your delay due to the 'demo' but it raises an interesting point to which you or Pete might hopefully know the answer please .  Just how are the members of a Grand Jury chosen?  And are they used in all of the states or just those with a history of things snaffled from parts of UK legal procedure do you know?

(Grand Juries were used in Ireland at one time - and possibly elsewhere in the UK? - but were very prone to being 'packed' as only landowners/ratepayers were entitled to sit on them.)

Ian,

Sorry to hear of your delay due to the 'demo' but it raises an interesting point to which you or Pete might hopefully know the answer please .  Just how are the members of a Grand Jury chosen?  And are they used in all of the states or just those with a history of things snaffled from parts of UK legal procedure do you know?

(Grand Juries were used in Ireland at one time - and possibly elsewhere in the UK? - but were very prone to being 'packed' as only landowners/ratepayers were entitled to sit on them.)

Mike,

Actually I wasn't delayed, thankfully - just voicing concern/support for those that were and are as a result of the current activity.

Grand juries are selected in the same way and from the same pool as trial juries. If you are a citizen you get a random (debatable!!) mailing assigning you to jury duty. You are then placed on what ever jury, based on essentially numerical order as you sit and await assignment on your scheduled day(s).

It is supposed to be and generally deemed to be a jury of your "peers".

Given you can be excused for a variety of "valid" reasons, and some folks choose to excuse themselves no matter what, even somewhat "fabricating or embellishing" the reason they should be excused, the jury tends to be made up of folks who can afford the time and won't be impacted by loss of income.

Tends not to be as much a cross-section of the population as the system was designed to provide IMHO.

Edited by Ian Abel

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon, back in after an enjoyable couple of hours in the shed tree making and running trains.

Wintry showers now prevail with a ten min hailstone shower which has left everything white and sounded loud on the shed roof

Ian Abel said

good LORD what a kerfuffle the SEVENOAKS thread is. It appears to have become a cross between a "pi*ss*ing contest" and a "who's got the biggest d*i*ck contest"! Blimey!! To quote a line from one of our choirs' favourite pieces, "...there's room at the table for everyone...".

Ian, had a look out of curosity at the Sevenoaks thread, agree with your comments!

Alan

Edited by Shedman5

......  or too much necking last night!

Time was that I would`ve thought that was a romantic diversion; but my Nephews are often telling me about nights spent-out; "necking `till they`re sick"...........I had mental images of it being a clinch so-passionate that it promoted nausea..............sadly not, as discovered the intemperate truth. :no:

• RMweb Premium

Evening all (well, it is over here). Chuffed after having been up since 4.30ish ante meridiem, so I'll just express my very best wishes for Sherry and Ian, and round things off with general congrats and commiserations as fit. I'm sure I'll be getting hungry for dinner soon...

• Like 3

Rats! Needing a mid-afternoon snack, I got out a new jar of what I thought was seedless raspberry jam. Alas, I had mistakenly picked up a seeded one at ASDA. I don't have Paw Broon's problem: “The pips get in ahent yer falsers”, I just dislike the distraction from the taste of my favourite jam.

“Just for once”, I thought, and slapped it thickly on the bread. Now, I'm sure that, in the past, the seeds have crumbled readily between my teeth, but these were a different breed – bigger and harder. Gingerly, I toothpicked one out of a small cavity (must get that fixed), and tested it with a small hammer. I concluded that they were in fact chips of lignum vitae and intend to sue ASDA for all the damage to my teeth that I can pass off as jam-inflicted.

A couple of references which may be of interest:

Correspondence on QI Talk: http://old.qi.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=14667&start=0

The Raspberry Jam Tree: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acacia_acuminata

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Ian, your comments on demonstrations causing hold ups reminded me of the events at a particular Dagenham Town Show. I used to work every town show supervising the entrance gates. One year a group encouraged the powers that be to allow a fun run through the streets around the venue, this to take place before the show opened at lunchtime. The organisers of the fun run then took it upon themselves to close the streets without authorisation, the streets concerned included three or four busy bus routes and a couple of major thoroughfares. The result was of course gridlock, and myself and several colleagues had difficulty in getting in on time. Despite the complaints the organiser did the same the following year, only this time the police stepped in and it was only the threat of being arrested for obstructing the highway that made him desist.

Time was that I would`ve thought that was a romantic diversion; but my Nephews are often telling me about nights spent-out; "necking `till they`re sick"...........I had mental images of it being a clinch so-passionate that it promoted nausea..............sadly not, as discovered the intemperate truth. :no:

I have to admit to forgetting that there was a more recent definition of necking. I guess the younger generation have a new expression for what we used to get up to!

... and belated congratulations to ER's lovebirds. I wonder if they ..............

Edited by Killybegs
  • Like 5

Rats! Needing a mid-afternoon snack, I got out a new jar of what I thought was seedless raspberry jam. Alas, I had mistakenly picked up a seeded one at ASDA. I don't have Paw Broon's problem: “The pips get in ahent yer falsers”, I just dislike the distraction from the taste of my favourite jam.

“Just for once”, I thought, and slapped it thickly on the bread. Now, I'm sure that, in the past, the seeds have crumbled readily between my teeth, but these were a different breed – bigger and harder. Gingerly, I toothpicked one out of a small cavity (must get that fixed), and tested it with a small hammer. I concluded that they were in fact chips of lignum vitae and intend to sue ASDA for all the damage to my teeth that I can pass off as jam-inflicted.

I think all brands have hard pips. Many a wasted hour spent removing them when firmly wedged between teeth.

• RMweb Premium

As we get older our gums tend to shrink, even those who have managed to keep a full set of our own gnashers. As most of our teeth narrow towards the root it leaves an ideal trap for fruit pips. It also means that our teeth appear to be longer, hence the term 'Long in the tooth'.

• RMweb Gold

I have to admit to forgetting that there was a more recent definition of necking. I guess the younger generation have a new expression for what we used to get up to!

... and belated congratulations to ER's lovebirds. I wonder if they ..............

Yes, we most definitely get up to the romantic side of love, including the original meaning of necking, which as teenagers was often all that was on offer, while not completely ignoring more mature pastimes. Like dozing off after lunch!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I am pleased for you Sherry and Ian. You can get on with the rest of your life now.

I am rather partial to rsapberry jam but don't seem to have so much trouble with the pips. I choose the stuff sold as conserve (better fruit to sugar ratio) perhaps it comes with better pips :jester: .

Don

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Whew.  A little tipsy, having had a 'non-denominational holiday period' lunch/drinky/more drinky with my old colleagues/staff/bosses.  Got rather embarrassed as I got a presentation of several extra retirement gifts, I seemed to have something in my eye for a moment.  Most treasured is a framed photo of the whole crew, and it's alter ego of the same photo with all the faces muddled between the bodies!  Also a very sarcastic presentation of my last few years annual reports with a cover that would make the bosses it was poking fun at, blanch - in fact they would gather that their current direction of work is at odds to our old team ethos.  Nice work guys, you do me proud still.  Last but not least is the 'Bagnall's of Stafford ' book - not a cheap publication.  Signed by the whole crew.

Something in my eye again.

• Like 7

Good Evening all,  

Firstly let me say that I too are  pleased for Sherry and Ian. You can get on with the rest of your life now. Just hope that my future plans work as well.   (Though my beloved & I live on different continents..! ) 

The sales team today seemed to have moved into La-La land,   seemingly they think they have sold  a lot of equipment for next year (realistically though as far as I can work out there's no money forthcoming from clients yet - and if the sell what they think they might the suppliers aren't going to be able to supply!)  

The Sevenoaks thread has reminded me of someone who tried some thing similar back in the 70's -- (how dare he try to organise  a model rail show for personal "profit")  the  local model railway "Mafia" in the area at the time let it be known that any club or individual who supported this upstart would be "blacklisted"  - and not invited to any club organised shows.......

​Lets hope that  philosophy has died the death it deserved

Well  my penultimate weekend here this year - 11 more sleeps(excluding Sunday afternoon naps) &  I'll be heading to Sunny Southern California! 

Make the best of your evening 

Trev.

• Like 5