Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

After spending the evening at a friend's whisky bar, heading home before my carriage turns into a cabbage (lots of cabbages around here, few pumpkins). Must be getting old, also need to check up on Mrs Squid who was doing a beached whale impression earlier.

Edited by railsquid
  • Like 3

Morning all, continuing quiet here with little to report, which is often rather nice.

Long "distance" cars, our 2001 Chrysler Concorde which died this past autumn had racked up 223,000 miles without any major engine work beyond a timing chain replacement - hence the "died" eventuality. Was a lovely car though - so we replaced it with a 2004 version which ONLY has around 110,000 on it and will last a while, and was a "reasonably priced car". Our Chrysler Town and Country van is around 213,000 and ailing, could do with various items worked on, but as it isn't used much, will be put down when the time comes <sigh>. Has seen a LOT of good work in the last 14 years, can't believe the kids were not even teenagers when we purchased it!

After a string of new cars, the last being the Chrysler van, the Mrs doesn't believe in the huge expense a new car is, and we've had exceptional luck (so far) selecting used vehicles at reasonable prices, so the economics has worked out... guess I'll not see that NEW Ferrari any time soon <sigh> :jester:

Weather this morning is -21 clear and VERY COLD, quite windy so the current reported wind-chill is -24 (yes folks that s "C")

Happy New Year if I don't connect in again before the time passes...

Go to the top of the class Dave!

OK one for you.

Childrens Favourites was on a Saturday Morning. On weekday mornings there was "Housewives Choice" and "Music While You Work". What's the titles of their theme tunes?

Regards,

Dave

• RMweb Gold
Danemouth, on 31 Dec 2014 - 15:56, said:

OK one for you.

Childrens Favourites was on a Saturday Morning. On weekday mornings there was "Housewives Choice" and "Music While You Work". What's the titles of their theme tunes?

Regards,

Dave

No idea - but I can recall both tunes.

Aaaand last earthquake for this year, I hope. Small and relatively close by the feel of it and absence of info popping up on the TV.

Bingo. M4.2 northeast of Tokyo. One of the less useful skills I've picked up over 6 or 7 years in Japan is the ability to tell which direction earthquakes are coming from, their approximate epicentre and magnitude.

• RMweb Gold

I had an uneventful journey home from LHR terminal 4. Matthew has just sent a text to let me know he is on a bus in Malta.

I suspect his New Year's Eve will be livelier than ours as the joining instructions for the "meeting" included a suggestion to bring alcohol, chocolates and a funny hat. The alcohol was supposed to be a product "from your country". Fortunately Matthew is a UK representative which gives him a wider choice of festive spirits than just England.

• Like 9

Does she still have that job? When I watched the Channel 4 Racing before Christmas, there was a new female presenter, nothing like as pleasant. They do seem a very nice couple so I hope Julia will be happy there.

i think she's been on maternity leave.

Afternoon gang. Personally I hate New Years Eve but I like New Years Day - the Vienna concert and then an afternoon of racing. I really wish i'd taken my camera out with me this morning because it was absolutely beautiful

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

OK one for you.

Regards,

Dave

Here you go children everywhere, select you song and click 'Play' (there are more if you scroll down the 'playlist'  (bet Uncle Mac never called it that)  -

(and yes, 'Coronation Scot' is there too  :sungum: )

http://www.andmas.co.uk/radio/children/childfav.html

Edited by The Stationmaster

Polly,  Foxes Biscuit's are owned by the firm that won't pay their suppliers until 120 days from invoice.  Not surprised that they are dumbing down the ingredients.

I've had a successful day since finding the glasses.  Purchased £5,000 of Premium Bonds; ordered a new stereo to replace the one that gave up the ghost several month's ago; did a cheap shop in the orange supermarket with discounts, coupons etc saving 15% off the bill; delivered second bottle of champagne to Doreen for tonight's celebration (her 77th birthday); sent letter to Germany (in English and German) pursuant of my Mitteleinsteinwagen; about to attempt the Guardian's suduko.

Apropos the stereo.  I went up to Tottenham Court Road on Monday, there seem to be two shops left that sell electrical things but nothing like a stereo system.  John Lewis had a couple of cheap micro systems but I want something to play classical music through my Wharfedale speakers.  So I went to probably the last hi-fi shop in south east London, agreed the present system was dead (the amp has died, the CD player is geriatric), and bought a new system.  Sometimes I think that I must be a dinosaur.

Bill

• Like 8

ACK!

Well, expecting a quiet New Years Eve, with Jemma getting in/home around 7PM after being on "ready reserve" today in LA until 1PM local time <WRONG>

She got a call and is now flying the LA - Vancouver morning flight, no idea yet if the crew she is replacing has another segment "somewhere" that she will therefore take. So unless her day terminates in Vancouver at 11AM local, and there is capacity/availability for her to get from there to home, we might not even have her with us tonight! Oh well...

We used to have wild parties for NYE, but we're not so wild anymore, and most of our friends are similarly slowed-down, so we often spend NYE alone or with just a couple of friends.

We'll raise a glass to all our family and friends, local and virtual at the appropriate hour - even though that may be earlier than midnight our time - we sometimes celebrate US Eastern time, then just bugger off to bed :jester:  :O

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

I wonder how much fireworks stuff some people must have bought as even before night had fallen, the Black Powder Battle has been going on in the streets around here. Kitties are unimpressed and sleeping on the table chairs, though. Rabbits seem to be fine, too, though I left a light on in my room to make them feel more comfortable.

Dinner tonight will be three courses of Vietnamese delicacies, starting with summer rolls, followed by bún bò nam bộ, and a mango pudding for dessert.

• Like 2

OK one for you.

Regards,

Dave

With thanks to Google ..... 'In Party Mood' and 'Calling all Workers' respectively!

Edited by Killybegs
  • Like 1

Apropos the stereo.  I went up to Tottenham Court Road on Monday, there seem to be two shops left that sell electrical things but nothing like a stereo system.  John Lewis had a couple of cheap micro systems but I want something to play classical music through my Wharfedale speakers.  So I went to probably the last hi-fi shop in south east London, agreed the present system was dead (the amp has died, the CD player is geriatric), and bought a new system.  Sometimes I think that I must be a dinosaur.

Bill

Welcome to the club! I bought a fairly expensive Yamaha set up in Saudi many years ago. Needless to say it is only the CD player that has expired, I have had very little luck with them over the years. However, as the TV and DVD player are also wired through the Amplifier (great surround sound, especially with the sub woofer cranked up!), I now use the DVD player to play CD's. We've had a Sony mini stack system in the kitchen for 12 years and that's still working fine (except for CD's getting grubby from sticky fingers when cooking!)

• Like 3

I wonder how much fireworks stuff some people must have bought as even before night had fallen, the Black Powder Battle has been going on in the streets around here. Kitties are unimpressed and sleeping on the table chairs, though. Rabbits seem to be fine, too, though I left a light on in my room to make them feel more comfortable.

I lived in Berlin for many years, it was like a battlefield on New Year's Eve. I vividly remember spending one evening on the top of an apartment block watching the place literally be covered in a blanket of firework fumes. Had two cats at the time, one was fine as long as she could check me and the ex were not put out by the noise; the other was a complete scaredy-cat, I used to have to make him a soundproof fort (well as much as possible using all surplus blankets, quilts etc.) which he retreated into for the night.

Afternoon all….

Had a few days of paramedics and doctors with MiL who at last appears to be making the slightest sign of improvement, so escaped for 18 holes around a rock hard golf course.  Shot of the day had to be my second at the ninth which came down perfectly in the lake.  I waited for the splash, but lo and behold, a wonderful boinnnnnng and the ball cannoned into the air to come to rest 4' from the flag.  At last a good use of a frozen pond...

Highlight of the day was an introduction to Sloe Gin…:-)

Lovely stuff!

Low point was a mail from the handicap committee who having reviewed my results from 2014, cut me two shots.  A very merry Christmas to them as well…..

Indoors tonight on dog sitting duties to try and keep them relaxed whist all the fireworks go off.

Whatever you're up to tonight, enjoy your evening and here's hoping for a great 2015!

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 15

• RMweb Premium

I lived in Berlin for many years, it was like a battlefield on New Year's Eve. I vividly remember spending one evening on the top of an apartment block watching the place literally be covered in a blanket of firework fumes. Had two cats at the time, one was fine as long as she could check me and the ex were not put out by the noise; the other was a complete scaredy-cat, I used to have to make him a soundproof fort (well as much as possible using all surplus blankets, quilts etc.) which he retreated into for the night.

I once spent new year in El salvador and the fireworks there were spectacular.  Just after midnight we were all out on the street,(Quite a rare occurence) and two lads appeared with what I thought was a car tyre.  They then unrolled it down the middle of the road.  It turned out to be made of bangers, 3 across and about 70 yards long. This was then lit and took well over 10 minutes to finish going off, all the while taxis and buses were running down the street as normal, just driving over this fire breathing thing in the road.

Jamie

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

We will no doubt have a mixed time with the cats when the artillery barrage on Hill 60 opens tonight - Simba can get a bit upset but as long as he's reassured with a cuddle he seems to be fairly happy.  Sammy in contrast can be a bit of a problem - because he's more or less stone deaf most of the time he's quite happy to go out for a stroll while such barrages are going on, which leaves him open to the shrapnel of falling rocket sticks etc, definitely something different to worry about with a feline resident.

Mrs Stationmaster asked me again to dismantle the hard water tap to deal with the leak - so I did.  It has ceramic 'washers' which look to be in excellent condition but it still leaked after reassembly and of course asking for it to be done this week means no chance of ordering any spares until Monday.  

In the meanwhile UPS at least seem to be good at getting parcels through their system - a quite large, but almost flat, parcel despatched by model shop in Aachen arrived this morning, despatch date 29 December!  Laddo seems quite pleased that his birthday present to me has arrived far more rapidly than he expected - and having given me a Christmas present about SNCB captioned in French this one, I'm told, is about Switzerland and is captioned in German; with all this foreign language stuff it's almost like being back at work!

• RMweb Premium

Tigger's reasonably ok with fireworks as long as he's in a comfortable place, like my duvet or the sofa cushions. Very loud explosions close to the house still worry him but he seems to cope. What I did find this year (he's been with us since 2007) is that very close thunder terrifies him.

One of the features of New Year in Southampton is that all the ships in port sound their sirens. In the days before fireworks (became common at New Year) it was impressive. Now I live over 3 miles from the docks I'm lucky if I can hear them over the racket.

What was supposed to be a trip to the cinema didn't happen, Friday possibly. I did a bit of a shop and hit the Wagon Works for a couple of pints of Black Dragon (Welsh nectar).

Pete

• RMweb Gold

We will no doubt have a mixed time with the cats when the artillery barrage on Hill 60 opens tonight - Simba can get a bit upset but as long as he's reassured with a cuddle he seems to be fairly happy.  Sammy in contrast can be a bit of a problem - because he's more or less stone deaf most of the time he's quite happy to go out for a stroll while such barrages are going on, which leaves him open to the shrapnel of falling rocket sticks etc, definitely something different to worry about with a feline resident.

Mrs Stationmaster asked me again to dismantle the hard water tap to deal with the leak - so I did.  It has ceramic 'washers' which look to be in excellent condition but it still leaked after reassembly and of course asking for it to be done this week means no chance of ordering any spares until Monday.  

In the meanwhile UPS at least seem to be good at getting parcels through their system - a quite large, but almost flat, parcel despatched by model shop in Aachen arrived this morning, despatch date 29 December!  Laddo seems quite pleased that his birthday present to me has arrived far more rapidly than he expected - and having given me a Christmas present about SNCB captioned in French this one, I'm told, is about Switzerland and is captioned in German; with all this foreign language stuff it's almost like being back at work!

Ceramic taps can fail due to the 'hard water' tiny deposits of the salts can get between the plates and prevent them from sealing. Spares have to be the right ones I have had problems with ones that appear to fit but wont work in the tap.

Don

• RMweb Gold

We are not particularly bothered about staying up to see the new year in but  HAVE to sleep is impossible as a peaceful English town turns into a re-creation of Sarevo or somewhere with an enormous barrage of bangs our two dogs turn into shivering wrecks and try to find a sanctuary. Holly seeks to hide while Monty tries to climb up and out. So staying up enusring there is something on the TV and a radio or two elsewhere is the best option. I have taken them for a second walk before it got dark just in case.

Don