The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

MESSAGE FOR FLAVIO  (sorry to shout).

EH? WHAT DID YOU SAY? SPEAK UP, MAN...

Very useful to know, although it does changes things around a bit (mugs are easier to make than cups). Armed with all this information, I shall do my best to create a large teapot and some cups (I think that I have some 4mm churns that I could modify...

Thanks again

iD

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Right, now to a proper good morning all,

Seems we are 'recovering' from our voyage and Mrs Stationmaster is tackling a mountain of ironing while I am wandering around here.  The personal admin for these trips can be both interesting and downright expensive - we had no real problems apart from digging out train times as we've got our passes which cover the whole of Britain, things would have been more awkward for us if we'd disembarked 'abroad' (usually that means the Channel Islands in the case of 'Patricia').  However those who have to pay for their travel face different problems such as inability to get refunds on such things as a sleeper journey from Paddington to Penzance or leaving their car at Bristol Parkway as a reasonably placed location between Weymouth and Swansea with good rail access to/from both and then having to disembark at Greenock.

Joining (or disembarking) can also be a fun experience - several folk went to the wrong place in Weymouth as we had been told to congregate at Sharkys cafe and there were two (no problem for us as a bit of research on the 'net beforehand readily identified where we needed to be and I gave the taxi driver a totally different destination ('the Pavillion please') instead of saying Sharkys as two other arrivals did.  We also had to join by ship's workboat - this does at least save walking up a gangway as we are hoisted aboard.  This was our view of the ship as we approached the end of the breakwaters in Weymouth Harbour - the ship is in the centre distance and should show up if you enlarge the picture -

post-6859-0-54699000-1439463604_thumb.jpg

We also get workboat trips when at sea provided the weather is good enough and here we are setting off for the Channel Light Vessel.  A possible trip ashore at St Ives had to be cancelled because the wind was too strong and in any case who wants to go ashore in St Ives when the weather is like this (second pic)?

post-6859-0-07615700-1439464032_thumb.jpg

post-6859-0-66187400-1439464363_thumb.jpg

So some right variety in the weather from this, at anchor off Slapton Sands, where we spent our second night ( the memorial is more or less central in the pic, where you might be able to pick out a couple of flagpoles) -

post-6859-0-15599100-1439464774_thumb.jpg

To St Ives you saw above and back to sunshine at Wicklow - 

post-6859-0-56382900-1439464957_thumb.jpg

Conditions at sea were equally variable with Wind Force varying from 3 - 4 up to Force 8 over the bow in the Irish Sea; Sea State varying from Slight to Rough (the latter very occasionally but it resulted in orders from the bridge to secure all lose gear etc followed by an order to close all watertight doors); Visibility ranging from 'Good' to less than 100 yards (rather worrying when a fishing boat alters course towards, and passes close enough astern to hear its engines :O - rather fittingly it was called 'Deliverance', and Holyhead Coastguard were taking great interest in it later in the day).  Quite a few Mayday calls but fortunately none anywhere near us this time.

• Like 16

Morning all from a slightly overcast village. Clubroom day ahead doing platform canopies on LGA.

Good to here that you are progressing Flavio, perhaps the snoring roommate has been put there deliberately to encourage you to get well soon.

Apart from that I'm not aching as much as I expected to be this morning after church gardening party yesterday afternoon. We made quite an impression on the pile of tree chippings that have now been spread around several of the furthest paths. It was good to see that all the strimming that I did two months ago has paid dividends as the areas that I did have been kept up with and mowed regularly. I'm no gardener but am happy to help with a blitz day every so often.

As to the duchess. I quite agree about the bulk and size. They have such a superb presence that impressed me as a 5 year old when I saw my first ones on Grayrigg bank.

Anyway, off to the clubrooms shortly and hope that the car assessor arrives and that I get the result that I need. I do not want it written off.

Jamie

This may be too late, but I've only just seen your post. If he decides to write off the car, ask about buying it off them. There are different "categories" of writ-off now and if the damage is just cosmetic there is no reason why you can't keep on using it, although I would want some kind of inspection-even an MOT

HTH

Ed

Cape Wrath is derived from Old Norse hvarf ("turning point"). In this context "Wrath" is pronounced /ˈræθ/ (to rhyme with "path"),[1] in contrast to the ordinary English word "wrath", usually pronounced /ˈrɒθ/ in British English (to rhyme with "Goth"). Vikings are believed to have used the cape as a navigation point where they would turn their ships

If like me you pronounce path with a long a sound, I suspect this guide is not quite correct; but "wrarth" sound very funny in my head. I might pronounce it like that from now on, just to wind people up!

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I always expect to be disappointed, so I was quite happy when I stepped outside about 4am to see the best one I can remember; a bright ball trailing sparks across the sky.

When I first met Liz, at a party, I was surprised when she said she'd never seen a shooting star (I can't remember how that came into the conversation). I happened to know that the Orionids were near their peak, so I suggested that we went out to the garden, where it was nice and dark. As a Kelt, I said, I could command such phenomena, and she followed willingly (we'd both had a few drinks by this time). "Right, face in that direction, and up about 45 degrees". Sure 'nuff, ten seconds later, a silver streak  made its brief appearance. We'd both made a wish, and were in no hurry to rejoin the party...

The best display I saw was (approximately) December 1963, around 11pm Botwell Lane, Hayes (across open fields).  So many you couldn't possibly count them and continued quite awhile. Definitely a sight to remember.

• Like 5

Hope all is well, despite snoring room-mates and other trials of life. Visiting yesterday, elderly friend with probably not long to live. "I cannot complain, it has been a great life. But you know what annoys me, I'll tell you what really has me going these days - expletive deleted - I have forgotten it again! $!*&%#! You would think you could remember what you were really annoyed about." Much laughter. That's the spirit.

... As a Kelt, I said, I could command such phenomena ...

Having seen a few (including a nice green streak) I am no longer exerting myself for anything less than one in the same class as the Chelyabinsk thunderbolt the Russians got a couple of years past. So if you care to inform those of us without the Keltic powers of phenomena command with a when and where schedule (24 hours advance notice would  be appreciated) then I am sure everyone here would be very grateful.

Truly great chat up line BTW.

• Like 11

Morning, another nice day here on Long Island.

Tired of awful support from a vendor at this client I rattled a lot of "high up" cages yesterday and after waiting 3 days with no response they addressed the issue in 45 minutes.

Pissed off lots of folks up the vendor food chain, but the client is exceeding happy - win some lose win some :jester:

Will be leaving early today to fight the JFK madness and head back home - all weather that is "relevant" looks good so we shouldn't have any delayed (famous last words!)

Not really a POE as I have to suffer through JFK AND a 2+ hour flight.

21 on the drive in - I get to leave the basement in  10 minutes and go to another facility for a meeting that is above ground - woo hoo!

EDIT: Sorry for the duplications, just noticed it - seems the forum software had a brain-fart, corrected now.

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

I wish i could say it was nice weather here in London!

Claps of thunder and very heavy rain. Brighton mainline has numerous issues along it aswell as flooding in places so its not lookingl ike an easy journey home later. The Southern website indicates problems on all their routes except the West Coastway.

meanwhile one of my WIndows 7 tablets sitting next to me is currently upgrading to WIn 10 but its only 8% done since it started at 08.00 when I got into work and plugged it in after downloading last night

Tired of awful support from a vendor at this client I rattled a lot of "high up" cages yesterday and after waiting 3 days with no response they addressed the issue in 45 minutes.

Pissed off lots of folks up the vendor food chain, but the client is exceeding happy - win some lose win some :jester:

Will be leaving early today to fight the JFK madness and head back home - all weather that is "relevant" looks good so we shouldn't have any delayed (famous last words!)

21 on the drive in - I get to leave the basement in  10 minutes and go to another facility for a meeting that is above ground - woo hoo!

New York, New York, so good they named it twice .....?!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all. Turning scorchio again with upper 30s being predicted for tomorrow, so I'm glad we'll have a 6-hour shift only!

dsc003856wk3p.jpg

Our ride today was the pair of 5001 and 2143, which I must say harmonised very well and were superb to drive as a pair. Here, we were stood at the Holzhäuser Straße loop in Stötteritz at the southern end of Line 4.

dsc003866qki1.jpg

Parked up next to 1208 "Nürnberg" at Angerbrücke.

dsc00387cwkjf.jpg

A view along the line-up inside the shed.

dsc00389rwkk4.jpg

And on the inner loop at Deutscher Platz, which is one of those various reversing points that come in handy during engineering work or disruptions.

Hope you've been having a good day so far, and generic congrats and commies as always!

• Like 15

Afternoon all,

Really dull here and getting darker by the minute, but no sign of the forecast rain so far! From Mal's post earlier, it appears that the weather has been kinder to Perseid meteor watchers in Edinburgh - impenetrable cloud here at 4am this morning.

Grandadbob, I used my 'secret weapon' on the conservatory roof - grandson No2, utilising my ladders and cleaning gear, as I'm now completely banned from such chores! A fall, even from standing, is apparently likely to see me stuck in a wheel chair for the rest of the time I've got, so I am closely watched by all family members - it is truly frustrating though!

Ian(OD), I'm more convinced with each post that emanates from La Sarthe, that you have the basic framework for a book that would outdo Peter Mayles efforts further South!

Jamie, as far as your car and the insurance company are concerned, Ed's advice is very sound. I believe it is your right to have the opportunity to buy back the 'salvage', with the only issue being that the registration document may be marked with the category of the write off. As you don't intend to sell it on, this isn't an issue as long as the car is deemed roadworthy. In this retirement area, we have a lot of very old, but garaged and well serviced cars with low mileages. Unfortunately the insurance company assessing engineers look at the market value, and if the repair exceeds this, it is normally written off, even sometimes with very superficial damage! Do beware of the current insurance company tendency to go 'knock for knock' which suits them. There are also all kinds of 'hire car' scams to look out for.

Lurker, beware of the "opportunity to register to vote" as it comes with an 'up to £1000 fine' if you fail to complete it! I did ours on-line and it only took a couple of minutes.

Mike(SM), thanks for the photos from your 'interesting' cruise. I wonder if the 'submarine exercise area' markings are there for insurance purposes, as lots of incidents in the past have suggested collisions with mysterious submerged vessels? Odd that you should mention Cape Wrath (Am Parbh in the Gaelic and always pronounced 'Wraath' locally to my knowledge!) as I watched a repeat of an old 'Coast' programme last night which had Nick Crane watching the practice bombing runs on 'Garvie Island', off the said Cape - he pronounced it properly for a change! By the way, in my father's time as a driver (forties and fifties steam, and latterly diesel in SW Scotland), the preferred receptacle for making and consuming tea on the footplate was a 'Gale's Syrup' tin, with a wire handle. I think the lip on the tin helped prevent spillage on such a moving platform.

Andy(leopard), at least it wasn't bad news on the vet front! Glad to hear that your leg has been passed as fit - how does it feel?

Have a good rest of the week everyone, and happy meteor viewing to the lucky ones,

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 9

Afternoon all. Turning scorchio again with upper 30s being predicted for tomorrow, so I'm glad we'll have a 6-hour shift only!

dsc003856wk3p.jpg

Our ride today was the pair of 5001 and 2143, which I must say harmonised very well and were superb to drive as a pair. Here, we were stood at the Holzhäuser Straße loop in Stötteritz at the southern end of Line 4.

dsc003866qki1.jpg

Parked up next to 1208 "Nürnberg" at Angerbrücke.

dsc00387cwkjf.jpg

A view along the line-up inside the shed.

dsc00389rwkk4.jpg

And on the inner loop at Deutscher Platz, which is one of those various reversing points that come in handy during engineering work or disruptions.

Hope you've been having a good day so far, and generic congrats and commies as always!

Dom,

The shed looks absolutely pristine - a bit of a contrast to the steam shed at Hurlford in the fifties!

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Dom,

The shed looks absolutely pristine - a bit of a contrast to the steam shed at Hurlford in the fifties!

Kind regards,

Jock.

It is in pretty good condition indeed, Jock, though a closer look will reveal the floor to be quite dusty as services departing in the morning must carry out a sander test as part of the preparation routine. The walkway marked off right ahead of the lined-up trams is actually red!

• Like 4

Morning (here) Pete,

Downloaded the App this morning and managed to play it on my big screen TV for better sound - I was very impressed and it brightened up the dull day that we have here! Was it a composition made just for fun, or some sort of sound track? I'm fascinated about the way you put these things together - did you do it all entirely using electronics, or did you and others play instruments and record them? Sorry about all the questions but I'm now awake. You are indeed, as I felt when I heard the requiem you posted ages back, a very accomplished musician. Thanks for sharing your talent with us,

Kind regards,

Jock.

PS Pete, I've just caught up to and read post #99585 which explains all, and the music fits the requirement beautifully - should have read through first DOH!

I record things in various ways.

To put it simply, sometimes I plug straight into the iMac using a keyboard (or a guitar, or anything) via an A/D interface. and just play it. Other times (like Humdrum) I direct the software to “play” what I want - anytime I’m using an Orchestra I (usually) do that - often just using music notation, but I still can’t sight-read!    Key software is “Garageband” and “Logic Pro 8”.

I use anything to hand, basically.

I’m going to put up “In the Woods” onto Soundcloud - this is an example of me just playing. The background is me playing keyboard with  “Fairlight” software to create an ethereal sound that Kate Bush often uses. The Dobro is not real  (I don’t own one) but again me playing keyboard instead. I can only play keyboard in C Major! Luckily I can change it to any key once input

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 8

While relaxing over on the beach this morning and soaking up the old Vitamin D (Steph is on holiday this week), we were able to watch the Irish Buoy Laying and Maintenance Ship, Granuaile, working on the Bullockmore Buoy out in the Bay. She has now gone back into Killybegs. Good to see so many families enjoying the sea, sand and sunshine today. How did kids manage before the invention of the wet suit. Even the toddlers were in them.

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Just back from the opticians with the new reading/ computer distance glasses I ordered before going on holiday. My old ones were not to a recent prescription and I trod on them last month which didn't help their optical clarity.

I think the rain here is lasting longer than forecast so I suspect I had better find a jacket and take Robbie for a walk. He keeps looking at me every time I move towards the front door!

Tony

• Like 5

attachicon.gifIMG_20150813_150423.jpg

Robbie in position, ready to intercept me if I head towards the door!

I see that you also possess the 'Stressless' chairs.  We searched for ages for decent chairs for bad backs (both Mrs G & I), and also bought them.  Comfy just isn't the word - one of our best ever decisions!

Gorgeous day here, after the same yesterday.  Mostly gardening, but the old back can only stand so much of that before demanding a rest!  It has had its rest, so back to work....

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all,

Mike(SM), thanks for the photos from your 'interesting' cruise. I wonder if the 'submarine exercise area' markings are there for insurance purposes, as lots of incidents in the past have suggested collisions with mysterious submerged vessels? Odd that you should mention Cape Wrath (Am Parbh in the Gaelic and always pronounced 'Wraath' locally to my knowledge!) as I watched a repeat of an old 'Coast' programme last night which had Nick Crane watching the practice bombing runs on 'Garvie Island', off the said Cape - he pronounced it properly for a change! 

Kind regards,

Jock.

One of the officers recounted an incident how when sailing up the Irish Sea some years ago they a trawler started steaming in circles - seems the nets had caught a sub and in an effort to disentangle them the idea of heading away only made things worse and changing direction didn't help at all.  Some of the Irish ones we encountered seemed to manage manoeuvres like that without the help of a submarine, sometimes breaking most of teh navigational rules in the process.

BTW glad you didn't tell me off for travelling on the Caley.  Noticeable that a number of stations have received bilingual names - here's an example but I do wonder just how many of the locals understand them  (Paisley James Street is a right mouthful in Gaelic)

post-6859-0-55039300-1439479704_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

I see that you also possess the 'Stressless' chairs.  We searched for ages for decent chairs for bad backs (both Mrs G & I), and also bought them.  Comfy just isn't the word - one of our best ever decisions!

"

I'd go as far as to say buying "Stressless" chairs was definitelyy the best decision we ever made - I have even slept in mine after  a back injury session when all the muscles went into spasm and pulled against each other - I laugh quietly when I see all the TV ads for sofas etc from the furniture shifting warhouses, and would NEVER visit one

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I see that you also possess the 'Stressless' chairs. We searched for ages for decent chairs for bad backs (both Mrs G & I), and also bought them. Comfy just isn't the word - one of our best ever decisions!

Gorgeous day here, after the same yesterday. Mostly gardening, but the old back can only stand so much of that before demanding a rest! It has had its rest, so back to work....

We had our first set of sofa and chairs (G plan) for 33 years. They were getting tatty but we couldn't find anything we both liked. We were looking at carpets in some furniture emporium near Enfield and sat down for a while and ended up buying two sofas, what used to be called a poufe (ottoman now) and a chair. We were warned by people that if we had leather furniture our dog might wee on it. Robbie never has fortunately. Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from the village.  Back home after a useful day at the clubrooms.

Thanks to everyone for the PM and other advice about write offs.  It's over 30 years since I was last involved in a write off situation and there was no way that I wanted to buy back a Maxi that had had an 8 legger on the bonnet.

In the event I had a good chat with the engineer and explained that I didn't want it written off as all our capital is tied up in the French House move at the moment.  He was very good and fortunately there wasn't any body panel damage, just the rear bumper and a light cluster.  there was on very minor bit of damage on the rear offside wing panel but I said that I wasn't bothered about that.  The car is 11 years old with 128,000 on it but goes well, is economical and I need it's load carrying capacity at the moment for LGA and taking stuff to France. He rang me shortly after the inspection and said that though it was marginal he was getting it repaired.   I suspect that a ticket to our November show will be winging his way.

Apart from that not a lot to report. 

Mike I'm intrigued by your voyage and would love something like that, however I suspect that the distaff side might want something a bit more predictable.  

Flavio, I am overwhelmed by how erudite the ER readership is with the details of such things as teapots and mugs.  As to the coat lining I would suggest roof dirt or something similar, fortunately the coat with the tartan lining (Gannex) wasn't produced till after WW2.  We had them issued as raincoats.   However I do know that Ulster's were in use at the time by footplate staff as one lucky fireman was saved by wearing his in a rainstorm, along with an equally sodden flat hat, when he made contact with the overhead whilst trimming the coal in the tender.  The 6,600 volts earthed through the flat hat and Ulster (with collar turned up) and burned a two inch hole in the sole of his boot.  He woke up the next morning in hospital with a headache.  A very luck man.

However, as to rivet counters, I have various traps to snare them.  One is the exit signal from the bay, this is a rotary ground disc signal, but signals passenger moves and acts as the starter.  I'm waiting for a rivet counter to tell me we've got the wring type of signal, and will then produce the photo.

Jamie

• Like 17