RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

I have asked for our money back as it was cloudy here this morning. Sun is now shining so almost everything is good in the world.

Rhinos won, SAFC drew....

Rant on

The south of England seems to be producing most of the noise/bad manners and towel on sunbed people in our resort. Apparently, I was told last night, the people live in slums in Leeds and are all benefits cheats. The gentlemen expounding this was from Basildon...poor man! At least we have street lights and footpaths in Leeds! And he was ranting after his son had just kicked her indoors for fun so I had asked for an apology! Lummy!

Rant over!

Enjoy your Sunday

Baz

Baz, Some people can suck the fun out of everything. Enjoy the rest of your holiday.

Cheers, Pete.

Morning all. Very late on parade this morning.

I was absolutely shattered when I got back from the call out yesterday and only looked at a couple of threads before loosing interest in anything but food and sleep.

Considering that I'm in the fire safety industry, I'm totally ashamed that I didn't know about this piece of research;

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/06/130627131827.htm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDzTOk8ZZB4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-az6BooRLxw

Have a good day everyone

• RMweb Gold

Baz, Some people can suck the fun out of everything. Enjoy the rest of your holiday.

Cheers, Pete.

I promised the resort rep at Lake Bled that I would do my best to encourage people to consider visiting for their summer holidays. I didn't see any sun bed/ towel problems at our hotel. Guests from Essex and Yorkshire passed the time in perfect equanimity!

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Somewhat late arrival as I started the day by doing an update on my 'Back on the briny' thread - editing in pics even when the text has already been written (but today's wasn't) takes time, and even longer when called to the kitchen to consume a boiled eggs (and I had to make my own 'soldiers').  So a visit to Tesco to buy what we didn't buy yesterday (mainly today's 'paper but I'm told other things are required) then updating a lot of stuff for my friends in the north plus probably trying to add part 3 to Back on the briny - it does have some pics which haven't appeared here plus a load of my verbal blathering so if you're interested here's the link

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/102573-back-on-the-briny/

Have a  good day one & all

• Like 10

Just after coarrived shortly afterg the rental car we called in at Vancouver WA station. The West bound Empire Builder arrived not long g after, o my about two hours late. The other day it was about ten hours late so it was doing well today.

Near enough for "country working" as we Controllers used to say.

Mike

• Like 3

I promised the resort rep at Lake Bled that I would do my best to encourage people to consider visiting for their summer holidays. I didn't see any sun bed/ towel problems at our hotel. Guests from Essex and Yorkshire passed the time in perfect equanimity!

Individuals often get lumped together to the detriment of everyone. Of course only Germans reserve Towels and Sunbeds :drag:  

Er, let me make this clear I only used that example as er, an example......... :scared:

Best, Pete.

• Like 4

Morning all, and a nice sunny one it is, too.

Been looking after a neighbour's house whilst he's on holiday. As they'd been away for a couple of weeks I thought I'd cut their lawn as I figured it would be a bit dis-heartening to come back to knee deep grass. Inspecting the task I noticed that one rectangular patch, about 2'x6' was much longer than the rest. Come to think of it I haven't seen his mother-in-law for a while. NOW, I'm not saying anything specifically, but.... :butcher:

Not sure who posted the photo of the dead bat the other day, but here's my attempt at matching that....

I should stress, this layout isn't dead, it's "resting"! 

post-4299-0-78565200-1440933818.jpg

Meanwhile, having spent the last week building baseboards, this layout is in the exciting "planning" stage....

post-4299-0-11474700-1440933953.jpg

post-4299-0-81193300-1440933968.jpg

Anyway, a propos nothing in particular  <_<  , here's a picture to cheer you all up, in case the holiday traffic may keep you from scuttling to the coast.

• Like 12

My daughter now has a very important role in life in that she is now responsible for delivering the Sheringham Independent to 500 households. For public service of that magnitude, she fully expects a mention in the New Year Honours list. I've done the round with her a couple of times to make sure that she does actually put the free paper through the rectangular hole most people have in their doors. A pet hate of mine is post or papers "half-in" the letterbox or worse, as Chris says, not even within 3 feet of the letterbox and just dumped on the doorstep. I do wonder about the old man who has recently nailed his letterbox shut (seriously) and mutters at anyone who approaches his property from an open upstairs window... I've told my daughter to give that house a miss and she's quite happy about that. We now have one copy left over. If anyone's interested, PM me... it's a fascinating read. For example, Gresham and Bodham Womens Institute have elected a new treasurer. Small-town life... love it.

I was trained from a relatively early age in the art of correct insertion of written communications into the appropriate receptacle due to parents actively involved in local politics. We were also encouraged to remove any partially or incorrectly inserted missives from competing political parties as a public service. This was excellent training for a later career as distribution associate paper boy for the town rag. Luckily that was on a well-to-do-ish new estate with a reassuring regularity of receptacle size and very few odd people (though I believe one delivery may have taken place while the occupant of the house was dangling from the ceiling in a way which ensured he would never read a newspaper again, though obviously I didn't notice). Downside were the longer drives. I think it took two hours to do 120 houses. I do have to say I still love the way small-town journalism tries to jazz up local events of import... "councillor slams new bin schedule", "row over road cones escalates", "residents blast new community hall" etcetera.

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

When typing and posting form the mobile phone and a few beers my typing goes even more downhill :O

Morning from Olympia, the capitol city for the State of Washington. After all the dry weather in the NW USA I think we deserved to get soaking wet last night walking back from the last bar to the hotel. Did have one of the local youths presumably on a high in a spot were a lot of the street people hang out tell us he that all foreigners will one day be put in a gas chamber - nice. We normally find that most street people leave you alone apart form asking for money now and again so he was the odd one out and it doesn't really bother us. Lets face it, if they had the money to buy a gun then they would have spent it on a high or alcohol.

Whilst doing some line-siding along the mainline between Portland and here a rail fan stopped by me and started going on about all the high winds trees down and people dying. Put the local news on my ipad and couldn't find anything except for the Hood to Seaside relay race had to take down numerous 'tents' (I think meant gazeebos) down due to the 90 mile an hour winds but the race still went ahead.

Just hoping the winds and rain have calmed down as we travel down the coast from here to Astoria back in Oregon state - you probably guessed but some rather nice breweries there.

AndyB - you are making me want to start laying track on a new layout but I must finish what I have started first!

Morning all. Very late on parade this morning.

I was absolutely shattered when I got back from the call out yesterday and only looked at a couple of threads before loosing interest in anything but food and sleep.

Considering that I'm in the fire safety industry, I'm totally ashamed that I didn't know about this piece of research;

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/06/130627131827.htm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDzTOk8ZZB4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-az6BooRLxw

Have a good day everyone

That is not just incredible but VERY disturbing - what is even more disturbing is that this has been known for so long (see the 2008 date on one of the videos) and yet exactly the same smoke alarms are still being sold in places like B&Q and Homebase etc. seven years later, giving people a totally false sense of security -  despite newspaper headlines frequently screaming about families being killed in night-time house fires, nothing seems to have been progressed.

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from the village.   Started early for church this morning as Beth had 12 hymns to play and needed help setting up.   We have a service every 3 months where people pick their favourite hymns/songs and then introduce them and the minister weaves it all into a service.  Anyway parts of Green Ayre were still set up in the back room and after the service, while we shared a lunch, kids of all ages from 8 to 80 came and had a play.  This went down very well and the smiles on various people's faces were great to see.  I've now got permission to set the few boards up in the main hall next week so that I can sort the Goods Yard electrics out.  

Anyway onto other things more suited to ER's.  How does one get rid of an ear worm.  I've had one for the last few days. Not unpleasant, it happens to be 'Down to the river' by Bruce Springsteen but I've now had it for about 4 days and I'd like to change the record.   In the past they have changed after church services usually to a song that I didn't like.

I was talking about ear worms to some of the kids and they'd never hear of them and asked if I could get drops for them.

Regards to all

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Just seen in the Daily Wail!

'Passengers' fury at being delayed for nearly 24 hours after Monarch Airlines plane broke down before flight from Sharm el-Sheikh to Birmingham'

Call me old fashioned, but I'd much prefer to have the aircraft repaired prior to taking off rather than all the embarrassing screaming the furious passengers would be doing if it decided to break down at altitude.

• Like 2

I was talking about ear worms to some of the kids and they'd never hear of them and asked if I could get drops for them.

Funny, that. I've only ever seen that particular phrase in the last year, which is around the time I started frequenting UK-centric model railway sites, and it still strikes me as unfamiliar. I do of course understand it (Ohrwurm in German has the same meaning and is in common use), but I wonder if it's either a generation thing (i.e. common among the model railway demographic, who statistically will have been out watching trains while I was still drooling on the floor) or a neologism which cropped up after I left the UK.

That reminds me, I must take my ear wigs to the dry cleaners.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

It's just started being tomorrow morning and I've just got home.

Happy August Ban Collar Day to all those in England and Wales who get to celebrate it.

Good night all.  
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Funny, that. I've only ever seen that particular phrase in the last year, which is around the time I started frequenting UK-centric model railway sites, and it still strikes me as unfamiliar. I do of course understand it (Ohrwurm in German has the same meaning and is in common use), but I wonder if it's either a generation thing (i.e. common among the model railway demographic, who statistically will have been out watching trains while I was still drooling on the floor) or a neologism which cropped up after I left the UK.

That reminds me, I must take my ear wigs to the dry cleaners.

I think I first heard the phrase 3 or 4 years ago on Radio 4 one Saturday morning when people were being asked to send in the titles of their ear worms.

Jamie

Certainly will be taking the Bank Holiday. Phoned my Yorkshire-based boss on the first Monday in August. 

"What are you doing working on a Bank Holiday?", he asked. 

I guess they take their holidays differently oop there! ;) 

Let's just say I'll phone him again tomorrow, just to let him know I'm working on the "southern Bank Holiday!"  lol.

• Like 8

Makes sense... I once tried to explain the whole concept of Yorkshire to someone in Germany, the best I could come up with is that it's a sort of British/English version of Bavaria, i.e. somewhere with a strong regional accent which likes to think it's not quite part of the same country.

To bed I must, it's tomorrow already.

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Makes sense... I once tried to explain the whole concept of Yorkshire to someone in Germany, the best I could come up with is that it's a sort of British/English version of Bavaria, i.e. somewhere with a strong regional accent which likes to think it's not quite part of the same country.

To bed I must, it's tomorrow already.

I am not sure which part of Germany is equivalent to Essex though I believe Essex is to the UK what New Jersey is to the US.
  • Like 8