RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Which President said that if English was good enough for Jesus then it's good enough for you?

Ed

de gaulle   :declare:   :no:  :yes:   :dontknow:

Not really but if Andy was trying to do a straight cut his jigsaw navigation skills are about on a par with mine  :O  :jester:

I never mastered the art of getting the track and platforms mm perfectly parallel with the baseboard edge; I guess there's a jig for that?  :blind:

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Has anyone seen my pocket hole jig? Can't find the ###### anywhere...

A jig for making holes in one's pocket? I can understand you'd be at a loss without it!

Trisonic Pete was right about my Firewall (not my personal one, you understand) being off. It is now enabled. Thanks. Courtesy of the iCloud I found yesterday I was able to access files on my PC from the iMac. Today the iMac offered me access to ERs using the Safari on my iPad. Having a Firewall that ensures other bounders can't emulate all this connectivity does sound like a good idea!

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

My Russian teacher played rugby for Hartlepool Rovers 2nds (the Heughers). F course one Saturday he played at Horden....against several of the school first team. He survived...just..but Russian lessons were tough for a week or so....

Baz

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

A jig for making holes in one's pocket? I can understand you'd be at a loss without it!

He'll be feeling cocky once he's found it.

Well someone had to say it.

I never mastered the art of getting the track and platforms mm perfectly parallel with the baseboard edge; I guess there's a jig for that?  :blind:

That’s a good enough reason to model a modern secondary line in the USA........................”Passengers? Just a pain in the way of making real money....” © CSX Corp.

Best, Pete.

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Found on Facebook today

Back in the day when I was a young "Greyhound" / A.T.E (Assistant Ticket Examiner)........

I was with another A.T.E. and the Guard of the last Padd' - Bristol sat in the T.G.S. of the H.S.T. It was well known that at Swindon we picked up the "ladies of horizontal refreshment" after their nights work. My fellow A.T.E, was a lovely chap, though had a very sheltered upbringing due to very religious parents. He volunteers to go through on his own doing the tickets. We offered to assist him but he was adamant he was going to do the check by himself. Well he sets sail and myself and the Guard converse. Next thing we know, my A.T.E. mate comes back and is banging on the T.G.S. Guards Door in tears, saying "There is a woman with no ticket or money who says she can pay!" He explains that she lifted her skirt up and had nothing on underneath!. I say to him, "you sit there and collect yourself and me and the Guard will sort this out; wont we Guard?". I turn round and the Guard is already halfway down the T.G.S. I set off in hot pursuit as this could be an interesting clipping of her means of travel!. We both get to her and her cohorts, and the Guard states "so who has no ticket and no acceptable method of payment?" Well this "female" says "I need a ride, I'll pay with a ride for a ride" as she exposes her "Severn Tunnel". I can't help but look, then I turn to the Guard. He looks her up and down, with a dead-straight face, and deathly quiet; as all the tarts mates look on. Then the Guard breaks the silence with "Sorry love, haven't you got anything any smaller" He then turns and walks away as I am crying with laughter and all her mates are p!ssing themselves. The woman in question is gulping like a fish out of water, skirt still held high; as the Guard & I both go back to the van. That night I came away with a lesson well learned and I thought - they don't teach that in ticket school!

Which President said that if English was good enough for Jesus then it's good enough for you?

Ed

Jimmy Carter, 2002 Nobel Peace Prize awardee, in a speech given 2001 at the Burkle Center for International Relations, quoted a formidable Texan lady to that effect. Perhaps this led to his being placed as originator of the howler.

"Before I talk about promoting peace, I will tell a story that illustrates a basic cause of conflict. There was a hot argument in Texas in the 1920s -- one that is still going on in several states, particularly in California -- about whether Spanish should be used in the classroom to teach kids who came from Mexico, or whether only English should be permitted. Miriam “Ma” Ferguson had become the state's first woman governor, after her husband, Governor “Pa” Ferguson was impeached. She ended the debate quite quickly when she held up a Bible and proclaimed, 'If the King's English was good enough for Jesus Christ, it's good enough for the children of Texas!'

She sounds like an inspiration for Sheldon Cooper's mother!

• Like 2

If one did, then probably descended from Dr John Lightfoot, who's famed commentary found in many earlier copies of the 'KIng James' or 'Authorised Version' of the Bible commences at the creation: 4004 B.C. 23rd October, 9 a.m.. Well of course it was 9 a.m., that's when any self respecting Englishman commenced his day at the office. Among other matters, he had the exact date and time when Cain caved in Abel's head; I am sure the Noteden Constabulary CID would have appreciated this information to assist in their enquiries, if only he could have provided it a little earlier.

Ian, that's priceless.

As indeed it would appear was the slack tart's fare,

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all. Two days off ahead, but I'll skip having a nap just now as I want to be able to sleep through the following night. Shift took place on Line 9 entirely and went well. The line is quite nice to drive and does, for a change, allow you to largely meet the timetable if nothing goes badly wrong.

img_3257npkqf.jpg

1112 "Seiferts Oscar" at Thekla before sunrise…

img_3243kokid.jpg

…and an overview of the NGT8 cab, taken a few days earlier. Note the J-shaped controller handle, which must be rotated clockwise by 90 degrees to enable the deadman circuit. The cab clearly shows the NGT8 to have been developed in the 1990s, I think.

img_3256qasaa.jpg

The interior is pretty much in line with our other types, stylistically.

• Like 15

Found it.

So you must be wandering around smiling, then?

Anent that other spat, great to see Martin Wynne posting in his usual informative fashion at 1443 today.

In several different threads too - he appeared on Hayfield’s lovely, all gauges track build walk-through.

Good sense does prevail.

Best, Pete.

• Like 7

Morning all

Jock - thanks, figured as much. Fortunately, the local garage (service station) that have done our car needs for nearly 20 years now are very competent (rare these days as you say) and definitely trustworthy. Their initial reaction when I took it in was "..yep, those particular model year Chryslers are notorious for fuel pump issues - BUT, we'll not just slam a new pump in as they are rather spendy being in the fuel tank...". They're running some pressure tests and other carp to see if they can determine what the issue is. Don't seem to have any "codes" showing to help them. Seems just the way, when there's not much wrong there appear to be a ton of codes to read, but when you'd really like one, there's "nowt".

OD/Sherry - thinking about you both and hoping for a comforting conclusion though it will be hard no matter what :friends:

HUMP day and with it the dreaded drive to the office. Dreaded, as skule is back as of Monday and sure enough the road was littered with soccer mums in their SUVs doing everything BUT actually driving the bloody things <grr> :butcher:  :triniti: back to unnecessary congestion as they clog the roads, it isn't THAT difficult for the kids to find alternate means, "like wot we did"... 

20 driving in, and some mist/fog around as we had a major thunderstorm in the wee hours and it's already warm and humid and getting nastier looking for 29 today, but there was still plenty of cloud cover and may prevent the sun/heat from showing.

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Morning.

As expected due to us being located on  different floor in the hotel to that we had paid for, we couldn't access the floor where the complimentary breakfast was. With our room being quite a walk from the elevators and on the tenth floor there wasn't time to go down to the lobby to be able to get access back up to the 12th floor then back to our room to collect our bags. So we went down with our bags to check out and have a few words with them at reception. Loads of apologies and a we were offered a free full breakfast in the main restaurant. Still not happy after paying nearly $300 for a club room to only be given a standard room. Will have further words about this.

A short trip on the Metro to Union station (always impresses me this place) and now on the Amtrak Acela to providence. Further to Petes advise we are on the left hand side in order to keep out of the sun but could still see out across the bay.

There was a what appeared to be a broken down MARC commuter service at BWI station heading towards Washington with another loco about to back onto the train. Needless to say there are a string of trains heading South stopped at various signals.

Usual surely buffet car attendant having a go at passengers but luckily he was Ok with me. Again another big difference to Amtrak on the West Coast.

Talking of earthquakes, I have yet to actually feel one. we were in San Francisco only a short while before the big 1989 one. When travelling on the Oregon coast the tsunami evacuation route signs do bring it home as to how fragile an area this can be.

My other half is happy as she has seen a fair few Norfolk Southern locos this morning.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

There is a school in North London which was on the TV a year or so ago where all the roads around it are clogged with Chelsea tractors dropping of just one kid. I suppose its the sign of the times where many parents are scared to let their kids walk unlike back when we were at school.

Afternoon all

Just read Ian's post and hope that Sherry is all right.

I'm at St Pancras at the mo having spent a quick 48 hours in London dealing with my father's Power of Attorney which is some weight off our minds, and also opening a new bank account at Barclays (he decided he don't like HSBC since they said they might move their Head Office to the Far East) - never realised how tricky that was without a valid passport of driving licence. You need a letter from HMRC which includes your NI number as well as the utilities bill. All done and enjoying a large OJ and soda waiting for my Edinburgh train next door.

I'm going to be away from here for a week or so - a few routine tests less than 3 weeks ago discovered that I had a growth in my colon close to my appendix. It is malignant, but the C-scan 6 days later showed that there were no growths in my other internal organs. Saw the surgeon last Wednesday who said that a part of the colon had to come out - the op is tomorrow, all being well. They attach my small colon to the large near the first bend above the appendix. 

The whole cancer is tested to check whether any cells have gone awol - and if they have I'll need chemo. Am impressed that the NHS has moved so fast, but discouraged that pre-admission is also make Medicine for the Elderly - I know I was 62 last Monday but that's a bit rich :O

So, I'll be hospital for around 7-10 days. Gabe will post here  if she can navigate the site, otherwise, Rick has kindly agreed to accept an email and will update you all. Yes, I'm somewhat apprehensive... :scared:

So long as the surgeon's birthday isn't today! Be in touch later...

Mal

• RMweb Premium

A'noon.  A ride out on one of my old clunkers produced more electricity than needed, due to a wire falling off.....cue all bulbs blown as there was no voltage regulation #sigh#

post-10195-0-31798600-1441203780_thumb.jpg

Mrs H's little street scrambler has thrown a fit too and refuses to start, so I'm off down the garage to see if I can fathom why.  I blame Ian A, his car problems are spreading!

post-10195-0-14680600-1441203800_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

There is a school in North London which was on the TV a year or so ago where all the roads around it are clogged with Chelsea tractors dropping of just one kid. I suppose its the sign of the times where many parents are scared to let their kids walk unlike back when we were at school.

Oh no, some of them catch buses. Mind you, it is an absolute necessity to sit in the lower deck seats, whilst pensioners either have to stand or struggle up the stairs.

Signing off, Bruckner 7 at the Albert Hall tonight.

Bill

• Like 2

Oh no, some of them catch buses. Mind you, it is an absolute necessity to sit in the lower deck seats, whilst pensioners either have to stand or struggle up the stairs.

Signing off, Bruckner 7 at the Albert Hall tonight.

Bill

If somebody put forward the idea of a passenger carrying vehicle in which the passengers not only didn't have to wear a seat belt, but could stand, walk about or even ascend/descend stairs whilst said vehicle was in

motion, can you imagine the outcry?

Ed