RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

When we got the first of our dishwashers in the mid-80s it made more of a difference to our lives in the kitchen than the microwave we'd bought a couple of years before. I'd not want to be without one for long.

I would really miss mine :sungum:

I cant operate the microwave by my self!

• Like 2

HUMP day arrives in the upper mid-west...

Yesterday the "Orilly men" put in our new front path (sidewalk in US terms).

Great local company and an excellent job, however I did have a moments "pause for reflection" when Mrs said the owner would knock off a couple of hundred dollars if we paid cash. Pause NOT for the offer, but because the owner/principal worker on the crew is named Dell (aka Dell-boy??) :jester: wasn't sure what sort of "offer" I'd be accepting. :O

Before - wood-chipped path - apologies for poor quality picture

post-20244-0-30664700-1442410846_thumb.jpg

Final stages - nice concrete 5ft. wide brushed finish job

post-20244-0-26409700-1442410844_thumb.jpg

Up early and things seemed to be moving along very well, until I managed to spill the entire cup of coffee on the floor of the minivan :( Bugger!

Whatever, the drive in was uneventful as I was a tad earlier than usual, the "stupid" element apparently hadn't managed to get themselves on the roads yet, yay.

19 and sunny on the drive in, continues to be lovely weather here though we had some serious LOUD thunder overnight, but little rain to show for it. 28 for the high later.

EDIT: Forgot to note, as with everyone else awaiting news from Jock, and concur with the respect that he'll get here when appropriate - wishing them well.

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 14

Our dishwasher sits there waiting idly for house guests to arrive, when it will be asked to spring into action.

With just two of us, we run out of certain items of crockery before the machine is full and then have to raid it before we can eat!

Just had a phone call to say our new car will be ready for collection at the end of the month, whoopee. Why are we buying one in September? Because that's when the summer trade in deal expires, that's an extra 2,500 on top of the trade in value plus they are giving us 1,000 against the new flywheel and clutch we had fitted in June (agreed before we went ahead with the repairs). It does sometimes pay to be a regular customer.

Edited by Killybegs
  • Like 17

• RMweb Gold

HUMP day arrives in the upper mid-west...

Yesterday the "Orilly men" put in our new front path (sidewalk in US terms).

Great local company and an excellent job, however I did have a moments "pause for reflection" when Mrs said the owner would knock off a couple of hundred dollars if we paid cash. Pause NOT for the offer, but because the owner/principal worker on the crew is named Dell (aka Dell-boy??) :jester: wasn't sure what sort of "offer" I'd be accepting. :O

Before - wood-chipped path - apologies for poor quality picture

attachicon.gifPath-Before.jpg

Final stages - nice concrete 5ft. wide brushed finish job

attachicon.gifPath-After.jpg

Up early and things seemed to be moving along very well, until I managed to spill the entire cup of coffee on the floor of the minivan :( Bugger!

Whatever, the drive in was uneventful as I was a tad earlier than usual, the "stupid" element apparently hadn't managed to get themselves on the roads yet, yay.

19 and sunny on the drive in, continues to be lovely weather here though we had some serious LOUD thunder overnight, but little rain to show for it. 28 for the high later.

EDIT: Forgot to note, as with everyone else awaiting news from Jock, and concur with the respect that he'll get here when appropriate - wishing them well.

That is going to be a very, hmm, useful path in winter - more like a slide I suspect.  Are they going to seal the surface?

Got a good soaking this morning as I looked in the wrong direction for my short range weather check! The wind is, unusually, from the East this morning which also means we have the 'delightful' aromas from the fishmeal factory in Killybegs wafting our way.

No posts for a while after today as I am off to the UK again. SVR on Friday, Scaleforum on Saturday, then off to see family and friends in Devon and Cornwall. Hoping for fine weather!

Hope to hear some good news from Jock before I go. Hope all goes well with your four legged friend Gordon. And the rest of you just look after yourselves.

....if you wear a large badge saying Killybegs at the SVR on Friday John I'll get you a pint.....weather permitting I'll be there with my dad.

Dave

• Like 9

time to get that washing bowl out again.

I am taking my dishwasher to the Rake in Borough Market tonight. She gets a night off washing!!

Hmmm. A few pints will ensure my silence. Hate to think of what would happen to you if she knew you said that. :butcher:

Thanks for the feedback. we've always had a dishwasher in the house since I was a teenager. Even my first flat had one. Going to be quite the adjustment. Trouble is the repair will be more than a cheap new one. Really don't fancy spending £200 or so for something that will have to be replaced next year. Just don't have the cash for a decent model that we can incorporate into the new kitchen just now. Argh. Time for a pair of marigolds and some elbow grease.

Mike, poured and brushed concrete paths like that are miles better in winter than the paths they build in the UK. From the look of it Ian's path is more like a municipal sidewalk than a residential path. The trick is to just keep the snow shovelled off and let the brushed surface act as traction.

Edited by AndrewC
  • Like 12

time to get that washing bowl out again.

I am taking my dishwasher to the Rake in Borough Market tonight. She gets a night off washing!!

I think I am my other half's dishwasher.

We have an actual dishwasher, but rarely use it (half a dozen times a year maybe). After about 10 years it filled up and wouldn't drain. Those cleaning tablets work wonders!

• Like 1

That is going to be a very, hmm, useful path in winter - more like a slide I suspect.  Are they going to seal the surface?

Mike,

I know it's hard to tell from the picture, but, we live in a location that is VERY weather-savvy, especially regarding snow/ice (as reported each winter by me :) ). The folks that do this work make sure the surface (whatever style you choose) is correctly textured for exactly the situations we experience all winter.

The surface has a brush finish that can't really be seen in the picture but will provide easy adhesion, and even easier clearing by our snow service. Once the snow is removed, and there is the smallest amount of sun on it, it'll be safer/more sure footed than walking down a high street in Surrey in summer :)

EDIT: Ahh, missed that Andrew already "explained". It's all about location and expertise :)

Another example, Minneapolis/St Paul airport rarely closes, even for BRIEF periods during winter. They pride themselves on it, even beating out many other severe weather locations here. Comparing that to the complete cock-up at Heathrow when there is 1/2 inch of snow/slush, is simply a result of being prepared and planning for the rather normal/prevailing conditions. Concrete paths/sidewalks, roads, runways, parking lots etc., are all built with our horrid weather extremes in mind. :jester:

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 12

Ian,I am delighted to find another user of the term "orilly men". I thought that my ex and I were the only ones and that none else would understand me. As I trype this I have scenes from that and other episodes going through my head'

Dishwashers-we had one, but she took it when we split. I didn't mind as I quite like washing up whilst listening to music or the radio. Both my sons have them (and still complain of poverty). I should add that My cleaning ladies always start off by washing up and making tea. They come on Monday morning so at the very least I do it on Sunday.

Microwaves-believe me these will be the next Asbestos. All these little chaps flying around and leaking out of the machines. I wouldn't mind so much if the food was any good. Pasties from a microwave? 

Ed

• Like 2

Looks fine to me Ian. Typical of concrete drives and sidewalks around me. I only prefer blacktop for driveways because it soaks up every degree of temperature from a cold sun.....

The fashion around me is for sub-heating elements - I’m interested because it would save my nuts from being frozen off when operating a snow blower but you have to pretty “hard core” (sic). I actually quite enjoy using the snow blower (and mowing the lawn) ‘cos the activity clears my mind.........

Best, Pete.

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

If our dishwasher became uneconomic to repair I think I would be expected to have one delivered in as short a time as possible. Well that is what happened to the first two we had. Dishwasher 3 seems ok. I think we had our first dishwasher in 1978.

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Mike,

I know it's hard to tell from the picture, but, we live in a location that is VERY weather-savvy, especially regarding snow/ice (as reported each winter by me :) ). The folks that do this work make sure the surface (whatever style you choose) is correctly textured for exactly the situations we experience all winter.

The surface has a brush finish that can't really be seen in the picture but will provide easy adhesion, and even easier clearing by our snow service. Once the snow is removed, and there is the smallest amount of sun on it, it'll be safer/more sure footed than walking down a high street in Surrey in summer :)

EDIT: Ahh, missed that Andrew already "explained". It's all about location and expertise :)

Another example, Minneapolis/St Paul airport rarely closes, even for BRIEF periods during winter. They pride themselves on it, even beating out many other severe weather locations here. Comparing that to the complete cock-up at Heathrow when there is 1/2 inch of snow/slush, is simply a result of being prepared and planning for the rather normal/prevailing conditions. Concrete paths/sidewalks, roads, runways, parking lots etc., are all built with our horrid weather extremes in mind. :jester:

Having changed planes at Minneapolis one winter I can concur with that.

A few years ago, our plane landed on time and our connecting flight to Portland was also on time until they had to delay it to await other lfights coming in late due ot bad weather elswhere in the USA. I did like the method of clearing the gate parking slot markings in the heavily falling snow - just drag a road cone through it!

Also we were de-iced out by the runway (rather than at the gate) which delayed us a bit more but understand why they do this at some airports after watching an aircrash investigation where a plane was de-iced at the gate but by the time it queued and got its take off slot it had frozen up again and crashed.

i have also been there in the summer when Air Force one landed with Bush on board. All the wifi went off and no flights allowed ot take of or land till the plane had landed and taxied ot its secure area and he had got into the motorcade vehicles

Edited by roundhouse

Ian,I am delighted to find another user of the term "orilly men". I thought that my ex and I were the only ones and that none else would understand me. As I trype this I have scenes from that and other episodes going through my head'

Dishwashers-we had one, but she took it when we split. I didn't mind as I quite like washing up whilst listening to music or the radio. Both my sons have them (and still complain of poverty). I should add that My cleaning ladies always start off by washing up and making tea. They come on Monday morning so at the very least I do it on Sunday.

Microwaves-believe me these will be the next Asbestos. All these little chaps flying around and leaking out of the machines. I wouldn't mind so much if the food was any good. Pasties from a microwave? 

Ed

Ed,

We're both (actually the whole family) great fans of Flatery Owls :jester: In fact for years now that's the only way we refer to any workers that are coming over to do stuff. Probably overkill, but it always then adds a smile to the day. I have so far avoided calling any of them "...a hideous orangutan..." :)

The dishwasher/microwave debate - we make fairly regular use of our microwave, definitely an essential part of US kitchen apparatus. Far as the dishwasher goes, I have taken on the super-hero persona of "Dishwasher man" assigned to my by my entire family. No-one ever does them but me, a trait I apparently got from my father. My OCD-like ways prevent me from having them done any other way, and even though we actually have a mechanical variety, it's really never used, as it seems to not do the job (the way I'd like!), and requires too much faffing about both rep and post washing to make it worth while. That and having to sod about stacking it correctly and remembering to buy soap etc., we have just never become users of that particular appliance.

• Like 2

Looks fine to me Ian. Typical of concrete drives and sidewalks around me. I only prefer blacktop for driveways because it soaks up every degree of temperature from a cold sun.....

The fashion around me is for sub-heating elements - I’m interested because it would save my nuts from being frozen off when operating a snow blower but you have to pretty “hard core” (sic). I actually quite enjoy using the snow blower (and mowing the lawn) ‘cos the activity clears my mind.........

Best, Pete.

Pete,

I used to feel the same and enjoyed the exercise, but increasing age has now taught me the greater lessons that, enjoying a G&T on the porch whilst watching someone else mow in summer, and awakening to the dulcet tones of a plow/snowblower clearing my driveway and paths without considering the "frozen nuts" option in winter, is money well spent :)

Agree on the blacktop driveway, that's what ours is. Neighbors with concrete seem to have more issues, as a rule, and theirs never clears as fast/easily as ours once the sun is out.

We get such extremes here especially with the sub-zero temperatures that few folks seem to consider the sub-heating elements as they can be costly and require fairly frequent maintenance/replacement in these northern climes - at least that's what I've heard, not first hand knowledge you understand.

• Like 11

I've just been to look at fridges. None of the "good" manufacturers make old-fashioned fridges with a small freezer compartment that fit under worktops any more. The fridge section of Currys is like the Grand Canyon with monster appliances towering over you. US cars never took on here because they are too big, so why doesn't the same apply to fridges? And the prices.....

Ed

Hmmm. A few pints will ensure my silence. Hate to think of what would happen to you if she knew you said that. :butcher:

Thanks for the feedback. we've always had a dishwasher in the house since I was a teenager. Even my first flat had one. Going to be quite the adjustment. Trouble is the repair will be more than a cheap new one. Really don't fancy spending £200 or so for something that will have to be replaced next year. Just don't have the cash for a decent model that we can incorporate into the new kitchen just now. Argh. Time for a pair of marigolds and some elbow grease.

Mike, poured and brushed concrete paths like that are miles better in winter than the paths they build in the UK. From the look of it Ian's path is more like a municipal sidewalk than a residential path. The trick is to just keep the snow shovelled off and let the brushed surface act as traction.

Would a nearly new washing machine not sell on Gumtree? GF has in the past fortnight sold on a fridge, bookcases and roller blinds, all at her asking price.

• Like 8