RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Good afternoon everyone. I've been to 'Emel 'Empstead to see a doctor. I was moved from the waiting area to "short" wait and a young porter sat next to me  He was a pleasant lad and, after wishing me a good morning, nodded to my "big slipper" and asked if it was coming off today. When I informed him that I was there for my arm he was defeated!

Ed

Sorry Rick, that's really trivial after your news which appeared whilst I was typing.

Edited by edcayton

• RMweb Premium

Perhaps of particular interest to Bill (but of course everyone's invited to have a look!) ...

Note that the majority of our NGT6s and all NGT8s and NGT12s have been outfitted with LED daytime running lights in the meantime, with all NGT8s and most of those NGT6s not so fitted from the factory having been refitted with coloured LED destination signs as well. Those NGT12s not yet fitted with LED signs will but not be so refitted in the near future, I understand.

I somehow particularly fancy the NGT6's sound...

• Like 16

I wouldn’t dismiss “Statins” out of hand, Mick. They’ve saved many lives since they were introduced - dig deeper!

I was prescribed Statins after my bypass operation and the only problem I had was joint pains. If I slept on my side, I found it difficult to move that arm the next morning. Similarly if I held my left arm across my chest for any length of time, I found my elbow would really ache. I had words with my G.P. and he reduced the dosage and the pains reduced.

Old age can be considered a curse but at least  you are experiencing it, more than some have been able to do.

• Like 6

BIN day in the Land of Ten Thousand Lakes (state motto!), though officially by whatever measure is used to identify a "lake" there are 11,842 (lakes more than 10 acres).

Was a quiet day yesterday, likely to be the same today.

7 on obtaining the newspaper from the front deck, lovely partly sunny day with no breeze, going for 10 for a high. Down to 1 tonight

Work is calling me back, have a good BIN day all.

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Its BIN day for us aswell on a Thursday but we rarely put a bin out. Most rubbish gets recycled - food in the comkposter, plastic and glass bottles plus tins go to the recycling bins in a car park in town and the rest only gets put out once am onth or so.

Rick - Sorry to hear of your news.

Only this weekend as we were driving along the motorways to and from Cumbria we had a few close calls, one where two cars a little in front collided with those behind braking hard. We were braking at a sensible level till a car decided to move into the space left and anchor up. Luckily no one was too close ot us in the other lane and we had to swerve to find braking space.

I often think that we are safe drivers keeping sensible distances on motorways etc. but that doesnt always help, especially if a vehicle was to come over the central reservation in the opposite direction.

Edited by roundhouse

• RMweb Premium

After a trip up the A38 and the M1 I am back in a wet Northwest Leeds.

From my observing friends on statins dodo all of them make you a tad quick tempered?

As today is Thursday I didn't expect to be listening to the students at a sports afternoon. Obviously the fees paid mean two afternoons a week are sports afternoons?

Rick, I hope the news and knee gets better.

Daren't show you a picture of my "work rooms"... As a business improvement manager I should really be applying 5s but so what!

Baz

• Like 2

From my observing friends on statins dodo all of them make you a tad quick tempered?

What EXACTLY do you mean by that?????

:) :) :)

Bin day here too I fear, only, because where we live is "unincorporated", that means I have to schlep everything for four miles in my truck to the county dumpsters. Actually, I have come to prefer that arrangement.

• Like 2

Andy,

That trackwork certainly looks superb - will you be producing point bases to make a similar job of junctions, as it would seem to be a shame to spoil the realistic feel of the line with mis-matching point-work? What is the production process for the plastic as a matter of interest - does it involve a moulding process? I must get around to studying the 3D printing principles!

Kind regards,

Jock.

Hi Jock,

Yes, the plan is to make points to match. I originally planned to only make the points and use SMP track, but I felt it was going to spoil the look of the points, so I'll probably end up making the track too, at least in the most prominent areas.

You can think of a 3-D printer as a sort of computer controlled hot-melt glue gun. It "paints" molten plastic one layer at a time to build a 3-D object. The track in the pic I posted is actually built up in 18 layers. Consequently, it's quite slow! A track base panel with nine sleepers takes around 15 minutes to print.

Cheers!

Andy

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

I haven't noticed any quick tempered changes since Aditi started taking statins. She is as ever her usual reasonable self. Only work related exhaustion makes her a tad tetchy but she immediately notices and apologises.

I am on a tiny dose of simvastatin. When I started taking them after a while I was getting some joint pains but it turned out to be something else anyway.

Tony

• Like 3

Good thing I went to check my tyre pressures this morning, the tread on the front r/h Michelin was making a bid for freedom. Went to my tyre man (not been for two years now) and, of course, his advice, correctly, was to change all the tyres due to age. The van is 6 years old, the tyres 7. Done 21000. I've never liked Michelins, am going for Kumho this time.

BUT I couldn't find the adaptor for the bl66dy locking wheel bolts! I haven't needed it in the time I've had the van, and thought I knew where it was. The tyre man said it's a VW dealer job, I'm sure I have seen "universal" ones. Anyway I'm now waiting for a very nice man from the RAC to turn up. Hopefully we can at least change to worst one for the spare.

When I get these bas****s off I'm going to throw them away. Like most anti-theft devices I'm sure they inconvenience the owner more than the thief. How long would it take a determined tea-leaf to get the wheels off if he wanted to?

Ed

who probably won't be able to afford his 0 Gauge train set now

• RMweb Gold

I'm on simvastatins too, although I don't know how.

I think it happened when I went to arrange my triannual hearing aid check.

I can't say I've noticed any side effects, but then since there wasn't anything wrong with me (well you know, apart from the dribbling from the side of the mouth and the hairs on the palms of my hand) I assume that they are some sort of preventative medication.

I think I can count on one hand how many times I've been to the doctors in the last few years, for which I am grateful, although I get the feeling I should take them up on their offers of medical MOTs which I haven't, as yet.

I'm of the old school where what the doctor says is law. I get the impression than today the doctor sees it as an equal partnership where they have to justify and explain every decision too you and, quite often, ask for your opinion/input too.

Edit: in fact I think I can count on both hands the number I've times I've been to see my G.P. in my life, although I do go walking with the current one and played bridge with a previous one.

Edited by BoD
  • Like 3

Is it true that US Postal delivery vans are right-hand drive so they can put the post in the box without getting out of the van?

Ed

Yes, it is true, although some of the delivery guys here (I think they are contractors to the USPS) drive their own LHD vehicles, and they just drive on the wrong side of the road!

EDIT: BTW, the mail boxes in rural areas like this are all on the same side of the road regardless of which side the house is on. Saves having to make two passes.

Edited by AndyID

Is it true that US Postal delivery vans are right-hand drive so they can put the post in the box without getting out of the van?

Ed

Old Italian lorries were also RHD so that the driver would be on the nearside on mountain hairpins - they were never fast enough to pass anything.

And I think 1920s Lancia Lambdas were similarly RHD.

What side were Swiss Post buses driven from?

dhig

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

When we first lived in Benfleet and even when we first lived in this house a street cleaning vehicle would visit our street once a fortnight. They were LH drive vehicles. However for some reason they always came at schoolchild dropping off time so the kerbs and drains were covered by parked vehicles.

Tony

• Like 3

News Update. The very nice RAC man succeeded in getting all four locking bolts off the van while I was making the tea! I am a much happier bunny.

Ed

That would be a relief! I managed to lose the special key for the locks on a Jeep we had. I was able to remove the locks by bashing a socket on to the fancy nuts. It produced enough friction that I was able to remove them with an air impact wrench quite easily. Makes me wonder why I wasted money buying them in the first place?

I suppose they act as some sort of detergent.

EDIT: typo

Edited by AndyID
  • Like 4

Another frustrating day where not a lot of work could be done thanks to others incompetence.

Sherry - If that living room isn't tidy, I certainly wouldn't post a photo of my living room or office.

Rick - I hope that the medics manage to diagnose the cause with the knee. Also thinking of your friends.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Dom

now I am back at home - what could have been in Leeds...

post-7650-0-67592800-1444936770_thumb.jpg

notice how high the pan wires are - that due to the UK requirements to get double decker buses under the wires safely...

but we like d the old ones best..

post-7650-0-04168700-1444936841_thumb.jpg

baz

• Like 18

and state bird the Loon.

I know I shouldn't laugh.

Indeed you are correct. They are a large waterfowl and delightful creatures, though quite shy. They have a very distinct call, and quite enjoyable to hear them on the lake in early evening or early morning.

post-20244-0-76620400-1444937157_thumb.jpg

This taken earlier this year of an adult and young. They usually stay in family units, two adults and 2 or three young, all year. They dive for food and can swim remarkable distances under water, often re-appearing easily 100 yds. or more from where they started.

• Like 14

And the Canadian one dollar coin is known as the 'loonie', due to the reverse side bearing the image of a loon. It wasn't supposed to show a loon, but the original dies, which featured a voyageur canoe, were lost in transit from the designer to the mint! They had to change the image or risk millions of counterfeit coins appearing in circulation. Of course, with the one dollar coin being known as a 'loonie', when a two dollar coin was introduced, it was christened the 'twonie'.

• Like 8