The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Been playing trains all afternoon... an eclectic mix of stock for Chapel en le Frith

attachicon.gifwhich bist broke (1280x583).jpg

how did an ICE get there??

Baz

Channel Tunnel..it's already been done!

Saw the real thing at St Pancras a few years ago.

Talking of getting felt, we have a leaving do in Soho in a few weeks time......

Seems weird this evening.we are in work back in London in the morning yet we are on a pub crawl around Edinburgh this evening.

Enjoyed the Borders line and got a few photos of a Union Of South Africa at Galashiels earlier.

Will post a few when I get chance but beer is calling again.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

I dipped in and out of the Rugby, but I did make a point of watching the Haka in its' entirety. What puzzled me was how the French team just stood there, instead of throwing the challenge back at the All Blacks

They could'nt find any tyres to burn at short notice ?      

• Like 1

Flavio, photos of my collection have already adorned the pages of ER in the past.

I bought a Squier when they were first introduced (sometime in the early eighties) it was made in Japan. I actually went shopping for a regular Fender - however this was the time that Fender were in their doldrums because embarrassingly the Squier was much better quality than the Fenders (made in the USA) in the store both in construction and sounds.

With the luck of the Irish, those early ones became collector items and have gone steadily up in value. I think it was made by the Ibanez people under contract to Fender. 

Since then, of course Fender emerged from a staff buyout from CBS and have gone from strength to strength (put simply).

I too like the Gilmour Signature version (though I don’t own one).

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 3

I knew that! (But then, living where I do, I should, shouldn't I?)

I guy I worked with and his wife, who were expecting twins, had a "babymoon" at an upscale local hotel. In the lineup for the breakfast buffet, they had a very interesting and pleasant conversation with another couple who already had twin boys with them - the said Mr. MacManus and Ms. Krall.

Did you know that Elvis Costello’s father wrote the jingle  “I’m a Secret Lemonade Drinker” for the R. White ads in the early seventies and they both sang on it?

I didn’t either until I checked this morning....

Dad is main singer, Dec is singing back up...

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 2

Evening All

I dipped in and out of the Rugby, but I did make a point of watching the Haka in its' entirety. What puzzled me was how the French team just stood there, instead of throwing the challenge back at the All Blacks...

I recall some Aussies got in trouble for 'disrespecting' the All Blacks a few years back by doing that, apparently now if you don't have a (approved) warcry (like Tonga do) then you just have to stand there till they're done.

• RMweb Premium

Diana Krall....Mmmmm!  One of my faves.

A busy day at Grumble Glen today, lot of work going on the rebuild our carriage shed, NHN was driving the works train with one of the Hudson-Hunslet diesels.  Carved from the solid things.  Cream crackered now, it was a day of moving lifting and skip filling!  Oh, and bring down the supply of coal for the santa trains, we have no road access to the shed/main station, everything has to be handballed onto a works train and handballed off again down the line.

Close to home project X has been declared compete bar power today, Mrs NHN was adding finishing touches - photos later.

• Like 12

We got a new dining room table recently and it could do with something to protect the surface. Where can I get felt?

SWMBO replaced the felt mat on our dining table last week - got it from Argos.

HTH,

Dave

• RMweb Gold

The $64,000 Question IS, Mike, how come neither DB or SNCF have disintegrated despite the EU rules also applying to both Germany and France?

iD

Fairly simple really - SNCF has basically just been split apart into train operations (sectorised) and infrastructure ownership and each carries on in their same old incredibly bureaucratic and amazingly old-fashioned (in many respects).  Germany has been rather more adventurous of course but basically the same split although more adventurous in terms of involving the Lander and cities in what amounts to local franchising with a separate state track authority.

Oddly the pre 1992 BR organisation could easily have been split in the same manner instead of being fully sectorised - bit daft in retrospect.

Another afternoon of brilliant rugby.

Ireland v Argentina was good to watch but unfortunately for Ireland, Argentina played to the Irish weaknesses.

Australia v Scotland an absolutely brilliant match. Just a pity about the offside 1 minute from the whistle.

The semi's next weekend will be worth watching but unfortunately for those in the Northern Hemisphere, not for the right reasons.

The 6 Nations is going to be very interesting

Edited by emt_911

Fairly simple really - SNCF has basically just been split apart into train operations (sectorised) and infrastructure ownership and each carries on in their same old incredibly bureaucratic and amazingly old-fashioned (in many respects).  Germany has been rather more adventurous of course but basically the same split although more adventurous in terms of involving the Lander and cities in what amounts to local franchising with a separate state track authority.

Oddly the pre 1992 BR organisation could easily have been split in the same manner instead of being fully sectorised - bit daft in retrospect.

Thanks for the explanation, Mike.

What I don't understand (have never worked in the rail industry) is why essentially European state operators DB and Abellio, for instance, are allowed to bid for franchises in the UK, but DOR was not able to bid for the EC franchise. Am probably missing something very straightforward. Apologies for being off-topic for ERs.

Mal

• Like 1

Another afternoon of brilliant rugby.

Australia v Scotland an absolutely brilliant match. Just a pity about the offside 1 minute from the whistle.

I blame myself for tuning in to watch those last moments.

I agreed to take 14 year old fanatical rugby playing 6' 4" grandson (his other grandad used to play for Scotland) to watch them play Samoa last week and regret to say I got caught up in it all.

dhig

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from the village.   Not a lot to report except that our dining table was used to fit some LED light strips to lengths of guttering this afternoon.  SWMBO is blissfully unaware of this as she was engrossed upstairs playing games on Farcebook.  

Jamie

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Evening all. Chuffed, given the shortish rest period between my shifts yesterday and today, but now two days off beckon. Sofa's been prepared already!

dsc006251mklh.jpg

First half took place on Turn 163, onto which 1117 "Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz" was booked and is seen here sat at the departure point in Lausen. Travel times are calculated differently for weekdays and weekends, and also for different times of day, and I found Line 1 to be a handful under Sunday conditions. The fact of small cars – generally, NGT8s – being booked on this line on Sundays in combination with periods of intense passenger activity didn't exactly help either!

dsc00627zrkvm.jpg

However, during the second half, I went to Line 2 and worked Turn 245, worked with 1345 "Stünz" today. Here, I was stood at the Grünau-Süd loop. On Sundays, Line 2 operates only between roughly 12 and 6 pm, so this half involved depot return.

dsc0063169jpu.jpg

At Naunhofer Straße, on the last full round before depot return. However, while en route, Control notified me of an incident involving a car having got stuck on the track somewhere on the Grünau route, and advised me to divert to the Großzschocher loop at Gerhard-Ellrodt-Straße, tracing a significant part of the southern half of Line 3. This inevitably resulted in some passenger frenzy as I informed my ridership at the Adler intersection. However, I completed my depot return out of Großzschocher with just about 6 minutes of overall delay, which I think is totally acceptable under such circumstances.

img_3471bikfg.jpg

And finally, 1345 found itself on the maintenance pit at the Angerbrücke workshops for sand loading.

Ta for now, folks. Sofa's calling!

Edited by 1216 025
  • Like 16

Evening all. Chuffed, given the shortish rest period between my shits yesterday and today, but now two days off beckon. Sofa's been prepared already!

Ta for now, folks. Sofa's calling!

Those bowel movements must have been epics, Dom.

Liked the photos of the trams, as always.

• Like 1

Evening all.

A quick dive in before I prepare my application to be elected to the diocese's board of trustees.  It needs to be posted tomorrow because I'm off to York in the morning.

Rugby prediction: New Zealand v Argentina.

Best wishes everyone.

Bill

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

An Englishman and a Welshman were sitting in a pub.

They were waiting for their friend from Scotland............................

That pub is now standing room only and four deep at the bar.

....... and they are all from the Northern hemisphere.  :(

• Like 10