The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Good morning one and all.  Fingers crossed that the zoom does not kick in again for it is such a distraction.

Something on the radio made me chuckle yesterday - a re-recording of one of the lost episodes of 'Hancock's Half Hour'.  Perhaps comedy is a generational thing but so much of what is emitted today leaves me utterly cold.  Top of that list has to be Count Arthur Strong but if its perpetrator thinks it is funny who am I to argue?

The concert in St Pancras Old Church was first class.  It was the penultimate date of Calan's tour and there were very few empty seats.  Quite where the chairs came from I dread to think but if there are reports of a primary school having been robbed the church would be a good place to look.  Both the lead singer of the band and their manager, who just happens to be her father, are rather good clog dancers and was it not fortunate that they had a black stone, possibly with lettering, on which to dance. The CD that I took with me is now signed and, as it happens, is next to go in the car CD player to help me through some of the drearier motorway journeys - that on Sunday to Warley being a prime example!  My journey to the concert started with an irritation: to have to wait 25 minutes for a bus on a 12 minute frequency is far from ideal.  [Yes, I know, be thankful that there are buses and that you have a bus pass to use on them.]  After the gig a brisk walk to St Pancras and a sort of gallop across the concourse saw me safely on the 22.48, sadly an all-stations train but still into Bedford at midnight.

Today I need to buy some festive stamps and divide the time remaining between bashing on with the cards and bashing on with the model that I still plan to show off on Wednesday evening.  A distraction yesterday was the arrival of the latest GWR Journal, always welcome and always fascinating.

Best wishes to the ailing, the recovering and the unsuspecting.   Is that everyone?

Chris

• Like 19

Morning All,

Like Jock, we have the first really cold morning of the year.  This morning, we woke to freezing fog and the temperature at 0°C.  Here at work, the temperature is a slightly colder -1°C but clear.  Fortunately, I made the garden "winter safe" a few weeks ago - only the water butts need to be drained.

Yesterday afternoon saw a trip to the opthamologist.  My pupils were dilated and he peered around inside my head.  Fortunately, everything seems to be in order.

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.
The run up to Warley is always a busy time as I get instructions for my floor checking on Thursday, table putting out Friday and coaxing the demo team into action. Jock, Jamie is demonstrating this year so should be talking to all visitors including RMWebbers.

Other RMWebbers who are demoing include
Mick newbryford
Lner 4479
GR King
Mr.S.corn78 the founder of ERs
Mike Edge
Tony Wright
Davy
Redgate models
And of course...me.

I wonder how that happened?

Have a great Tuesday everyone.
Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 16

Also called at a Supermarket (they sell food and other stuff).
Not enough checkouts open for the crowds of shoppers.
After standing in the queue for ten minutes a fellow came and put a notice up saying this till is closing - use another one.
I advised him of his mistake and gave him his notice back to cheers from the queue.

"Mr.S.corn78 the founder of ERs"

Gordon S. may have a view on that!

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.

The run up to Warley is always a busy time as I get instructions for my floor checking on Thursday, table putting out Friday and coaxing the demo team into action. Jock, Jamie is demonstrating this year so should be talking to all visitors including RMWebbers.

Other RMWebbers who are demoing include

Mick newbryford

Lner 4479

Growing

Mr.S.corn78 the founder of ERs

Mike Edge

Tony Wright

Davy

Redgate models

And of course...me.

I wonder how that happened?

Have a great Tuesday everyone.

Baz

Yes Baz, I'm looking forward to Demoing on Stand A61  along with Supersonic (Dave) so look forward to meeting any RMWebbers.  I do have a request though.  If any of the crowd mentioned above or any others on here are billeted in the Premer Inn at Solihull I would be grateful of a lift to and from Solihull on Friday night/Sat morning.   We are involved in a complicated transport sharing arrangement with two club based layouts and I don't really want to take the lorry to Solihull.  Saturday/Sun is fine.

Jamie

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Duncan

It's been pouring all morning from at least 04.30 just south of the downs here in Surrey just a a few miles from you.

Had a phone call form one of our crew for the weekend. He might have to drop out due to his mother having a nasty fall. Hopefully have so one in reserve if he does have to.

Continued weathering my S15 this morning but just as I was turning it to do the other side of the tender, the chimney came off and I dropped the loco. Luckily only a half inch onto the modelling table but the chimney went flying along with one of the tool boxes in the tender. Both found and chimney now glued on properly. The tool box is a little more tricky.

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Rather a damp start today but should clear and brighten up later but still with the chance of the odd shower.

Ian, glad to hear the good news about Jemma.

Up at half past stupid o'clock this morning as The Boss needed to get to work earlier than usual so after that I went back to bed  for a couple of hours.

Today will see me "Once more unto the breach under the layout dear friends". After testing yesterday yet again I think at long last I may have cured the troublesome bit. If I am right I may actually get one complete circuit fitted. Possibly. Maybe.

Usual visit from Joe & Gemma after school later so even if the railway goes wrong I will end up smiling.

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 10

Definitely a rabbit at Eastleigh!

When my son had keyhole surgery on his knee, he was given a video recorded from the camera that the surgeon was using to carry out the op. It wasn't very pleasant viewing but it did show the moment right at the end when a blood vessel was nicked and the screen went red. Presumably the surgeon didn't spot it and Rupert had to go back in a week later to have a huge haematoma removed. We contended that there should have been no charge for the repair work, so we sent a copy of the video to the insurance company but we never heard whether or not they used it.

Showery this morning, only got a little bit wet on our walk.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Funny about being offered to see the photos - when I had hip surgery, at the post-op follow up the surgeon, who was very 'Consultanty' (ie miserable arrogant git) came alive with humanity and interest after he offered to show me the photos and I accepted.  Apparently most folk run a mile at the suggestion.  I was muchly impressed, what looked like raw mince at the beginning was all nice and neat at the end!  Gave me an appreciation of their skills, and an understanding of the pain......the memory of which has faded now, but at the time was somewhat uncomfortable.  A replacement would have been much less so apparently, but I was declared too young - which is a good thing, I think!

I had a similar experience with my op - except that my consultant was a very human type, who did not have a "Doctor knows bes"t attitude and involved me in all the stages of the process.  However at the post op, I was given the chance to see the photos and also the x-rays, and it was evident from these just what skill there is in this type of surgery, and the surgeon was clearly pleased that I appreciated that fact.

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Warmer and wetter out here today.

Jamie, I haven't lived in Solihull for quite a few years but parking a lorry at the Solihull Premier Inn could be difficult if not impossible. Though there are three Premier Inns in Solihull, the one near the shopping mall only has pay parking available.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Morning all. Wet'n'windy on t'ootside and I understand it has been snowing in Leipzig, where we'll be headed after noon or so. Might get some lunch up here prior to that, though.

Enjoy what you're up to!

• RMweb Premium

Morning All

Another trip to town to pick up another demodified shoe back from Orthotics.  At our hospital, the Orthotics, Physio, and Occupational Therapy are all housed in an annexe which is at the bottom of a steep incline - really clever planning to site departments which are more for the mobility impaired in such a location - and the hospital bus (every 1.5 hours) only stops at the top of the hill as the turning area outside the buiding doesn't accommodate the new buses that Stagecoach are using which are larger than the ones that the previous operator used!!!???

Great to hear that Jemma has had the treatment needed to enable her to keep flying.  Hope the recovery is quick and trouble free.

I missed posting yesterday and it has taken an age to catch up - so it has to be the usual generic greetings.

Regards to All

Stewart

Edited by 45156

• RMweb Premium

' Morning all from red dragon land.

More rain. Dark.  Lights on.

Not exactly very motivating.

Maybe I'll digest that magazine the OH bought (er...who actually paid for it?), yesterday.

Catch up later.

Wishing you all a useful day.

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Further to Baz's list of RM Webbers at Warley,  I shall be undercover on Saturday, disguised as a pimp for the EM Gauge Society.(C57)

Sadly there will be no portable muddy hollow, nor a pop up hippodrome in which to entertain those foolish to stop for more than a few seconds.

I appreciate that not every one will wish to join the EMGS, but I'm also quite happy to accept donations for the Central African Sanctuary for Hippos (CASH)

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

That's definitely a rabbit. Hares have longer ears as the most obvious difference and don't suddenly disappear down holes. The EH rabbits have burrows under the tracks opposite the station that link the East and West Yards. The camo is certainly good in that environment; I only spotted it first because it was moving. Jock, I was actually taking reference shots of ballast wagons, not for my own use (too modern), but I will probably post a collection somewhere. The  differences in weathering and survival of older liveries impart some interest to what at first sight is a monotonous rake. The contents vary as well. Three rakes of wagons loaded with spoil were parked for most of the summer and early autumn and each wagon supported a healthy growth of weeds and wild flowers.

The virtual quarry is having yard lights installed as well as various track improvements and changes to the layout, so I expect it will get busier.

A light source briefly appeared outside and the rain stopped a while ago. Hopefully it's gone for a while. I have declared it to be winter, so I can stop being hard and start wearing a scarf; about a week too late, as I've got a sore throat.

Have a good day, and best wishes to those ailing or recovering.

Pete

• Like 11

Morning all.

Managed to get to the post office today, and picked up my parcels. Mentioned the "knock and run" delivery "attempt" to them, so they suggested I rent a parcel locker; suggesting that I'd rather they just delivered it was met with unintelligible mumblings.

Still, at least I now have some rather nice German made metric bolts (they also sent me some chocolate, though that didn't last long), plus some other bits and pieces.

Expecting the groceries to get delivered soon; delivery costing considerably less than the trip to the post office and back.

Enjoy your day all.

Having not seen any over the summer I spotted one of the Eastleigh rabbits this afternoon and watched it hopping about and grazing for several minutes.

I was imagining dodgy springs on the wagon, then I saw the bunny.

LisaP4, I've been looking in on your '16mm Loco' thread and truly admire the sheer guts, as well as knowledge and skill that you are applying to such a project, starting completely from scratch. Did you acquire your knowledge and skills from your father, or did you also study engineering?

Thanks, it should be an interesting build. I did do a short "pre-apprenticeship" course just after being kicked out of leaving high school, wasn't interested in an apprenticeship, but the course was interesting. However most of what I've learnt has come from dad, other model engineers, books, magazines, experimentation, etc.

"Mr.S.corn78 the founder of ERs"

Gordon S. may have a view on that!

Indeed, Gordon started it, then blamed me! Edited by LisaP4
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Rain has stopped and not predicted to return today. I'm afraid that if I was ever to go into hospital for an op I most definitely wouldn't want to see the movie, blood and gore is not my style. I mentioned that I no longer have spell check and I thought it was down to Windows 10. I've just found out that it is working on Chrome but not on Firefox so I must have inadvertedly switched it off on Firefox. Commiserations and congratulations where necessary, have a good day all.

• Like 1